Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Inexpesive Electric Retracts

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Inexpesive Electric Retracts

Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inexpesive Electric Retracts

Tired of paying Robart and Sierra prices than take a look at these. Before you past judgment read the reviews.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdKGnr3lQE
Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying these are the same quality as Robart and Sierra?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:35 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did I say anything about quality? It may come as a surprise but the old saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply. Both Robart and Sierra have their problems and if you don't believe me than check out the forums on Robart electric retracts. Sierra doesn't offer one and the pneumatic version needs to be converted. I'm not promoting this brand only informing others there is a cheaper route to take.QUOTE=w0mbat;12026422]Are you saying these are the same quality as Robart and Sierra?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I dont see hobbyking doing scale Fw190, P51, Bearcat, spitfire, hurricane, P38 all metal landing gear, so there isnt a cheaper alternative
Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using Sierra, Robart, and the electric Hobby King retracts in different planes and the HK gear are just as good. It will take a while longer to prove that the HKs are as durable over the long run, but they sure look good so far. How many sets of $60 HK retracts can you buy for the price of a set of Sierra's or Robart's?
Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM
deatonbt

The Hobby King retracts are as scale as any other. Different angles are available on different sets of retracts. It is the strut that really makes for the scale appearance of the landing gear. Struts from one brand can easily be used on another. Really it is whether a mfg. makes the landing gear in the size needed for the plane.

Brian

Last edited by deatonbt; 04-22-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:51 PM
radfordc

I've set up my 90 degree HK electric retracts to only go 85 degrees. I put a small aluminum shim between the trunnion block and the frame to stop the movement before the leg fully extends. The retracts lock up solid and seem as strong as before.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

I read the reviews but there were no reviews from actual use. The video didn't really show anything but the motor running. I have to wonder what will happen after a hard landing. I just found it strange that Sierra and Robart were used as a price comparisons when it's obvious from the photos that the quality is not even close to being the same. The tons of other failed Chinese gear would probably have made a better comparison quality-wise.

The problem is that one failure from $60.00 retracts can easily make up for the price of a set of Sierra or Robarts. If you only have a couple hundred dollars invested in your aircraft, it's probably worth the risk, however, I wouldn't risk my $2000.00 airplane on a set of $60.00 gear - no matter who made them!
Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM
XTRA230
My Feedback: (10)

I Am using the HK retracts and over 100 cycles and still going well There are plenty of legs around that can be grafted on these Legs IMHO
Rob
Old 04-22-2015, 04:20 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by w0mbat
I read the reviews but there were no reviews from actual use. The video didn't really show anything but the motor running. I have to wonder what will happen after a hard landing. I just found it strange that Sierra and Robart were used as a price comparisons when it's obvious from the photos that the quality is not even close to being the same. The tons of other failed Chinese gear would probably have made a better comparison quality-wise.

The problem is that one failure from $60.00 retracts can easily make up for the price of a set of Sierra or Robarts. If you only have a couple hundred dollars invested in your aircraft, it's probably worth the risk, however, I wouldn't risk my $2000.00 airplane on a set of $60.00 gear - no matter who made them!
I know what happens with a hard landing...nothing. I've knocked the HK gear out of the wing twice with no damage to the gear.

You've stated that the HK are lesser quality than Robart...with no testing or evidence to support your statement.

You believe that higher price equates to higher quality...with no evidence or experience to verify your belief.

Anyone who has used Robart or Sierra gear for a while has had or seen a failure...it happens.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pair of the Sierra rotating retracts for my p_40 and they are excellent. I tried 2 different brands of electrics and sent both back because they had so much slop and couldn't lift the gear with 4" wheels. What weight plane are you flying? We all know there is no service after the sale with HK so if I have to keep buying them over and over again then I would be better off buying a quality set once. I would agree that some of the Robart gear suck. Particularly the 615s I rarely find anything good and cheap they are one or the other.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:44 PM
radfordc

The HK retracts are in my 50cc ESM LA-7. The Sierra rotators are in a Skyshark 55cc P-40, and the Robarts are in a TF giant P-47. They all work very well.

I agree you don't want to buy inexpensive gear that doesn't hold up and/or doesn't work. So far the HK gear have been a success...time will tell. The worst luck I've had with electric gear was a set of Robarts. They were repaired by the factory twice and never did work for more than two flights in a row.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 PM
stegl

I have the more sturdy HK electric retracts that ran about $70 each and there is a considerable difference in the electric motor drive system compared to my DreamWorks Pro-Link system. But then, agreed, there is quite a spread in price difference. So yes, you do get what you pay for I would think

I have to agree with WOMBAT that when you are talking about a 2000 plus dollar airframe and the damage that could happen with a failure then the cheap retracts aren't really cheap but can cost bucks. Also agree that there may be retract brands that may be overpriced , not specifying which but will leave it up to the buyer to decide what they want to use and what they want to spend....

The internet is an excellent source to research what one wants if done correctly . Read a bit between the lines as each person has their likes partly maybe because they may have never tried anything else and others repeat what they have read or heard. Researching costs you nothing but buying the wrong equipment does. Just my nickel .

Last edited by stegl; 04-22-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Duncman

our local pylon racers use them under harsh and demanding conditions but do so with caution as HK as a bad reputation for customer support.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by stegl
I have the more sturdy HK electric retracts that ran about $70 each and there is a considerable difference in the electric motor drive system compared to my DreamWorks Pro-Link system. But then, agreed, there is quite a spread in price difference. So yes, you do get what you pay for I would think
I bought a set of more expensive electric retracts from HK a couple of years ago. They were the RC Lander brand and were basically useless. These new retracts are far better.

I have to agree with WOMBAT that when you are talking about a 2000 plus dollar airframe and the damage that could happen with a failure then the cheap retracts aren't really cheap but can cost bucks. Also agree that there may be retract brands that may be overpriced , not specifying which but will leave it up to the buyer to decide what they want to use and what they want to spend....
I wonder why WOMBAT, who flys $2000 planes with $600 retracts would even bother to read and comment in a thread called "inexpensive electric retracts"? It seems like he wouldn't have much perspective on the topic.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:21 AM
hsukaria

Here's a low-cost retract source if you are looking for some: http://www.pw-rc.com/index.php/cPath...724c52838bc2c1

I bought their large 90 degree rotating pair with oleo struts for a Top Flite P-40 60-size. I plan on rebuilding the plane and installing these soon. They worked well on the bench and seem robust. But I fly off a grass field, so I can't really tell if they will work for me until I actually fly them.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 AM
raptureboy

It would be great if we had a Consumer Reports for model plane gear that would rate products in a controlled and non bias way. All the time and $ spent buying and trying and dealing with crappy stuff really makes me want to quit the hobby sometimes.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by raptureboy
It would be great if we had a Consumer Reports for model plane gear that would rate products in a controlled and non bias way. All the time and $ spent buying and trying and dealing with crappy stuff really makes me want to quit the hobby sometimes.
I can sympathize with that. It gets pretty risky when getting into big and expensive models. That is one reason that I stay with cheaper planes (besides not having the money to begin with). Anyway, the model I will be using the PW-RC retracts is on an airframe that I bought for $25 and I plan on making that project as an excercise in cheapness. In other words, $100 glow engine, re-used servos, Chinacote covering, etc... It will be a "case study in cheapness". It is bound to be a learning experience, regardless of a successful outcome or not.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 AM
raptureboy

Sounds good to me. It's funny how much work we will put into say detailing a warbird making it all pretty when the real thing often looked like it had been to a demolition derby. Might be fun to make one up with patches and dents and fly the crap out of it.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Might be fun to make one up with patches and dents and fly the crap out of it.
Hey, that sounds like all my models!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM
chistech

While I don't build or own big models, I do have lots of hours into my builds and have tried many retracts. In a 50sz models I find air a PITA and would prefer mechanicals over them. Since electrics came out I've been trying them. One pair of Lados have been great. One my standard 90d needs I originally tried the HK plastic trunnion ones that worked well but would loosen up some after repeated flights off of grass. At $7 ea it was no big deal to replace. One issue I found is that the rails have to be perfectly even with each other or when screwing the retract down tight, the retract would sometimes not move. I also had a pair of E-flites do the same and they were metal bodied. I have been using the $8 metal trunnion .60 size retracts with great success. They lift big tires with doors and even close mechanical secondary doors on one of my builds. They do seem to work better on 6v when using oleos, big tires, etc. that adds a lot of extra weight. That said, the HK's seem to be getting much better than they originally were. The Lander gear they sell is not good.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 AM
stegl

Originally Posted by radfordc
I bought a set of more expensive electric retracts from HK a couple of years ago. They were the RC Lander brand and were basically useless. These new retracts are far better.

I wonder why WOMBAT, who flys $2000 planes with $600 retracts would even bother to read and comment in a thread called "inexpensive electric retracts"? It seems like he wouldn't have much perspective on the topic.
When I read wombats comments ; I take them as comments and he is entilled to them and maybe he has learned from experience. As for the rest of the comments and opinions ; It pretty much reinforces what wombat has said and what I have said. Almost everyone agrees that from their experience they buy cheap... don't work or don't work well and then they buy again ... that don't work or it "breaks" and then if they are really into having retracts and haven't given up so they buy again...... my question is why not buy good ones and be on your way in the first place OR stay away from buying retracts in the first place.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
radfordc

my question is why not buy good ones and be on your way in the first place OR stay away from buying retracts in the first place.
I agree that retracts can be a PITA so staying away does have an attraction. But, if you like warbirds, retracts are a necessary evil. If money isn't a problem everyone should buy Sierra or Robart. If you are on a budget then finding "good and inexpensive" items is what you want. The new HK gear so far have been "good and inexpensive" for me. I didn't say they were "the best"...I said "good".

A set of Robart electric retracts (main and tailwheel) for my ESM LA-7 would run over $600. The same thing from HK was under $100. Now if I had to replace the HK gear 6 times I would still be money ahead. My experience so far says that won't happen. We will see.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 AM
hsukaria

When I read wombats comments ; I take them as comments and he is entilled to them and maybe he has learned from experience. As for the rest of the comments and opinions ; It pretty much reinforces what wombat has said and what I have said. Almost everyone agrees that from their experience they buy cheap... don't work or don't work well and then they buy again ... that don't work or it "breaks" and then if they are really into having retracts and haven't given up so they buy again...... my question is why not buy good ones and be on your way in the first place OR stay away from buying retracts in the first place.
I think the real problem is that the expensive retracts sometimes are not good enough either. I wish it were a simple: cheap = bad, expensive = good. But that is not always the case, thus the confusion and frustration.

Maybe start building warbirds that did not have retractable landing gear?

Last edited by hsukaria; 04-23-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I have seen is the 40-120 size retracts but when you get to the 1/5+ scale planes they have nothing to compare with Sierra or Robart gears. When you get to the 1/5 scale planes the gears can take a beating and I had to replace a few China gears with Robarts and Sierras.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.