Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Inexpesive Electric Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Inexpesive Electric Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 AM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
Yep...same thing, only 10 times harder to install and adjust.
Actually, mechanical mains are a breeze and I do prefer them. Problem is the speed on scale is just to fast. I did an install thread years ago because so many guys had a hard time installing mechanical gear. Only difference is having to add the servo in the center of the wing. The thread even showed how to set up mechanical gear in a corsair if I remember right. I still have many Kyosho ARF war birds flying with mechanical gear and they go up and down every time.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 AM
chistech

Well, it is rebuildable at least.
Is that the ESM ARF? I'm curious if you're having flight problems. I assemble many ARF's for flyers and have always found the CG listed on ESMs to be way off. The Stuka was one of the worst. WM ARF's also suffer from the same thing.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the LA-7 is an ESM ARF. The plane flys (flew) like a dream. I screwed up the takeoff....went full power too fast and jerked the plane into the air. It torque rolled to the left and I couldn't save it.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:12 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I too have installed many servo driven mechanical retracts. If I never have to do another one it will be soon enough. With the HK electrics just bolt them into the wing and plug into the Rx. Finished!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
I respectfully disagree about using thread lock on the grub screws. The inserts are brass, and even blue Loctite will bond to them. Not a good idea if you happen to tweak the strut and can't get it out. Instead of Loctite use TWO grub screws on each side. The second one, 3x3, will lock the first one in good enough. I have five sets flying, none came loose. Just an alternative.
That is a very good tip. Thanks.

Cheers,
Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 AM
chistech

Yes, the LA-7 is an ESM ARF. The plane flys (flew) like a dream. I screwed up the takeoff....went full power too fast and jerked the plane into the air. It torque rolled to the left and I couldn't save it.
Ah, the dreaded "gun and run"! LOL Not saying it's the way you normally fly, just what happened in the picture. For most, it's the biggest part of loosing a tail dragger it seems. Lots of guys don't get enough ground speed first and though they might get airborne, there's not enough airspeed to keep them that way. I had one guy I was trying to help keep telling me it was a radio problem that was causing his plane to go left after take off. After doing it two times, with a Kyosho p51, (with no damage if you can believe it), he let me try it and it got airborne just fine with no problems. I tell guys when you're on the ground, the ground is your friend. Don't get off it until you're going fast enough.

Glad to hear your ESM flies fine. The stuka was maiden by me and I found it tail heavy causing it to stall on landing and damage the fuse slightly below the tail. (I was holding down elevator the whole flight to keep it from a severe nose up attitude(stall) and when landing I eased off just slightly causing a "space shuttle" nose up attitude at about 2' off the ground. It immediately stalled and cart lightly wheeled causing the fuse damage to the glass fuse.) Once it was repaired and the CG changed it flew well but the owner lost it while flying it off a beach up near Boston.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 PM
chistech

Update on my HK retracts in my Shinden Kai. After many flights and many cycles still no issues with the $8 units. I do have to admit the Kai lands really nice and light so not a lot of stress on most flights. I did have one dead stick and a failure to raise my flaps put my in the tall grass just off the runway. Gear was down and I ripped one gear out of the wing. Didn't even break the plastic flange. Gear went back in and is still working like new. The Kai is back to normal too with the damage virtually unnoticeable. Building to kits right now, Aero Tech Sea Fury and Skyshark Dauntless, both will have the same HK units I've been using and struts with 3 1/2 and 3" wheels respectively.