Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P 51d mustang 60cc hangar 9 build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P 51d mustang 60cc hangar 9 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 PM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhhh....screw it! I ordered another one, gonna give it another shot!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 PM
CaptRKO

So...mine arrived today in very nice condition....very little wrinkles or dents like the earlier production airplanes. I also want to make sure that everyone READS the next statement.

I GOT A COCKPIT KIT.... this confirms it is still included in the kit, maybe not available to order by itself but it was included in my kit.

I am very happy and the overall covering and finish...MUCH better then the one I bought back in 2015.

I am missing the Rudder, and the cockpit canopy frame....no where to be found. Bummer (but I will email Tower Hobbies and I am sure they will take care of it.)

Still trying to narrow down an engine choice. I know about overheating issues with the Pitts style muffler and the carb. The Evolution G-62 was no good the last time around, I believe my airplane I build it 2015 is still flying and now has a DLE-55RA. I was thinking maybe a DLE-61 and use a Bennett muffler but NOT a Pitts, cut the cowl and let the side mounted muffler setup do its job and keep eveything cooler. Not sure....just want to avoid heating issues--yes I know about making a baffle but I think the issue with this tight cowl is the exhaust and carb getting all the heat and not escaping.

Anyhow.....lets get to building "round 2"
Old 02-13-2019, 07:52 PM
CaptRKO

Very little wrinkles or dents/scuffs unlike the last one I built....

Wing tubes fit right in....no other alignment issues! This was right out of the shipping container. Again the Cockpit kit comes compete...however NO RUDDER! Apparently they "forgot it". It looks like they finally fixed all the little QA issues. I got this one from Tower Hobbies.
Oh. yeah....before I got too far into the "build" I checked the wing tubes and alignment....DEAD NUTS on....they must have done a QA on the factory and fixed all this stuff!

She fits together well......right out of the box!
Old 02-13-2019, 07:53 PM
CaptRKO

Anyone else out there flying/building/assembling/drewling over one of these? Chime in please!

WHERE DID EVERYONE GO????? HELLO?

Last edited by CaptRKO; 02-14-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 PM
BigSky1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things kind of dried up around here. I'm interested in your build though CaptRKO, as well as any updates on the OP's build.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought one used. I have to install engine, servos etc. Plane came with air gear, but also a set of Robart electric mains. I think I'll go with the electric gear, but going to check it out and make sure it works. Installing a DLE 55 with a pitts muffler. Installing engine at an angle so I won't have to cut out cowl for the muffler. I would like info on real world cg and control throws.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 AM
RBean

I got on the Tower Hobby website and was able to down load the manual. So I have the recommended control throws and cg range. I've tested the electric Robart gear. They work. Just have the mains. It has the retractable tail wheel. I was going to just leave it fixed in down, but when I removed it I saw that I might be able to convert it to electric with a electric power unit from Robart 810 gear that didn't work out. Had to fashion a frame and used a long machine screw. It works.

I mounted the engine, a DLE 55. The pitts muffler I have for it is too big so I had to order a Jtec Compact Pitts muffler. Problem is not cooling air to cylinder but to the I have put in air scoops to get air from the scoop below the spinner and duct to the upper rear to above the rear mounted carb. I'll put a air dam or cowl flap on the air exit. That way I've got high pressure air above the carb and low pressure below, which should draw cooling air over the carb the then the muffler and out. This worked on a DLE 20 in a TF 1/7 scale Mustang, so should work here. I have some pictures but have not loaded to computer.

Also I'll see if I can angle the gear forward some and at the same time use the gear doors. We'll see.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:27 AM
RBean

Here are the air ducts to keep carb cool, I hope.

Here is exit for cooling air.

I've spent the last three months getting this thing together. It has been one of those project where every little thing became a PITA. Finally got it all done. Test ran the engine at home. I hope my cooling arrangement is ok. The CG is about 7" back. According to the instructions that is the rear limit. Any actual real world info on this. I can move some batteries forward a little if necessary. I have the Robert electric gear, also had to fashion servo mount for the inner gear doors. Finally got the sequencer working. Hope to test fly soon, weather permitting. Here are some photos.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 PM
RBean

I waited until good weather for the test flight. Light wind down the runway. Started ok. High speed taxi down the black top runway revealed it's squirely until tail comes up. Taxied back and took off from grass next to the runway. It took a lot of up trim. Other than that ok. gear up ok except the inner doors were half way down. Not sure why, so extended the gear. Full flaps with 10% up elevator mix worked ok. Landed on the mains on the grass.

I was afraid it might be tail heavy at aft limits, but it was not. I had two Nimha batteries and a Life battery. Now all Life Batteries since I don't need that much weight up front. The inner doors were half down because the light weight servo arms broke. I've re-engineered the linkage and think I have that fixed now. The engine ran fine with no evidence of over heating.

Over all, it was a success with no major issues.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 PM
RBean

I flew the Mustang again today. Did a few maneuvers, loops, rolls, cuban eights, reverses. Enough power with the DLE 55. Only problem is the left inner door stayed open after gear retraction. Went ahead and flew with it that way. Landing was on the mains on the grass. Post flight inspection revealed the left inner door servo had died. It has now been replaced. With the lighter Life batteries, it took two clicks down but was not tail heavy. The control rates and throws need some minor adjustment but that is all. So far I like the plane. Now I need to find the right pilot for this plane. Any suggestions?

w
Old 08-21-2019, 04:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Warbird Pilots
www.warbirdpilots.com
Old 08-22-2019, 05:38 PM
RBean

Barracuda, thanks for the info. A plane has to have a pilot, otherwise the FAA will think it is one of those UAV things.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:54 AM
RBean

Flew the Mustang again. Left inner door would not close after gear retracted. Landed after a short flight. The servo was inop. Replaced with another servo of the same type, it also quite working. There is more load on this left door than I realized. I had one Hitec retract servo. Don't know why I had just one. Ordered another. Installed both retract servos and adjusted linkage. Doors seem to work ok.

However on the last flight I flew longer and at higher power longer. Landed ok considering the cross wind. Then while taxiing back, Engine speed increased. Taxied into grass and cut the power. I think this was carb getting too hot and engine leaning out on the ground without the high speed airflow through the cowl. I have now fashioned an aluminum heat shield between the carb and pitts muffler. Hopefully this will help.

Last edited by RBean; 09-01-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:03 PM
RBean

I got to fly the Mustang yesterday. Finally had a flight without problems. The inner gear doors worked ok re-equipped with retract servos. Also no overheat problems on taxi back after landing, so the heat shield between the carb and pitts muffler seems to be working, at least delaying leaning until plane is parked. Good takeoff and good landing. Handles well.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:43 PM
RBean

I flew the Mustang a month ago. First flight was fine. Every thing worked ok and a good landing. On the next flight I lost throttle control. No electronic ignition switch. Was running at half throttle. Circled until engine quit, misjudged approach and plane was caught in a tall tree at approach end of runway. Got the plane down with out too much damage. The engine had come loose. The fine threaded steel bolts had stripped out of soft aluminum threads of the standoffs. So I used steel 1/4" blind nuts and 1/4" steel bolts, drilled out the standoffs to use the 1/4" bolts. This is not happening again. Damage was not too bad and repaired in a couple of days. Adjusted the delay of the inner gear doors to be sure they don't close too quick on retraction, adjusted tail wheel some. Today, four flights without incident. Tail wheel still needs a little adjusting but other than that everything is good.

I'll chalk up the engine coming loose with my lack of experience with large gas engine planes. Good easy flying plane for a warbird. The DLE 55 is enough power, does all warbird maneuvers ok. Landings and takeoffs fairly slow and easy. It is still squirrely on the pavement, so I take off and land on the grass. I angled the gear forward with a 1/4 shim to prevent nose overs on the grass.

I have now obtained an electronic ignition switch. Next time I have the plane apart for maintenance I'll install the switch.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Yep, I had the same thing happen with a yak. The throttle linkage came apart, just enough throttle not to be able to land but low enough that I was flying in circles for 35 minutes before it finally quit. Of course it happened at a packed event so I was taking up a flight station for what felt like forever.

All my gas installations after that have optical kill switches
Old 06-08-2020, 12:47 PM
wgdenge
My Feedback: (5)

Let's see if this thread can be reborn.
Just ordered this from horizon. Always wanted a mustang.
Have 2 Turbines and my IMAC plane. Needed something to bring to warbird meets.

Now gotta find a motor that will fit, provide enough power, and sound good.

Cheers!
Old 06-08-2020, 01:01 PM
RBean

I used a older DLE 55 with a compact pitts muffler. If I was buying an engine for this plane I would get the DLE 55RA. The rear exhaust will have less heat inside the cowl than the pitts muffler and make cooling a bit easier.
The following users liked this post:
wgdenge (06-08-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:56 AM
e4dragongunner14

Hey Guys... Considering this P-51, but my other choice is the Top RC Mustang. What are your thoughts,.. and what made you go with the H9 over the similar priced ( ok its 200 more :-) ) Top RC?

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:39 AM
RBean

e4dragongunner1, I have the H9 Mustang. I bought used so didn't do original assembly. I went with it because it was a good deal used with Robart electric retracts. All I can say is it flies fine. I have no experience with the Top RC Mustang so can't comment on that. I have the Top RC Spitfire. It flies ok except for the usual Spitfire narrow gear small rudder problems in cross winds or on a paved runway. So I'm no help.
The following users liked this post:
e4dragongunner14 (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 08:04 AM
e4dragongunner14

No no, I appreciate it man! Thanks.... Leaning towards the H9... :-)

Old 06-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The TopRC looks ten times better with its detailed composite airframe and painted finish. No wrinkly plastic covering over poorly sanded balsa surfaces. Just my .02 cents of course.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:44 PM
RBean

I finally got the optical kill switch installed. It was a bit of a pain, but it works. Should have done this before, but some of us have to be hit in the head several times before we are convinced. e4dragongunner14, what have you decided, H9 or Top RC?
Old 07-03-2020, 08:02 PM
e4dragongunner14

Originally Posted by RBean
I finally got the optical kill switch installed. It was a bit of a pain, but it works. Should have done this before, but some of us have to be hit in the head several times before we are convinced. e4dragongunner14, what have you decided, H9 or Top RC?

Still on the fence...in the interim I have decided to (want what I have) build my Top Flite P-40, while I stock pile Cash. This project has been sitting for a bit and I have everything for it.
But still really want a STANG!

Old 08-15-2020, 06:17 PM
wgdenge
My Feedback: (5)

Default DLE 61 standoffs

Any know the standoff length for the DLE61?
Thanks!
wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.