Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The state of retracts in 2015

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The state of retracts in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:50 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris , I dont think your gettnig my question. For one please dont assume "drop in " lol . When I see that in any retract thread I think "you should not be flying a model that requires retracts if the "drop part is your challenge" . My process for installing any retract is probably more indepth then many , regardless of wood, foam, glass etc .

My point is simple very simple .
1) Sierra has his own nitch -he will not do eletric in this century and for a fact he does not have to , we are lucky as a modeling community that Sierra continues to make retracts.
2) Robart ---I am sorry but we will disagree on this subject. There are open forums on RCU , RCG and Sclale builders all on the nightmares of the robart electric retracts. I personally would love to see reliable retracts from Robart in electric but in order of complaints --1) Giant Corsair , 2) FW190 and 3) P51 , 1/5 scale .
Worse version --the 66" rotating size for the Corsair/P40 .
IN fact in my opinion Tower Hobbies should be ashamed of themselves to allow the original 1/6 scale corsair retracts to have been sold, it shows me no real QC testing on products they are distribution and that is how bad they are.
Tweaking retracts to work is one thing , bad frames and assembly joints is another .
3)I would love to see a dediacted thread to Down and Locked , reviews, performance ect. Again I dont see it and dont perosnally believe it .
I have nothing to gain, I am not in the retract sales business but have been trying to use larger electric retracts from day one .
Second I really want to make sure that anyone that wants retracts in the 14lbs and under really understands they do exists , they do work and there not junk from the China based distributors. IN fact most are going on 4 years now in the field and they work.
I would hope they work on larger sizes but they develope for the size model they sell so I dont see this happening in the near future.
I get your point that you fly 80" plus, and my question remains the same show me please retracts at 80" plus that are reliable in e power for a corsair , and feel free to check out variuos threads on RCU, RCG on the subject, my warped opinion was fueled 100% by use in the filed not by "reviews" from people who get them for free.
Thank You
Old 09-04-2015, 07:43 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So why not use a servo from the selection of very high torque LiPo powered servos readily available today?
Its just a linkage and a sturdy servo mount to convert a retract mechanism.
Adequate power distribution in the radio installation should be considered.
However, with the transmitter you can accurately adjust the end points and speed of each servo.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
So why not use a servo from the selection of very high torque LiPo powered servos readily available today?
Its just a linkage and a sturdy servo mount to convert a retract mechanism.
Adequate power distribution in the radio installation should be considered.
However, with the transmitter you can accurately adjust the end points and speed of each servo.
Along those lines I thought that the retracts that came with the Hangar 9 1.50 size P-51 and P-47 ARF were a fantastic idea. Simply a servo operated retract with the servo mounted directly to the retract unit. Unfortunately the quality of the retract units was not really up to snuff but the basic design has great merit in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM
LDM

I like the postive suggestions as modelers we can be better . I have used the Fergelli Linear servos for canopys, in my opinion that is the answer , they are self contained , come in differant sizes and more in perfect linear motion.
The linear drive arm is much more stout then the typical drive screw used on e servos.
Theu cost on avg about $70 a piece, so while its not super expensive it can add up in experimental mode.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:42 AM
LDM

specs on the L12 from Fergelli
L12 Actuator Series
The L12 series is an axial design that utilizes a powerful PMDC motor and a rectangular cross section for increased strength. But by far the most attractive feature of this actuator is the broad spectrum of configurations available.
Firgelli Technologies L12 is available in four stroke lengths: 10mm (Except “I” and "R"), 30mm, 50mm or 100mm, along with three force/speed combinations of 50:1, 100:1 or 210:1 gearing.

“I” Series:
The “I” actuator models feature an on-board software-based digital microcon*troller. The controller is non programmable and will configure itself for one of 4 input modes depending on which leads are plugged in on power up. Available input modes are: RC servo, 0-5v, 4-20mA or PWM. The “I” series is available in both 6v and 12v models.
“R” Series:
This is a stan*dard hobby-type remote-control digital ser*vo interface (CMOS logic), compatible with most RC receivers. They are a 6v unit only
“S” Series:
These units are operated by reversing polarity on the actuator’s two leads. The “S” series has end of stroke limit switches to that will turn off the unit if it runs into its end stop.These can be run with a DPDT switch, relay or brushed DC motor controller. The “S” series is available in both 6v and 12v models.
“P” Series
The “P” series actuators offer no built-in control*ler, but do provide an analog position feed*back signal that can be input to an exter*nal controller. The “P” series can be used with our Linear Actuator Control Board (LAC) to give the “P” series the ability to be controlled with USB (via our Configuration Utility Software), 0-5v, 4-20mA, RC Servo or PWM. On board adjustment of speed, sensitivity and stroke limits are available via the LAC. The “P” series are available in 6v or 12v models.

30mm - closed length hole to hole 82mm50mm - closed length hole to hole 103mm
100mm - closed length hole to hole 153mm
Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had lots of luck with simple mechanical retracts driven by normal (not retract) servos
using a aftermarket servo slow device.

The new Spektrum programmable retract servos make this option even more attractive.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/airplane...ervo-spmsa7040

John.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Along those lines I thought that the retracts that came with the Hangar 9 1.50 size P-51 and P-47 ARF were a fantastic idea. Simply a servo operated retract with the servo mounted directly to the retract unit. Unfortunately the quality of the retract units was not really up to snuff but the basic design has great merit in my opinion.
Agreed Chad. I used the stock retracts in the P-47 for several years. I did manage to bend a leg once with a bad landing, but never any issues with the units or servos. I used the recommended JR servos, I think some tried to use lessor servos & may have had issues. I had also modified the wing to use larger more scale wheels, still no problems.

I have made thousands of flights with traditional servo driven mechanicals in lighter ( pattern ) models with fantastic reliability. It would be great to have that simplicity & reliability in our bigger warbirds.

The only problem I seem to have with air is sometimes I manage to forget to pump them up, like the first round of our Nationals this year damn it!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am soooo....confused on what to get for TF GE .60 corsair...so many bad reviews..I don't want air if I can help it, but don't want to spend more than the plane either...
Old 09-08-2015, 01:22 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I used the Robart air-operated gear in my TF GE Corsair. At home, they worked fine. At about 50 degrees F at the field, they leaked like a sieve. At about 65 degrees, they held air just well enough to fly. The retracts were pretty bad mechanically, too. Last set of Robart retracts I'll probably ever buy. The Corsair died a spectacular death when I overstressed it in a turn and the outer right wing parted company with the rest just inboard of the gear. We never found the wing panel with the retract in it. Good riddance. I don't mean to imply that the airplane was weak. It was powered by a DLE 20 and would do 120+ until the fuel ran out. I pulled a little too hard, going a little too fast and it was all over but the trash bag.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0256.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	2118859   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0259.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	3.49 MB
ID:	2118860  
Old 09-08-2015, 06:07 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by bignasdy
I am soooo....confused on what to get for TF GE .60 corsair...so many bad reviews..I don't want air if I can help it, but don't want to spend more than the plane either...
Look at these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Fc2RHwodbvgDyg

http://www.horizonhobby.com/60-120-9...tracts-eflg520

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ize_P_40_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...egs_2pcs_.html

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...Fc2RHwodbvgDyg

Old 09-08-2015, 06:44 PM
LDM

Big N , I can swear by the 1700 MM corsair retracts by FMS . If the gear leg does not meet your needs then you can get legs on the Hobby King site . My Corsair comes in at 14lbs and the retracts work great .
You can get them at Motion RC