Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The state of retracts in 2015

Yes, I did a search.

I have a giant TF P-51 to build, and would prefer to go with electric retracts (less equipment to lug around). I occasionally hear grumblings about Robart's electric offerings. What vendors are producing the most robust electric retracts on the market today?

Is air still the way to go for reliability?

And I know about Sierra, but unless they are responding to email/phone calls these days leave them out.

Thanks yall.
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I would still use Robarts. There is a relatively easy fix to stabilize them. For the cost and part availability I use them on 3 TF P51's 80 flights since the fix, no gear issues.
    Chris923
    (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 2
    P-47 Brotherhood no. unknown
    The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #4
    The Flying Electrons
    Meno. Falls, Wisconsin

Futaba
    True Turn
    Kirby Custom Graphics
    Bad Brad Graphics
    Robarts,Down and Locked
    Top Flite,Ziroli,Byron
    DLE, Zenoah,OS
    Cool Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Got a link for "the fix"?
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    It's on several of the Mustang treads. The short version is You get an extra set of cam blocks, shave them done to fit in the backside of the retract. This keeps the jack screw assembly from twisting on a less then perfect landing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150426_134354_resized.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	531.6 KB 
ID:	2117479
    Chris923
    (Capt. Cluck) Screamin' Chicken Squadron
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood # 2
    P-47 Brotherhood no. unknown
    The not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood #4
    The Flying Electrons
    Meno. Falls, Wisconsin

Futaba
    True Turn
    Kirby Custom Graphics
    Bad Brad Graphics
    Robarts,Down and Locked
    Top Flite,Ziroli,Byron
    DLE, Zenoah,OS
    Cool Power

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm a Sierra Dealer....Need anything from Sierra just email me... info@vqwarbirds.com
    VQ WARBIRDS
    "KEEP 'EM FLYING"

www.vqwarbirds.com
    info@vqwarbirds.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    nemesis4U , if you are a vender for sierra how come not to many people in the northeren part of the country know that. how long have you been a dealer ?? do you have most of sierras parts or just some

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    JIM,

I specialize in ESM, VQ, ASM WARBIRDS.... I carry SIERRA GEAR for my line... At customer requests I will get you anything else you need for anything SIERRA MAKES...

I stock the SIERRA GEAR, WHEELS, AIR KITS , AIR GAUGES, etc that fit all the ESM WARBIRDS.... the rest I get as customers need for the TF , ZIROLI etc...

I do this regularly especially for all my international/world customers... Ship stuff worldwide every week... I handle all the communication and get the gear for you from SIERRA for anything he makes that you want and need....

Been dealing with Darrell over 6 years....

Email me if you need anything... info@vqwarbirds.com website: www.vqwarbirds.com
    VQ WARBIRDS
    "KEEP 'EM FLYING"

www.vqwarbirds.com
    info@vqwarbirds.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have been for many years, and remain, a dyed in the wool fan of pneumatic retracts. I have seen and heard about far too many problems with electric retracts of every brand to give up on air at this point. I love the idea of them, and understand that they are most certainly the wave of the future. But in my opinion they are still in the development stage and are suffering from considerable teething issues. My pneumatic retracts have been trouble free for me and I will stick with them for the time being. As a fanatic for scale I do love the scale retraction and extension speeds offered by electric retracts and that, for me, is about the only serious advantage that they offer. I look forward to the day that they are as reliable and robust as my pneumatic gear mainly for that reason but, for now, I will continue to use air. My .02 cents of course.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have 4 sets of Sierra retracts, one set purchased directly from Sierra, the rest from VQ Warbirds. Never had an issue with any of them. IMHO, electric retracts are a solution in search of a problem. Properly installed, air retracts are about as reliable as it gets.
    "Never wound a problem. Kill it dead." Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

"Speed is great, speed works. Where would we be as a species without speed? You know, we'd still be eating mud." Jeremy Clarkson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a Ziroli P-51B model with Robart retracts. the plane is 9 years old and the system works on pneumatic with a UP3 valve to sequence the inner gear doors. There are no issues with it holding air pressure. After 9 years. I also have Robarts gear in my F4U and have no issues with the air system in that. It just a matter of taking ones time when assembling the system and making sure there are no kinks or nicks in the lines. I have 2 sets of Sierra gear one in my Sea Fury and one for my Meister P-47 which were converted to electric due to the size of the plane. On the board the work fine. And for the electric I do not for see any issues. had Robarts in my SNJ and converted them to electric. They work great. Hope this info helps. John T.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
    I have been for many years, and remain, a dyed in the wool fan of pneumatic retracts. I have seen and heard about far too many problems with electric retracts of every brand to give up on air at this point. I love the idea of them, and understand that they are most certainly the wave of the future. But in my opinion they are still in the development stage and are suffering from considerable teething issues. My pneumatic retracts have been trouble free for me and I will stick with them for the time being. As a fanatic for scale I do love the scale retraction and extension speeds offered by electric retracts and that, for me, is about the only serious advantage that they offer. I look forward to the day that they are as reliable and robust as my pneumatic gear mainly for that reason but, for now, I will continue to use air. My .02 cents of course.
    What Chad said.......+1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think electric will get there one day, but it's still a work in progress in my opinion. Too many bugs, burnt motors or controllers, and overall not yet reliable enough for me. The key to pneumatic retracts is attention to detail and trouble shooting BEFORE you get to the field. A leaky system will NOT fix itself.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2 View Post
    I think electric will get there one day, but it's still a work in progress in my opinion. Too many bugs, burnt motors or controllers, and overall not yet reliable enough for me. The key to pneumatic retracts is attention to detail and trouble shooting BEFORE you get to the field. A leaky system will NOT fix itself.......

+1. Almost all of the electric retracts have one or more engineering short comings. Until those are addressed, they will never become completely reliable.
    Thomas W.
    Scratch built: 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 1/4 TA152H, 1/6 EA6B Prowler up next?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Isn't a mechanical retract with a servo an "electric" retract? And you can even get linear gears to put on standard servos. I never understood how the "better brand" (i.e. not Chinese) guys could justify charging so much money.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For that matter isn't a pneumatic retract just a mechanical retract with an air piston operated by an electric servo? Doesn't someone (Robart?) even sell a mechanical retract that you can use with air actuator, linear electric, or regular servo depending on how much money you want to spend?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ok, electric-air or electric-electric .

I'm picking up what the community is putting down, thanks guys.
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by impulse09 View Post
    Ok, electric-air or electric-electric .

I'm picking up what the community is putting down, thanks guys.
    Sorry. I have this thing about the super expensive "electric" retracts. There are some inexpensive ones from China but they don't seem to have the variety of sizes. But I just can see paying as much for a linear servo built in with a retract as I would for the plane and motor. A standard retract servo works just as well, if not better, since they have a lot more years on them to make them right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Are there any large scale retracts that are solely retract servo driven (excluding tail retracts)?
    Don S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There are two ways to go for electric. Robart or Down and locked. You can send almost any type of retracts to Down and Locked and they will modify them for electric use. I have switched to electric retracts on all my planes. Trouble shooting is much simpler than pneumatic retracts. Setup is much simpler, and you don't have a dozen or more connections to potentially leak air.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hi,

I dunno. Seems the only pneumatics that have chronic issues are the cheapies from Asia. Air Robarts seem to work fine for me. Y/A air gear have been utterly flawless. Electric gear have just as many issues and, when they do, the end-user can't do much to solve the problem himself.

If air gear are available, I do that way every time.
    Shaun Evans, Builder/Pilot
    Private Pilot
    Actor/Director/Singer
    AMA Contest Director #8574
    Founder/Artistic Director, California Youth Conservatory Theatre