Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Three piece wing

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Three piece wing

Need suggestions on building a three piece wing.

Have a B24 wing 90" ,for me its just TOO big to transport .
Would like to split the wing at the ailerons,keeping the center section about 52 inches (keeping the fuselage attached)
The wing is Foam.with1/8 sheeting

Thanks in advance
Joe
Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

is the wing built? The Stafford wing has very little foam as it goes outboard towards the tip. You will probably have to use fore and aft carbon rods and tube sockets to act as spars vs. one larger Aluminum tube. have to jig a long brass tube so that it drills exactly where you want it to into the wing.
If the wing is unbuilt you can bent copper wire in a solder gun and melt out a trough on each wing portion, glue the spars in one half, and the tubes in the other half and align the core sections before the epoxy cures. Back fill the trough with balsa,sand flush with the foam, and then sheet as normal. Use ply wood along the roots of the two sections to form end ribs. On the larger inner section, you probably want a plywood sub rib at the inner most portion of the sockets to distribute the load to the upper and lower wing sheeting. You could do the same on the outboard section as well.

Keep it LIGHT!!! These things fly awful when too heavy. They land fast, and with the long mains, it is very easy to tear them out. WHen it does, it will probably destroy the wing.

Last edited by JeffH; 10-14-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:52 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

JeffH .... Thank you for your input,the wing is not build , Plywood end caps for sure and a good suggestion to add inter ribs . Guess I just start and cut the outer wing panels . make the ribs and cut receiver and troughs .plan on using CF rods/tubes for spars .male end on aileron sections and female on center section.This is going to be electric powered ONE thing for sure I'll build it as light as possible.
Semper Fi