Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

8 1/2" P-40 spinner, where can I find one?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

8 1/2" P-40 spinner, where can I find one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 1/2" P-40 spinner, where can I find one?

I need a 8 1/2" P-40 spinner. I tried Gene Barton, but he couldn't turn one that big. Any suggestions as to where I could have one made?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you looked into what is available for home built aircraft? I recently had a 7" diameter Macchi 202 spinner made by Phil Clark at FigherAces in the UK. Not sure if he can squeeze you in or not, nor am I sure just how big he is willing to go, but you won't find better quality anywhere. The Macchi spinner consists of a carbon fiber cone with an aluminum back plate as seen below.

www.fighteraces.co.uk

Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
JackL

I may try to see if Phil can do it. I really thought Gene could do it, but I he said that he could no longer make the tooling for it. It is for Jerry Bates' new 1/3.5 P-40B plan.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JackL
I may try to see if Phil can do it. I really thought Gene could do it, but I he said that he could no longer make the tooling for it. It is for Jerry Bates' new 1/3.5 P-40B plan.
I spoke with Gene Barton before going with Phil as well Jack. I guess Gene has downsized his shop substantially and simply does not have the necessary equipment. As you might imagine the cost for a one-off such as I had done for the Macchi can be substantial. Since yours is for a commercially available plan maybe you can find a few other builders who would be willing to help with the set up costs. Even if you only made three or four I think the cost savings would be substantial. Good luck with it!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM
JackL

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I spoke with Gene Barton before going with Phil as well Jack. I guess Gene has downsized his shop substantially and simply does not have the necessary equipment. As you might imagine the cost for a one-off such as I had done for the Macchi can be substantial. Since yours is for a commercially available plan maybe you can find a few other builders who would be willing to help with the set up costs. Even if you only made three or four I think the cost savings would be substantial. Good luck with it!
Yeah, I have a feeling that finding a spinner will be more of a problem than I first thought. I have put out a few feelers, but I guess I can always go with plan B and backdate it to a P-36!
Old 11-03-2015, 02:42 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you checked with Tru-turn and Dave Brown?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Veltro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... It is for Jerry Bates' new 1/3.5 P-40B plan.
Jerry has a new 1/3.5 P-40B plan?! Are you doing the prototype build?
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing it is around 130+" wing span?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with local machine/spinning shops in your area. That is where I have mine made. Here they will take it on in spare/down time. It will cost you no more than a Tru-Turn, I assure you. My place in town has made several for me, including an 8.25 in P-40 spinner for the 120 inch that I built.

JQ
Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I checked Chief aircraft because they have some pattern plane spinners that are close to P40 cone, but they only go up to 6" .
I would give Hobby Warehouse a call in Richfield MN. They have some spiners sitting in there showcase that seemed very large, its worth a shot
Old 11-03-2015, 12:10 PM
JackL

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Yes, it is for Jerry's new 1/3.5 scale 128" P-40B Plans. Phil at Fighteraces said that he could supply the spinner. We are trying to figure out a price and a time-frame. I am also waiting to hear back from Darrell at Sierra on the retracts. Bob Holman is working on the cut files for the short kit.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Veltro

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Yes, it is for Jerry's new 1/3.5 scale 128" P-40B Plans. Phil at Fighteraces said that he could supply the spinner. We are trying to figure out a price and a time-frame. I am also waiting to hear back from Darrell at Sierra on the retracts. Bob Holman is working on the cut files for the short kit.
Thanks for the info, Jack.

Several months ago, Jerry did a request for suggestions over on RCSB. I proposed enlarging his P-40B plans to 94 inches (1/4.7). Nobody reacted to my suggestion, so I figured a larger P-40B would never happen. I'm pleasantly surprised to see I was wrong.

Jay
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 AM
JackL

Well, Phil at FighterAces will be doing the spinner, so if anyone else is wanting to build from this plan, the spinner will be available from him. He is looking at building a plug for the canopy now, he is supposed to get back with me on that. He would be willing to do a fiberglass lower cowling if there was enough interest.