Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Navy WW2 Colors from a Can ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Navy WW2 Colors from a Can ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 03:40 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navy WW2 Colors from a Can ?

Does anyone know if you can get semi accurate Navy WW2 colors from a can ?
I am looking for the TRi Colors options that were used on the Corsair and the TBM Avenger :
I know that the Dark Blue was Intermediate Blue
Having trouble with the light blue that appears to be what the Household stores would call "Baby Blue"
Thanks for the help !
Prefer a can because having problems thinning and keeping the colors consistant
Old 12-31-2015, 08:09 AM
AZThud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year LDM

I think you might want to reconsider your colour choices. The Topside blue on the 3 colour scheme was a very dark blue and was named Non-Specular Sea Blue. The approximate FS color would be 35045, The intermediate blue was on the sides tails outer wing undersides, its a lot darker that baby blue, its FS color is 35164. Typically this intermediate blue looks to dark, so I lighten mine up a bit.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
Old 12-31-2015, 08:13 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want spray paint then you could use Model Master paints by Testors.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:30 AM
LDM

Thanks Guys and Happy New Year !
1) Yes Model masters is a great choice !
2) please see the real TBA vs the model , do those colors sound correct ?
Thanks for your expertese
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	2138791   Click image for larger version

Views:	59
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	2138792  
Old 12-31-2015, 09:29 AM
AZThud

If you are going for a replication of the full scale then the FS colors I gave you won't work, the full scale does not look to have the "correct" colours on it. The Model you show is closer to what was done during the war. The choice is yours, I would suggest you go to the local hobby shop and look at the paint racks then decide. If you are reproducing a plane from the war then go with the model.

If you are looking for examples of what the various schemes try one of the plastic sites, like Hyperscale, http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/avengerrl_1.htm Randy does very nice work and is particular about his colours.

Good Luck,

Cheers
Old 12-31-2015, 10:28 AM
LDM

Thanks I appreciate your expertise and agree.
When I tested the model masters intermediate blue it was the closest to the dark blue shown on my model.
i am going to use your numbers and try to match color swatches to model master cans.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Model masters spray is very expensive and a can doesn't go very far. but is probably your best bet for "off the shelf" FS colors. I'll usually by one can or small jar and make up a paint chip and take it in and have the color made up in latex.
Also be careful when comparing colors from full scale aircraft of today. Many are painted in "incorrect" colors.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:47 PM
LDM

Thanks exactly what I do but my local Lowes has gone down hill and cant even match wall paint ,
So my backup plan is my local paint store. They got the top layer blue down exactly, very happpy but could not match the lighter blue. It was coming out purple and we finally agreed to give up.
I think model masters may have the lighter Navy WW2 Blue, I think they all it sky blue
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
LDM

I tracked down the light blue. Model masters calls it "Duck Egg"
Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

LDM,
Duck egg blue is an RAF color. Part of their daylight paint scheme.
That color is actually more green than blue.. fyi.

Last edited by BobH; 01-02-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Whats confusing me is the intermediate blue color that is already on the model looks damn near spot on. why change it?
The top color (Dark Blue) seems to be a bit light, but that could be the fluorescent lighting.
I would say the intermediate blue color on the full scale in the pic looks to be incorrect.
But, that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Warbird Man; 01-02-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Plano78
My Feedback: (39)

You might consider taking portions of the Avenger with you to Home Depot and have them match the paint for you. REALLY! Great match and you can buy it in 7.5 oz. jars for each color you need. Costs about $3 a jar. Every plane in my squadron has patch paint on the shelf. I always buy flat and it's not really fuel proof. If it's going to be in an area that get spattered you can spray a clear coat that is fuel proof. Takes a little thinning but works in a spray gun pretty well (and cleans up with water).

Besides, you should see the looks you get when you walk in with a wing or fuse to be matched! Actually sometime draws a crowd and long discussion on RC most of the time.

Last edited by Plano78; 01-03-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 AM
LDM

Thanks Plano, I usually do the same and will have to give it one more try. My lowes was my hobby paint source, same as you I would use water based latex and simply dull spray the fuel areas.
My problem like many is that the local lowes hired some people that really dont care about there work.
They could not even match a simple tan needed for our bedroom.
I now have a piece of the wing covering that is the blue in question. I am going to give Lowes one more shot before trying Model masters.

Thanks Bob , saved me the money and time, I was looking at a swatch.
Warbirdman, the fuse is just right , but I need paint to repare the wings. This plane was purchased used and hanging at a hobby shop in Norfolk. It has tons of hanger rash and I am doing a full bash on the plane. Its includes making the ailerons more scale as well as the flaps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	24
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	2139521   Click image for larger version

Views:	19
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	2139522  

Last edited by LDM; 01-03-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lou, if you can get the needed colors figured out, Warbird Colors will have them. You'll get a perfect match too.

http://warbirdcolors.com/

They don't have aerosols, but I believe the paint will provide a good finish when applied with a foam brush.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:23 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to take the FS # to a reputable paint store and they can cross reference the #. If you find some color pics of the real ones you will see the paint faded very quickly in the salt air and sun of the Pacific. These planes looked like hell in real life not a museum piece. They patched them and swapped parts so much nothing looked like we try to make them look. Get close enough and smear some dirt and oil all over it and you will have a real warbird.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:39 AM
LDM

Hi Tom,
Thanks great advice I forgot about that company !
I did give Lowes one more chance today at lunch and they did match the light blue exactly to the original kit.
I was really being anal because the light blue did appear faded and sun worn just like the real deal. I am not going into competition but why bash standoff scale and blow the color match.
Thanks for all your help guys I am bashing this build on RCU and RC Groups . Unfortunately its a CY models 82" Avenger now sold by a very nice company in Texas called Texas RC planes.
The name of the company that originally(distributor ) sold the plane was really bad and I did not realize that when starting the thread on RCU. So I received some colorful Pms and messages about the original seller name thru no intention of my own to give them any kudos.
Oh well I am enjoying the bash and I have to say CY models ARFs sold by Texas RC planes is one of the best quality ARfs I have even seen. Very solid fiberglass totally different then my ESM planes .