Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P51 Topflite vrs Balsa USA

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P51 Topflite vrs Balsa USA

Old 03-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Pilot_Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P51 Topflite vrs Balsa USA

I'll just get to it without a bunch of needless information.

My main goal is to build a Ziroli P-51 some day, but not right now and the desire to build a Mustang is itching t me. I decided to build up a 1/7 scale smaller P51 and get used to building warbirds as I have never built one, just trainers and some sport low wings. I plan to detail it out in a very scale way. I have a chance to get an original TopFlite 1/7 scale .60 size Mustang of marketplace for 275.00 new in box un built. on the other hand I found out that Balsa USA still has a full kit of a 75" winged P51 that is nice looking from the few pictures I have seen of one. I can get this brand new.

I have heard the Topflite P51 is not quite scale, more of a sport scale, which is ok with me I guess if it means a slightly longer wing or elevator would make it fly a lot better than a true scale one. As long as it's not really obviously noticible that the plane is not scale.
I have seen many info and videos on the Topflite, but hardly anything about the Balsa USA one.

Both look good, so my question is.... What one do I go for if I want to really get a nice, scale looking airplane? Is Balsa USA a quality company? like Topflite or SIG? I never had one from Balsa USA.... thanks if anyone has experience with either////let me know what you think of them.... I just want to put my time into the one that will give me the best scale result, before I start planning a Ziroli P51 build.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:08 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want top quality, scale wood kit, then you may want to check out Fokkerc. Rymen designed, and cuts his kits based on scaled dimensions from Northrop blueprints. He has a 1/6 scale and 1/4.5 scale kits for the P 51D.

His first offering, won the European scale championship in 2020. Hes also a bit of a perfectionist.

Another, good, example of a Fokkerc kit can be found right here on rcuniverse, just look at Wyoturbine's Spitfire build. Its also a Fokkerc kit and shows construction method for fokkerc kits as far as the structure goes.

You won't go wrong. Comparable in pricing.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:55 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Top Flite is a fun to build kit that produces a good flying model. Also being .60 sized the retracts and engine are affordable.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Pilot_Guy

I looked at almost all the Fokker spitfire thread, impressive and eventually that is the type of build I want to do some day. Although I have built a lot of kits, I think that one is out of my league right now. I'd like to see pictures of fully built Fokker planes. I am looking at the website and might just get started on ordering up P51 he has in quarter scale for a future build when I feel I'm ready for it. I'm pretty sure they aren't full kits, just plans and the basic structure parts. I'll have to speak to them, but it's definitely high on my list to research more into those aircraft.

For now I think I'll Go ahead and get the TopFlite P51 .60 and have fun building and detailing it out into a gorgeous aircraft. Some say that kit isn't true scale, but it looks real nice and close, plus it seems to fly very well. I have watched several videos on it and I'm impressed. I'll build one and use it as my way into building and flying warbirds, but eventually I want to go towards big scale...

Thanks for tips, guys. When I get a build going I'll be sure to try and post my build up... Right now I'm doing a Ryan STA electric from just plans... I'm cutting my parts right now and learning a lot. Just as much fun as doing a full kit, imo...just takes more pacients.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:29 AM
Txmustangflyer

They are enhanced short kits, yes. You'll have to order your sheeting and stringer sticks seperately from another source.
Fokkerc kits structure isn't difficult. Rumen designs them to slot together, no jigs. Up to the end user on how much detail you add. He has a 1/6 mustang as well..small enough that if you didn't want to detail it out to the max, you'd still feel good about it. The 1/4...yeah...it begs for the full monty.
The nice thing. They are scaled down from northrop blueprints...it will be an exact, scaled, profile of the mustang...the only thing that isn't is the airfoil..he changes that to make it more compatable for rc, but beyond that, everything is spot on to scale. If first build you just do a basic sheet/uktrakite, its all good..the nice thing about that, when you are ready, the ultrakote can come off, and you can go to town with panel lines and all the bells and whistles.
You'd have to try hard to mess up the structure. Parts are a tight fit, even before glue. If you have a small square, you'll be fine..
Wyo has put a lot if time in his spitfire...because he wanted to. Its up to you. Theres no wrong way. Nice thing about this hobby. Just because you don't build a top gun competitor doesn't mean its wrong. The 1/6 would get your feet wet, get you a mustang, get you used to fokkerc kits (not a big step, really) and let you hone your sheeting skills. I pointed you to Wyo's spit so you could see an example of how the kit goes together on the structure.
I'm waiting on Rumen to design and cut my P-38 lightning at 1/6. First full build kit for me since 1992..I'm looking forward to it and picked fokkerc because it will be an easier structure compared to a zirolli..even the wings, just match up to the plans as far as slots in the spars and ribs, test fit, glue, make sure at right angles where needed, let cure in clamps once glued. No pins, no jigs. Then add sheer webbing

Time consuming, sure. Difficulty level..4 maybe 5 out if ten. The difficulty is in the detail. The skin and finish. Again, how that happens, materials, etc are all up to you.
Beyond the structure, and using flight skin on wings and tail surfaces, I have no plan yet, for the Lightning. Ideas, sure, set plans...umm..No.
I don't have Wyo's skills, or patience lol. But, no matter what, it will be my Lightning.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-05-2022 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:35 PM
Pilot_Guy

I am liking what I see with the Fokkerrc aircraft and a big plus is, it comes as a short kit which is nice, because I don't have a CNC machine or any accurate way to cut the major structure parts. I'm doing a small, 49 inch span Ryan STA from plans and it's small enough to where I just carefully cut everything with an X-acto, but on the bigger plane I don't feel comfortable to free cut anything. So coming with all those parts cut accurately, is a big plus. I do not find any pictures of a finished Fokkerrc Mustang, would like to see a finished one, but I read about every post on the thread you showed me and I can see how the build is....I do like it, not basic flat solid box sides, built much like the real thing. So right now I am seriously considering one.

So these come from Europe? i see they have an American division, but I want the genuine article....If I have to wait 6 months, it's ok.... I like how they etch our names on the kit firewall....that shows they are committed to satisfaction and quality .

Thanks, a lot for showing me FokkerRC....
Old 03-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Pilot_Guy

I just had a look at Wyoturbines other models he did showing the panel lines, on that thread and wow....

If Fokkerrc is good for him, they have to be very scale and nice....So....Guess I am just going to bite it and get going on getting my own 1/5th Mustang... I am totally inspired now.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:59 PM
Txmustangflyer

Originally Posted by Pilot_Guy
I am liking what I see with the Fokkerrc aircraft and a big plus is, it comes as a short kit which is nice, because I don't have a CNC machine or any accurate way to cut the major structure parts. I'm doing a small, 49 inch span Ryan STA from plans and it's small enough to where I just carefully cut everything with an X-acto, but on the bigger plane I don't feel comfortable to free cut anything. So coming with all those parts cut accurately, is a big plus. I do not find any pictures of a finished Fokkerrc Mustang, would like to see a finished one, but I read about every post on the thread you showed me and I can see how the build is....I do like it, not basic flat solid box sides, built much like the real thing. So right now I am seriously considering one.

So these come from Europe? i see they have an American division, but I want the genuine article....If I have to wait 6 months, it's ok.... I like how they etch our names on the kit firewall....that shows they are committed to satisfaction and quality .

Thanks, a lot for showing me FokkerRC....
Fokkerc aka Rumen Chakerov, is based in Bulgaria.
Good guy, very busy, but helpful as he can be because it is a small operation.
The mustang is a popular plane. If you go through the customer builds on his site, you may find one under construction, it could be nobody has built one yet, so you could be the first. Wyo, flyer, myself, and others will gladly help out if you need it. Main thing, just like your other kits, take your time, follow the plans closely, and you'll be fine. You'll be surprised at how quick the structure goes.
Theres a waiting lust, of sorts, since he has the mustang design, already, probably a couple of months.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-05-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:24 PM
Pilot_Guy

Just got side tracked, because I found an old, Dynaflite giant scale PT-19 that is said to be mint condition and from his collection 89 inch wing. Not too far from me, hmmm looks like it would be a real nice build. Still in box never a piece of balsa cut. I've been trying to find nice kits to get, because the lack of new ones. Kinda collecting them for future fun I guess. I'm wondering if I should add this one lol

Old 03-06-2022, 07:27 PM
Txmustangflyer

As long as its all there.

One thing on wood..it shrinks over time as it dries. So, when you go to build, expect to have to recut some pieces..nature of the game. Just depend on how long its been boxed, where it was kept, etc. The quality of the wood to begin with also makes a huge difference.

a 1.20 would put you in the neighborhood of a 13 cc gas, check out rcgfusa.com. they have a gas engine designed specifically for 1.20 glow to gas swap. Be perfect

still a rail mount too. Be right in range for it.

https://www.rcgfusa.com/product/rcgf-stinger-10cc-se/

also a rear exhaust version. Engines are built in China, but designed here in the US. Glen used to race rc, his engines are good.

https://www.rcgfusa.com/product/rcgf-stinger-10cc-re/

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 03-06-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:20 AM
Pilot_Guy

LO I slapped myself against getting another kit right now, as I am planning to get into scale with two kits already in the works.

What I want to do is detail out my Hangar 9 Carbon cub, practicing technique and skills to get it as real I can get. Then move onto building the Top flite .60 P-51 and get it to be one of the nicest ever built....Then after I am satisfied, I plan on starting a Fokkerrc FW-190 or BF-109(not sure right now) holding off on the Mustang as I want to do that in 1/4 scale. I may go ahead and get both the 1/5th FW 190 and the 1/4 scale P51 from Rumen.... I'll have the 1/4 Mustang on the shelf for when I am ready.

I love your Hangar9 P51, cant wait to see the results and it gives me inspiration to get my Hangar 9 Carbo cub done the right way.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:25 AM
Txmustangflyer

It inches along when I'm home. If I can accomplishe my wanted to do list this time around, it will just be a dissassebme, liktite everything, and install rx and telemetry. Engine will stay out till spinner and exhaust arrive, so I can tune on the stand, baffle the cowl, and cut it for fit to the cylinder..thats hoping the backordered, replacement canopy shows up...