RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"

Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 PM
benjack71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus View Post
I used much of the stock hardware, although I could see the flap linkage pulling loose if the flaps were dropped at higher speed. That is another reason I chose to use the internal linkage, no mods are needed and it's a stronger set up, pushing is better than pulling.

You need the aluminum servo brackets, unless they changed the internal wing structure, I'm guessing they forgot to include them in your kit.

This is one of my aileron servos, does your wing have the ply tabs in the servo bays? If so you need the brackets, you could make them, I have many in my parts bin left over from other projects.
Thats what has me messed up. I got the metal brackets but no tabs in my wings to attach them to. Damnit

What if I epoxy bracket to servo door? I could even put a craft stick/popsicle stick between the bracket and servo door. Yeah, talked myself into doing that.

Last edited by benjack71; 07-25-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:33 AM
heirmeistr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where is everyone putting their fuel dot? I haven't seen a visible one yet!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 PM
benjack71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by heirmeistr View Post
where is everyone putting their fuel dot? I haven't seen a visible one yet!
Anywhere inside the fuse that you want to I guess. I just used a plug.

I
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM
benjack71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine came out tail heavy. I was surprised
Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the mortal remains of a crashed Top RC P-51 that I was going to rebuild but have changed my mind. Before tossing it into the trash I though I would see if anyone needs any spare parts. The rudder is good, both horizontal stabs and elevators are good, the canopy and hatch are in good shape although the cockpit detail took some damage (fixable). I think the inner clam shell gear doors are good as well as the spinner, which is not bent up at all but does have a few scratches/gouges from hitting the gravel. Just FYI, the airplane was repainted into a camo scheme so the parts no longer have the factory finish. Anyway, just thought I would throw this out here before hauling the mortal remains off to the dump.

Chad Veich
cwveich@cwvmodels.com
Old 09-17-2018, 05:11 AM
Sonny.C
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Chad,
Sorry you crashed your P-51.
I'm interested in the mustang's canopy and latch. My latch broke off and I can't find one that matches the original.

Thanks!

Sonny Coleman
Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Sonny.C View Post
Hi Chad,
Sorry you crashed your P-51.
I'm interested in the mustang's canopy and latch. My latch broke off and I can't find one that matches the original.

Thanks!

Sonny Coleman
Wasn't my bird Sonny! It was a friend's and he gave me the mortal remains as I was considering a rebuild bit it's too far gone for economical repair and I have too many projects on the shelf anyway. Somebody else has already contacted me about the canopy/hatch as well as the inner gear doors and the spinner I'm afraid. If he decides he does not want the parts I will be sure to let you know but, at this point, I am pretty sure he is going to take them.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Sonny.C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, Thanks for the quick response!

Sonny
Old 09-29-2018, 04:46 PM
benjack71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone else build with the torqpro 70cc? Mine has came out really really nose heavy. Guess its freaking me out some because i used the Giant Scale EZ Balancer for the cg and i was up to 24 oz of weight in the tail before it balanced. (Not actually installed weight, just placed on the fuse to get an idea). Dont get me wrong a little on the nose heavy side is fine by me and how i would prefer it to be, but I can only think of one war bird i ever put any tail weight on and that was a FMS Zero foam plane. I adjusted my flight packs around but not enough weight to really do anything.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Halcyon66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Went through the thread and maybe I missed it but what all up weights are people getting on this model?

Looks pretty interesting for the price.

Regards,
Old 10-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Sonny.C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Benjack,
I had a Torqpro-70 in my mustang and ended up replacing it with a DLE-55RA for 2-reasons.
#1 - Idle and midrange operation tended to be unreliable and the plane suffered a couple badly positioned dead stick landings. Luckily the plane didn't suffer any damage during the deadsticks, but I could have very easily torn up the plane due to an engine out situation.
#2 - The Torqpro-70 vibrates A LOT (compared to a DLE-55), and I believe eventually there would have been structural issues with the airframe.

The DLE-55RA provides the Stang with plenty of power for me.

Hope this helps,

Sonny
Old 11-09-2018, 08:26 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On the fence....found a Gunfighter that I can buy, will use a DLE-61. Seems to have issues almost like the H9 FIASCO that I was a part of and NOT happy with Horizon.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 AM
heirmeistr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was planning on using a DLE 55 that I had laying around but decided against it because it would require me putting holes in the side of the cowl for the muffler. I ordered a DLE55 RA so I can keep the cowl clean.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 PM
benjack71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Sonny.C View Post
Hi Benjack,
I had a Torqpro-70 in my mustang and ended up replacing it with a DLE-55RA for 2-reasons.
#1 - Idle and midrange operation tended to be unreliable and the plane suffered a couple badly positioned dead stick landings. Luckily the plane didn't suffer any damage during the deadsticks, but I could have very easily torn up the plane due to an engine out situation.
#2 - The Torqpro-70 vibrates A LOT (compared to a DLE-55), and I believe eventually there would have been structural issues with the airframe.

The DLE-55RA provides the Stang with plenty of power for me.

Hope this helps,

Sonny
I am not ready to give up on it yet. The DLE 55 I am sure will pull a two bladed prop around just fine. I am using a four blade biela. I agree the first run on the plane the vibration was bad. After some consecutive runs and taxis the vibration has decreased. I have had some issues that is probably vibration induced, such as two screws for the landing gear stripped out in the wood. That could be from vibration. Like I said, the vibration has decreased from the first start. My problem is with the needle settings. At factory it would not hardly start and leaned out and died on the ground. So I am still in the getting the needles set right phase. I got one really short flight out of it and sure enough, it would not turn up rpm enough. Got it in the air, made a left hand turn and brought her around and landed it. I did get the cg lined out. User error lol. Its hunting season now. I will worry with it next summer. Thanks for the reply though Sonny, it is much appreciated.