Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"

Old 10-25-2019, 06:26 AM
flyn2high
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by TJK View Post
Does anyone know if the Roto 85 in-line twin can fit completely in the cowl of the Top R/C P-51, with nothing protruding? Can any of you guys using the Roto post some photos of your installation?

Thanks
Not sure about the Roto 85 but the RCGF 60 rear exhaust fits completely in the cowl. If yo shave off 1/8" from the twin exhaust pipes they will fit as well, although it might get a little warm.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:28 AM
flyn2high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by sgtm1a1@hotmail.com View Post
Nice
Thanks Sgtm1a1. It's now one of my favorites.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:04 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone know if the Roto 85 in-line twin can fit completely in the cowl of the Top R/C P-51, with nothing protruding? Can any of you guys using the Roto post some photos of your installation?

Thanks
The engine fits inside completely but the exhaust pipes stick out of the side. Two 3/4" holes
Old 10-26-2019, 05:26 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks.

Is there any way to port the exhaust where the holes will be unseen, maybe below the nose?
Old 10-29-2019, 03:39 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks.

Is there any way to port the exhaust where the holes will be unseen, maybe below the nose?
No , if it were possible I would have gone that route.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:50 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Tim. Any chance you can post a photo of the exhaust cutouts at your convenience?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:01 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys.
after reading everything I could on this model and the Hangar 9 Mustang, I decided on the Top RC. Old Crow arrived yesterday! I have a new DLE 61 for power. I bolted on the Jtech standard size wrap around muffler that I am using for my Hellcat and it looks like it clears the firewall and most of the cowl. Only a small halfmoon cut out will be necessary for the lower edge of the can on the left side of the cowl. Just wondering what muffler you guys used with the DLE 61. Jtech also has a compact version but I really don't know how much it differs dimensionally. The lower standoffs are a bit wider than the top so some triangle stock will need to be removed for clearance. My impression of the engine box is that it is too light and poorly glued with ill fitting triangle stock so I plan to go over this area and beef it up, glass or otherwise reinforce it as needed. The only other thing that jumps out at me is the paint job of the cockpit. Pretty sloppy so I will have to redo that and also fashion a reasonable sized control stick. Any advice is appreciated!
Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make sure you have enough exit area for the hot air to get out.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:02 AM
flyn2high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a lot of problems cooling mine even with a fairly large opening. I also added 1/4" holes to the perforated plates on each side of the cowl and made the dummy exhaust functional as through cooling holes with larger 5/8 tubing. I was seeing temps well over 300 degrees. What did it for me was adding a reverse scoop in front of the cowl opening. This was absolutely dramatic. Most of the time it is below 200 and the most I ever seen was 220 in very hot summer heat. Here is a photo of the fiberglass reverse scoop and another after I painted it. It is not that noticeable.

I had a lot of problems cooling mine even with a fairly large opening. I also added 1/4" holes to the perforated plates on each side of the cowl and made the dummy exhaust functional as through cooling holes with larger 5/8 tubing. I was seeing temps well over 300 degrees. What did it for me was adding a reverse scoop in front of the cowl opening. This was absolutely dramatic. Most of the time it is below 200 and the most I ever seen was 220 in very hot summer heat. Here is a photo of the fiberglass reverse scoop and another after I painted it. It is not that noticeable.

Fiberglass Air Dam

Does not hurt the scale appearance much.

Fiberglass air dam

You can barely see it in the air.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:49 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys. I'm not officially building this plane yet because I'm still working on my Top-flight Hellcat but I had to mount the engine so I could do a mock-up of the muffler and figure out what I needed to order. I used my standard size Jtec wrap around pitts muffler that I bought for the Hellcat as a refrence. I am working with Al from j Tech and it looks like I'm going to get a version of his P-51 wrap around pitts Muffler. At any rate I used the template in my dle 61 manual lined it up with the reference lines on the firewall and drilled the holes for the standoffs. Once the engine was mounted, I noticed that the engine sits a little low so the spinner is not lined up with the top of the cowling. It's off by about three to five millimeters. I'm going to have to plug those holes with a hardwood dowel , then re-drill at higher point than the horizontal reference line on the firewall. Has anybody else noticed this?

Last edited by MaJ. Woody; 11-19-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:42 PM
spogosyan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

is there anyway you can show more pictures of how i can make my sliding canopy.