Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TOPRC/GatorRC P-51 Mustang 89"

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM
danlandis

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N99JH
Can you provide a link to Dan's page, please?

I do not have a link to my page, but just search Dan Landis and send me a friend request and a short message letting me know you saw this and I will add you and you can view all of my builds.

I have now built 2 of these Mustangs and am very impressed, so much so, I am actually thinking I might get another one of the winter. The second one was for a friend and built with him and with the two of us working on it, it took just over 3 days to complete from box to ready to fly.

Pic below was taken just after my demo with Blondie at Nall last week.

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3128.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	2216418  
The following users liked this post:
FalconD (11-17-2022)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

So I didn't have a great experience with my gunfighter at Joe nall. My biggest issue was the firewall/motor box coming loose. I ended up putting the plane back in the trailer for the remainder of the event after 3 partial flights.
Basically zero glue was used, I'll be glassing and adding plenty of reinforcement to mine.
Also had an issue with my choke servo coming loose from the motor box sides in the fuse, not because my blocks came unglued, but because the crappy plywood delaminated the first layer that the blocks were glued to.
Had a friend at the event with another Gunfighter and he had the same exact problems and had to put his away as well.
I really hope I can get this thing figured out, $1000 is a lot of money to spend on a plane that's falling apart with only 3 partial flights on it.

Not happy at all.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:37 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up Old Crow. nice plane, but worried it is fragile? I have to take it out of the box and check.
I have the Roto 85FSI
I looked at the Kolm inline 100cc twin, but I think it would be way to heavy for this plane.
Something like 12lbs or so.for the KOLM and 6LBS for the Roto 85cc.

I did some honing to the intake and exhaust ports on the heads and lightened the pistons.
Looked at the oil amounts when apart, and there is PLENTY of oil in there.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:43 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I picked up another P-51 Gunfighter at Nall myself. I was going to use the Roto 85fsi as well, so it will be nice to be able to compare notes on the build. I was going to retrofit the motor on my Blondie but thought it best to just start from new. Now it is just a matter of getting the time to do it.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:50 PM
warbirdfan2

Who sells the Roto 85 in the US ? cant seem to find a dealer.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 PM
kochj

Originally Posted by warbirdfan2
Who sells the Roto 85 in the US ? cant seem to find a dealer.
He sells on RCunivers. That is where I purchased mine.

The seller is TOP TIER.... Very responsive to questions and ordering things like gaskets ect. ( mine tore when I did some modding/ or smoothing of the ports for better flow.)

I would get the drill prop guide, as it is needed. I wrecked a prop w/o it. Partially my fault, as the drill press was not straight.... ggrrrr lol...
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 PM
kochj

Okay guys/gals... here is the scoop! I upackaged it all and checked out the plane:
-- WOW..... IT is really great looking plane. I didn't realize the little things that are off on my TopFlite p-51
All the panel lines are there. Most of the rivets are as well.
--Well packaged BUT.... The plane moved and cracked the canopy that is part of the removable fuse hatch.... Will have to get replacement. hatch..
This would take a very long time to do something like this. Building a plane of this quality and detail.

Gripes-- The cockpit stick is funny...as it looks like the size of a 2 x 4 !!!..
The Aileron on one side is slightly off drilled holes
The flap on one side is slightly off drilled hole. I say hole because it really doesn't seem much is off at all.
Few places need some smoothing out with sand paper.
Spots (mainly in corners) there is some indents due to not being filled before painting.
The firewall does need to be glued... (I am happy about this as I may have to move it , and that makes life easier for me.)

8/10 ... It is really that good..

This is an amazing plane Plenty of strength. I have had composite planes in the past and the clear coat cracked at the slightest press.....
Not so with this plane. Very well made.

I can't wait to see the Corsair they are going to be realy great.

Did anyone see a sliding canopy on this bird? I don't see it, I will have to down load manual.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by kochj
Okay guys/gals... here is the scoop! I upackaged it all and checked out the plane:
-- WOW..... IT is really great looking plane. I didn't realize the little things that are off on my TopFlite p-51
All the panel lines are there. Most of the rivets are as well.
--Well packaged BUT.... The plane moved and cracked the canopy that is part of the removable fuse hatch.... Will have to get replacement. hatch..
This would take a very long time to do something like this. Building a plane of this quality and detail.

Gripes-- The cockpit stick is funny...as it looks like the size of a 2 x 4 !!!..
The Aileron on one side is slightly off drilled holes
The flap on one side is slightly off drilled hole. I say hole because it really doesn't seem much is off at all.
Few places need some smoothing out with sand paper.
Spots (mainly in corners) there is some indents due to not being filled before painting.
The firewall does need to be glued... (I am happy about this as I may have to move it , and that makes life easier for me.)

8/10 ... It is really that good..

This is an amazing plane Plenty of strength. I have had composite planes in the past and the clear coat cracked at the slightest press.....
Not so with this plane. Very well made.

I can't wait to see the Corsair they are going to be realy great.

Did anyone see a sliding canopy on this bird? I don't see it, I will have to down load manual.
How does the engine box look?solid? glued well?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 PM
kochj

The engine box is very solid. It even uses AIRCRAFT plywood! Not that light weight plywood that is sometimes used( In all the quality rc arf's of late that I have looked at, they have been using the good stuff.)

As far as gluing extra? It looks very strong to me. I will post some pictures when I get a chance, but it has very good material in the engine box itself. Gluing is always a MUST do in my planes, but that is just me.

If if you do not like placing epoxy in there, just use some pieces of angled alloy in the corners, and place a few bolts to hold in place, and it will not move.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:03 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default false

Originally Posted by ThunderBoat42
Ordered the 60cc P51. Arrived with no cockpit. (Clearly says in video and features included). It is discontinued and not available. Yeah a hole under the canopy. They directed me to Dynamic Balsa to get one for an additional $125. Really? Already ordered accessories to customize etc. well long story short,,, they got it back. Bummed and pissed but a blessing because it's about to be discontinued. Waiting on money now ... I was so pissed off I had my attorney locked and loaded. LOL. DanL recommended this one a month ago when started shopping ... . He was rite. More I look (this page has helped that) the more I'm impressed. What sucked is my wife ordered it for an anniversary gift. Yikes!!! So she was hurt they screwed her over. Happy Wife = Happy Life LOL
Hangar 9 60cc Mustang isn't discontinued. The interior kit is also still included.

I have a couple buddies flying the Top RC Stang, very nice plane.

Last edited by quist; 06-02-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Maschar

Hi Mustang pilots! Is there anybody who purchased that exhuast pipes (Giant P-51 Exhaust set (ID: 1109078)) for TopRC Mustang?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:25 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Maschar, even though my guess is that you're the guy who sells the exhausts, I'll provide a report on my install.

Because I was converting my Gunfighter into the Millie G, I knew the exhausts would be visible if I wanted to take off the shrouds like the WW2 version. I purchased the exhaust pipes you mention. I screwed them to a wood support. They are a bit large for 1:5 in my estimation, but can look OK if you get them deep enough into the cowl. Because the Left side of the engine box is very close, it took some work to make them look right. I had to make a stepped mount, and modify some of the pipes to prevent interference with the engine box. The final product is screwed to the cowl and glued using Hysol to make sure it's strong. I painted them using some various Testors colors, and I'm happy with the end result.

Look to see more photos of my Millie G conversion coming out soon, I'm almost done with it.

Name:	IMG_0528.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	2219350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550b.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	2219351  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 AM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
Maschar, even though my guess is that you're the guy who sells the exhausts, I'll provide a report on my install.

Because I was converting my Gunfighter into the Millie G, I knew the exhausts would be visible if I wanted to take off the shrouds like the WW2 version. I purchased the exhaust pipes you mention. I screwed them to a wood support. They are a bit large for 1:5 in my estimation, but can look OK if you get them deep enough into the cowl. Because the Left side of the engine box is very close, it took some work to make them look right. I had to make a stepped mount, and modify some of the pipes to prevent interference with the engine box. The final product is screwed to the cowl and glued using Hysol to make sure it's strong. I painted them using some various Testors colors, and I'm happy with the end result.

Look to see more photos of my Millie G conversion coming out soon, I'm almost done with it.

Looking Great!

How did you remove the original Gunfighter stickers before adding the MillieG? I am planning on doing the same. Please share more pictures of the completed model.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:44 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Here's how I removed the original graphics. Lightly sand to remove the clear coat. A fine sanding sponge can work well for this, but takes a while. Use some Acetone to soften up the graphic, and lightly scrape it off. Some final sanding will likely be required. Beware, it's not really possible to take off the graphic without removing some of the base paint. You'll have to match and paint prior to adding new graphics.

Look for completed photos next week. I added some detail to the cockpit along with a "Best Pilots" Bob Sweeney figure. I'll do some work to the panel lines, add some weathering, and make my own nomenclature graphics using the pulsar Pro FX dry transfer system.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Bet its going to be gorgeous when its done
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 PM
kochj

I have an issue...
My canopy is cracked.
The plane moved up/down while shipped and cracked the canopy front frame and 2 smaller cracks on the side of the canopy.
I purchased the plane from towerhobby. and they don't carry ANY replacement parts for this plane. NONE....
Am I the only one that thinks this as an issue?
I realize there is 1=retailer that actually carries spare parts for these planes. GatorRC.
I am not sure what to do... send it back ( it was an option but seems crazy to do)
I have the topflite 50cc mustang that I have never flown and it is currently stripped and ready to fiberglass.
Send this one back and keep the TF mustang, and go for the large spitfire that is soon to be released?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 PM
kochj

Note about the Spinner for this plane.
It is a 5" and 3/4 . Not quite 6inch and Def, not an 5inch... most likely metric, or what ever the size came out to be to make it look like it matches the fuse while toprc designed it.

The website on Tower did say it was 4". I thought that was a bit small..LOL..
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

"Am I the only one that thinks this as an issue?"

No, you are not but I would just bite the bullet and fix the canopy frame if possible. mine had a small crack but no big issue....sooner or later they have to address the issue with shipping one would presume.

My bad, you said canopy not frame,,,ugh
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kochj
I have an issue...
My canopy is cracked.
The plane moved up/down while shipped and cracked the canopy front frame and 2 smaller cracks on the side of the canopy.
I purchased the plane from towerhobby. and they don't carry ANY replacement parts for this plane. NONE....
Am I the only one that thinks this as an issue?
I realize there is 1=retailer that actually carries spare parts for these planes. GatorRC.
I am not sure what to do... send it back ( it was an option but seems crazy to do)
I have the topflite 50cc mustang that I have never flown and it is currently stripped and ready to fiberglass.
Send this one back and keep the TF mustang, and go for the large spitfire that is soon to be released?
Go to Facebook and send a message to Henry He, the owner of Top Rc. This is what I did when my hatch blew off and needed replacement parts. The parts were sent quickly and at no cost to me. It does seem as if the manufacturer is doing its best to support their products. Don't waste your time with distributors over here.

I tried to post a link for you, but RCU will not let me. Again, the Facebook page is "Henry He"

https://www.facebook.com/kexiong.he?fref=ts
Old 06-15-2017, 06:37 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I have a few more details to go, but decided to maiden my Mustang. First flight I had some engine problems (always fun) and it seemed the CG was a bit far back at the recommended point. I got it down Ok, figured out the engine issues, added some nose weight. Second flight was much better. It was a hot and humid day, engine was a bit rich, only a couple runs on it. Didn't really have the power it should to pull this plane around the way I'd like. I think once I get it broke in and tuned properly the DLE-55RA will pull it around fine. I have a 22x10 Carbon fiber prop that should help the performance a bit over the Xoar wood prop. Landing was uneventful, it ground handles well and seems to settle well with some flap on landing.

I converted my Gunfighter to "The Millie G" using Callie graphics who provided the Millie G emblem and the G's for the side. I was able to fit a best Pilot's Bob Sweeney into the cockpit. He's a little small (Bob is a small guy) but wit the appropriate prop under his butt he looks the part in the cockpit. I still need to get the guns looking better, and add some detail to the tanks. In any case, it looked good flying by. No in-flight shots yet, but here's a couple of ground photos.

Name:	IMG_0569.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	2220225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0571.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	2220226  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:54 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I made some adjustments, added some additional nose weight and completed some final detailing. The wing guns were made in the mold, but unfortunately are not very scale in size. They are hollow fiberglass, so you can't just remove them to start over without affecting the wing structure. I did what I could with them.
I also added some wing lights and did a bit of work on the panel lines. I airbrush a light spray over the lines, then I use an art pencil to put a bit of "dirt" into them. The affect brings out the lines but is not really over the top. Here are some photos.

Some decent weather today, so I expect to get the plane out and see if I can get it dialed in for the Warbird event season.

Name:	IMG_0580.JPG
Views:	552
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	2221810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	2221811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	2221812  
Old 06-27-2017, 05:09 AM
Cpig

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
I made some adjustments, added some additional nose weight and completed some final detailing. The wing guns were made in the mold, but unfortunately are not very scale in size. They are hollow fiberglass, so you can't just remove them to start over without affecting the wing structure. I did what I could with them.
I also added some wing lights and did a bit of work on the panel lines. I airbrush a light spray over the lines, then I use an art pencil to put a bit of "dirt" into them. The affect brings out the lines but is not really over the top. Here are some photos.

Some decent weather today, so I expect to get the plane out and see if I can get it dialed in for the Warbird event season.
Nice work Todd, how did you make the fuel caps?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:24 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I made the fuel caps with aluminum tape. Cut them out, add a layer, use a pen to engrave the details. Paint them red and stick them on the circle provided.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Todd
What a terrific job you have done! Kudos. This is a real inspiration to me
Old 06-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Cast resin fuel caps available for those who may be interested. I've got them in most of the popular scales.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel%20cap_zps8kkad06i.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2221872

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.