Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

*Seagull Westland Lysander*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

*Seagull Westland Lysander*

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:02 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttmv321
Galen B what did you use to cut your canopy in half and then the whole for the wing. So I don't crack it thanks Tom
I used scissors to split the canopy for the cockpit hatch. I covered the painted frame with blue tape to prevent chipping the paint... I drew a line on the tape to guide the scissors. End result no chips, but the tape pulled away paint anyway... I think the newer blue tape works better than the old stuff I used, and never lift the tape when removing, always pull it back across itself to remove. Pulling it back makes it much less likely to pull off paint. BTW -- I have the formulas for Home Depot paint, in the sample size, that are very good matches for the dark gray and OD...

To cut the wing holes I started with a stepped drill bit to open up holes at the ends big enough to start cutting with scissors. I used the scissors to remove the majority of the material, and switched to #11 Exacto blades to carve away the clear up to the paint lines. Carving was time consuming, but you have much better control if you whittle away it the material a little bit at a time. This process worked well for me.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:20 AM
ttmv321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again and I will try this method I'm getting closer to putting it in the air
thanks Tom
Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM
ttmv321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galen I have another question how did you run your aileron and flap wires into your fuse to your receiver and where did you plug them in and out so when you took the Wings off.
thanks Tom
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Originally Posted by GalenB
I bought this bag: Wing Bags Detail

It's for biplanes, but it has enough compartments so that it holds the wings, the struts, the wing tube, the stab tube, the stabs, and several spare props... Needless to say I think it is perfect!

I have attached a couple of pics (they're not great, but they do show how I pack the wings and struts).
Great Idea Galen!
Have you flown yours yet?
Scott
Old 06-26-2017, 04:45 AM
Fly2XS

Galen I have another question how did you run your aileron and flap wires into your fuse to your receiver and where did you plug them in and out so when you took the Wings off.
thanks Tom
I ran 18-24" extensions from the rx up through tubes to the wing interface and tie-wrapped them there so they are always ready. I rolled paper tubes big enough for the connectors then drilled holes next to the formers on each side and ca'd them in place. I then painted them to match the structure.
Scott
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 AM
GalenB

thanks Tom
I used the 2 into 1 MPX harness from Taildragger RC -- (*NEW* MPX (Flange Mounted) 6" Male 8"-24" Staggered Female Dual servo harness (2 servo's one plug) with 100 Strand 20 AWG Silicon Wire - Taildragger Rc, LLC)

I used light green bubble Tea straws (don't ask why I have those -- I have a daughter...) that I split to cover the wires as they run down one of the formers... I have attached the best picture that I have on hand (lots of scotch tape as I was fitting the canopy)...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160828_005.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2221661  
Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM
GalenB

Originally Posted by Fly2XS
Great Idea Galen!
Have you flown yours yet?
Scott
Not yet... Likely will do the maiden flight this week end...
Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 AM
Fly2XS

Not yet... Likely will do the maiden flight this week end...
I just got my FG60-R3 back from HH so I'll remount it and I should be able to test fly this weekend. I ordered the wing bag Monday and should have it by Friday.
I'll post pictures of my aileron/flap cables tonight.

Scott
Old 06-27-2017, 05:10 AM
Fly2XS

Originally Posted by dmyers0403
We finally made the second flight today with all repairs and modifications made. Zero incidence on stab & wing. Moved CG back (2-1/4" from canopy former) by adding 8 oz at tail wheel. Made cross bracket to secure weight.
Added more elevator control to 1".
Also went to cap screws to replace set screws with flats on tail shaft to prevent tail wheel from rotating on shaft.
Howard did the test flight, thank goodness or it would not have survived. Still earned his reputation as one of the best around.
Changes made did improve flying qualities a lot but it is still a handful to fly, but at least it now flares. Flaps without reducing throttle to a bit above idle sent her vertical in a heartbeat. Thought Howard was trying some of his 3D stuff.
Very pitch sensitive but did not show any tail heavy tendencies other than sensitivity.
She does flare now but did not want to settle in due to strong head wind.
We are going to remove 4 oz. from tail and try again.

Verdict at this point: This plane is not for the faint of heart. We purchased with intent to have a nice looking Warbird with gentle flying characteristics! Wooo-Dogees what a surprise!

Mike:
Fellow club member summed it up best: "Successful" being the key word. Howard can fly anything.

Test Pilot Howard's quote:
I guess we could eventually become Lysander cult heroes if you consider all the fiddling and re-engineering we did to eventually pull this off? At least we proved that ALL incidences and the CG were bogus even though we're still fine-tuning the CG. I'm proud to have my name associated with this funky flight :-)

First Landing attemp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJc...ature=youtu.be

First & only takeoff and Second Landing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhq5taz5cXM
Looking forward to flying with you (TRAMPS) again in Owatonna next month!
We'll have a couple of Lizzies flying as well!

Scott
Old 06-27-2017, 06:43 AM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott:
Just finished another flight two weekends ago with 4oz. remove from tail, which put CG about where Germans spec' their's. We are at 1.7" from front of wing root at cabin.
All incidence are still at zero. We are going to add about 2 degrees down thrust on engine.

The plane flew beautiful and landing was easy with no flaps because of good modest 5-10 mph headwind. Totally manageable. It is now a keeper. Flare's and landed rather gently. It is definitely a rudder plane, skids thru turns with just aileron.

Since we have successfully debugged our Lysander, we examined the built in engineering defects and it has been determined by our own authorized flying committee that it was the RUSSIANS that obliviously interfered in original design decisions. Howard was committee chair who uncovered the conspiracy.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Fly2XS

Originally Posted by dmyers0403
Scott:
Just finished another flight two weekends ago with 4oz. remove from tail, which put CG about where Germans spec' their's. We are at 1.7" from front of wing root at cabin.
All incidence are still at zero. . . . .
Are you saying you did NOT modify the tail incidence, or did you modify it per the German recommendations?
Scott
Old 06-27-2017, 08:06 AM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott: We did Modify Tail incidence. We took out the factory incidence of 5 degrees (+) positive on our tail and set it to Zero (0) degree relative to wing incidence. A small amount of positive (+) tail incidence may be good like the Germans did to help prevent ballooning, but ours is (0).
If you modify yours I would set a bit of positive (+) 1-1/2 to 1.75 max incidence at tail like the Germans as ours balloons some with flaps. A bit of positive should stop that. Also be sure and set balance as they did and add the increased elevator travel or it will be very difficult to land.

PS: I love the plane, it is a great ARF and well worth the effort to get it right.

Last edited by dmyers0403; 06-27-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:41 AM
Fly2XS

Balancing the Lysander to dmeyers0403 recommendations. 1.7" behind the LE @ the fuselage. Matches the wing locater pilot hole. Hung it from the ceiling joists and added lead to the tail.

Looks like 8 ounces of lead to balance without the cowl or spats.
I'm going to shift my flight batteries to the observers position below his seat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-05_063203_Balancing-Lizzie-00.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2223067

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-05_063307_Balancing-Lizzie-02.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2223068
Old 07-05-2017, 10:20 AM
GalenB

Balancing the Lysander to dmeyers0403 recommendations. 1.7" behind the LE @ the fuselage. Matches the wing locater pilot hole. Hung it from the ceiling joists and added lead to the tail.

Looks like 8 ounces of lead to balance without the cowl or spats.
I'm going to shift my flight batteries to the observers position below his seat.
Attachment 2223067

Attachment 2223068
I have put a lot of work into my Lysander, especially the CG issue. I even bought a Xicoy CG machine so that I can be as accurate as possible. I know that my CG is 141mm behind the main gear. And I know from reading an article in a UK model magazine that they settled on 149mm behind the main gear, 15mm behind the root leading edge. Another 40mm further back seems a little risky to me -- assuming the measurements posted are accurate. Using the Xicopy I know to the mm where is the CG. I also think the Lysander has a pretty wide CG range, but I am too conservative to push it that far back on the first flight.

Here is a video of the first flight of my Lysander:

Mine flew with the cowl, spats, +3 degrees stab incidence, and no lead... The engine is too rich on the high end, but all in all it flew very well.

I have some post flight pics that I will upload soon.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Fly2XS

I have put a lot of work into my Lysander, especially the CG issue. I even bought a Xicoy CG machine so that I can be as accurate as possible. I know that my CG is 141mm behind the main gear. And I know from reading an article in a UK model magazine that they settled on 149mm behind the main gear, 15mm behind the root leading edge. Another 40mm further back seems a little risky to me -- assuming the measurements posted are accurate. Using the Xicopy I know to the mm where is the CG. I also think the Lysander has a pretty wide CG range, but I am too conservative to push it that far back on the first flight.

Here is a video of the first flight of my Lysander: https://youtu.be/6eXrNjk9SEE

Mine flew with the cowl, spats, +3 degrees stab incidence, and no lead... The engine is too rich on the high end, but all in all it flew very well.

I have some post flight pics that I will upload soon.
Great 1st flight Galen!
Just to confirm your information:
  1. You did NOT change the stab incidence from the ARF as-shipped?
  2. Your measurement of 141 mm behind the main gear is from what reference point on the main gear? The axles?
Thanks for any clarifications!
Scott
Old 07-05-2017, 11:48 AM
GalenB

Great 1st flight Galen!
Just to confirm your information:
  1. You did NOT change the stab incidence from the ARF as-shipped
  2. Your measurement of 141 mm behind the main gear is from what reference point on the main gear? The axles?
Thanks for any clarifications!
Scott
I carefully measured my stab incidences and found them to be at +3 degrees -- which is what I expected from my readings on this plane -- so I left them alone. I did not change the stab incidences from the as built settings. Thus far, changing them does not seem necessary. There is another Seagull Lysander flying at my field, and it too has as built stab incidences and it flies great. After watching this one fly, and land softly I decided to not alter my stab incidences.

The Xicopy CG machine measurements are from the center of the tires, the axles.

I think you can start flying with the CG anywhere from 140mm to 150mm behind the axles. Once everything is trimmed and you are comfortable you can adjust the CG to fit your flying style and preference. I also looked at the Phoenix Lysander manual to see where they put the CG, and it is in that range of 15mm behind the leading edge root... These measurements are likely conservative, but I think they are very good starting points.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Fly2XS

Great feedback for us Galen!
Do you have some stills of the finished aircraft?
- The updated engine baffles? Did you mount them to the engine, or the cowl?
- In-flight, take-off & landing stills so we can see the elevator at flair?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 PM
GalenB

Great feedback for us Galen!
Do you have some stills of the finished aircraft?
- The updated engine baffles? Did you mount them to the engine, or the cowl?
- In-flight, take-off & landing stills so we can see the elevator at flair?

Thanks!
Scott
Sorry, no pics in flight... Have post flight pics, but RCU won't allow me to upload them -- I get an error that directs me to the sysadmin...

The baffle is mounted to the cowl. I know I covered this either in this thread or the on the other site...

As a frame of reference Paul's CG was 10mm forward of mine -- he posted the pics with the up elevator in them...

I am sure my CG is still a bit forward. This good, because I want to shorten the nose on mine, and that will mean less lead to get the CG right after moving the engine back...
Old 07-06-2017, 04:23 AM
Fly2XS

Sorry, no pics in flight... Have post flight pics, but RCU won't allow me to upload them -- I get an error that directs me to the sysadmin...
I find I can't upload photos any longer. I have to post them somewhere else and then link them.
Is this what we can expect from now on for service from RCU???
Old 07-06-2017, 04:30 AM
Fly2XS

Galen,
I went back to the bench and leveled the aircraft, sighted where the axles are in relation to the cockpit and found your position to be 15 mm behind the first canopy former (behind the cockpit module). I took off the lead from the tail and slid an aluminum channel under that point as a pivot. The aircraft balanced there. I thing as long as we're within 15 mm behind the first former and the wing dowel locator hole we should be fine. Hopefully I can maiden mine Friday or Saturday.
Scott
Old 07-06-2017, 10:22 AM
GalenB

Galen,
I went back to the bench and leveled the aircraft, sighted where the axles are in relation to the cockpit and found your position to be 15 mm behind the first canopy former (behind the cockpit module). I took off the lead from the tail and slid an aluminum channel under that point as a pivot. The aircraft balanced there. I thing as long as we're within 15 mm behind the first former and the wing dowel locator hole we should be fine. Hopefully I can maiden mine Friday or Saturday.
Scott
Hi Scott,

As I read the previous something seems odd to me -- please bear with me as I explain...

My Lysander has the Saito 60 R3 on 2.75" stand offs, has three Futaba S9551 low profile MG servos in the tail (45 grams each), and two A123 pack mounted just behind the firewall in the all to cramped area under the cockpit hatch. With this setup, including cowl, spats, wing and struts my CG is at 141mm behind the axles -- dry.

I don't know much about your Lysander setup, other than you mounted the Saito 60 R3 without stand offs and shortened your cowl by about 2", and are measuring CG sans cowl and spats. I don't know what you did for the tail servos, or anything else about your setup. Given where you have your engine I don't understand how your CG is not much further back. Hopefully you won't mind describing your setup and how you are setting up the plane for CG measurements. I am curious as to why these two planes seem so different and I would like to understand it -- if you don't mind taking the time to describe your setup. I am a bit OCD at times and inconsistencies make me crazy!

FYI -- I did program higher than recommended elevator throws on my Lysander. I started at the recommended rate and added 20% or so. I also had two more conditions with ever increasing throws available -- just in case... My test pilot cautions that this plane has a lot of adverse yaw and must be flow with rudder in the turns. This not surprising given the vintage of the design and the wing layout. I will likely program differential aileron, more up, than down, as I start to fly it myself.

Best of luck with your maiden flight!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Fly2XS

My Lysander has the Saito 60 R3 on 2.75" stand offs, has three Futaba S9551 low profile MG servos in the tail (45 grams each), and two A123 pack mounted just behind the firewall in the all to cramped area under the cockpit hatch. With this setup, including cowl, spats, wing and struts my CG is at 141mm behind the axles -- dry.

I don't know much about your Lysander setup, other than you mounted the Saito 60 R3 without stand offs and shortened your cowl by about 2", and are measuring CG sans cowl and spats. I don't know what you did for the tail servos, or anything else about your setup. Given where you have your engine I don't understand how your CG is not much further back. Hopefully you won't mind describing your setup and how you are setting up the plane for CG measurements. I am curious as to why these two planes seem so different and I would like to understand it -- if you don't mind taking the time to describe your setup. I am a bit OCD at times and inconsistencies make me crazy!
Galen,
I'll try to upload my images to help:
  1. I have (2) Spektrum DS821 digital servos in the stab for the elevators.
  2. I replaced the tail wheel assembly with a much more sturdy (and scale like) wheel assembly with a 2" wheel. (weight unknown)
  3. I replaced the stock gear with the much heavier TnT 6061-T6 gear. (as you did)
  4. I replaced the 5" plastic wheels from the kit with Robart 6" six spoke aluminum wheels. (12 oz each) I do have scale 7" Sullivan wheels (the full size had 36" wheels and at 1/5th scale they should be 7 1/4" diameter)
  5. My rudder servo DS821 is in the forward position with a single wire pushrod connecting to the modified nose gear steering arm on the tail wheel.
  6. I replace the kit tank with a 16 ounce Rotoflow tank.
  7. I moved the flight batteries below the CG (2) 2000 mAH 5 cell NiMh receiver packs and (1) 4000 mAH 5 cell NiMh ignition pack (heavy) straddling the rudder servo.
  8. I placed my switches and fuel dot beneath the removable cockpit.
  9. I have a Best Pilot's Sailor Mann pilot figure and a Ian Flemming observer.
  10. My FG60-R3 has the original exhaust tubes and is mounted 1/4 inch from the firewall.
  11. I had removed 2 1/2 inches of cowl to make it more scale like.
  12. My ignition module is mounted above the engine mounting box.
I hope that helps!
I'll add the images shortly!
Scott
Old 07-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Fly2XS

Old 07-07-2017, 08:55 AM
GalenB

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info and pics about your setup. I really liked seeing the TnT gear, which I have yet to purchase. I am not a fan of the slot in the stock gear in which the axles mount...

All of your posted pics showing balance are sans wings. Is that how you are setting the CG?

Given the shortness of your nose, heavy full size servos in the tail, and batteries near, or slightly aft of CG I cannot understand how you are not very tail heavy. My engine is 2.75" farther forward of yours, and my batteries are right behind the firewall. I also have no pilot or cockpit details-- yet...

Setting the CG on mine drove me crazy for months and I am therefore paranoid about it for other Lysanders. The double taper wing is quite unique and calculating CG, and center of lift, are different. This why I got the Xicoy CG machine, working with the wing for CG was too hard. Besides, if the guys who fly very expensive jets rely on the Xicoy, that was a strong endorsement.

Last edited by GalenB; 07-07-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Fly2XS

Thanks for the info and pics about your setup. I really liked seeing the TnT gear, which I have yet to purchase. I am not a fan of the slot in the stock gear in which the axles mount...

All of your posted pics showing balance are sans wings. Is that how you are setting the CG?

Given the shortness of your nose, heavy full size servos in the tail, and batteries near, or slightly aft of CG I cannot understand how you are not very tail heavy. My engine is 2.75" farther forward of yours, and my batteries are right behind the firewall. I also have no pilot or cockpit details-- yet...

Setting the CG on mine drove me crazy for months and I am therefore paranoid about it for other Lysanders.
Hi Galen!
I used your input and the feedback of the Oklahoma team and set my CG near the 15 mm point behind the leading edge of the wing at the root. Yes, I did this without the wing.
I had everything ready so I just decided to fly it!

it flew GREAT!
Here's a link to a first flyby!

She acted if she was a little nose heavy so I have a little up trim. I had programmed 30% rudder with the aileron so coordinated turns were easy! Stalls were straight forward and sooooo slow! She would mush for a second then drop of on the left wing. Very predictable and not much different than my SuperCub.
i can see a lot of time doing low & slow passes just to hear the engine as well as touch and goes!
Ive got her loaded up for Air Supremacy over Goshen this week, then I'll start detailing her!
My Lizzie is a KEEPER!

Last edited by Fly2XS; 07-09-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.