Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Time For A New Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Time For A New Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:03 AM
Champstarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For A New Warbird

Hi everyone,

Not long ago I finished my TF .61 size P47 and it flies great. Now it's time for a new warbird and I would appreciate any relevant advice, opinions or feedback. I have narrowed the field down to three choices:

A.) TF .61 size P51
B.) ESM FW - 190A (71")
C.) ESM Supermarine Spitfire MK.XIV\XIX (72.5")

I have read reviews about all of these models but most of the ESM reviews I have found are 3+ years old so I am curious to hear other flyers recent experiences. The TF P47 I built went together beautifully and I was very impressed with manual as it is top notch. I know the ESM manuals were a source of criticism years past and wonder if they were improved over the last few years. I plan on making anyone of these a gasser and using E-flight 60-120 electric size retracts. I want to keep the wingspan length 73" or below due to transport limitations.

Which one should it be? All these planes are favorites of mine.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Top Flite 60 sized P-51 powered by a DLE 20. It came out at 11 lbs with the gasser and two batteries, one for the receiver and one for the ignition. It flies great, goes just where it is pointed almost like a pattern plane. Lands best on the mains with full flaps. Biggest problem using a gasser is engine cooling. I am using an older DLE 20 with a pitts muffler. It would run great on the ground but after flying a few minutes would state acting up, wouldn't idle down and then would quit when throttle advanced. Finally figured out it was vapor lock from the rear carb getting too hot because of it's location over the muffler. Had to duct cool air from the scoop to the upper rear cowl over the carb and put air dam/cowl flap in front to lower rear air exit. It works and runs good now.

Can't comment on the ESM planes you mention, but have assembled two others. ESMs are not TF or H9 arfs and don't go together near as well and required a lot of mods, alterations and fitting, replacement of hard ware ect. Also they tend to come out heavy. I have the 72" wing span Hellcat which weights 18.3 lbs but flies ok with a G-38. Here is the P-51 and the Hellcat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1752.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	946.5 KB
ID:	2174027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 6.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	2174028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	2174029   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1745.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2174030  
Old 07-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had all 3 you listed.

Both of the ESM planes I had came with fuselage alignment problems. The wing saddle on both were not symmetrical and not in alignment with the horizontal stabilizer.
I checked other ESM models like the 109, Hurricane, and two 190's and another new Spitfire and all had molded wing saddle problems. I flew my Spitfire with an OS 160 which had good power but the plane didn't fly very well.
The 109 needed the saddle modified to make the wings align with the stab. I left the Spitfire and 190 alone. The 190 builds out pretty heavy if done as an electric power system which means flying more scale and being very careful not to yank and bank.

Currently Im flying the TF P-51D with a DLE 20 and its clocking 109mph and its on rails. The gear can be a bit weak on grass runways but otherwise it's a great plane. Flys well fast or slow.

Unless you can get the ESM plane cheap and your willing to go thru it and check it I'd just get any TF war bird and go fly.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:03 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

My experience mirrors those discussed above. For quality and flight performance, stick with Top Flite. You might look at their other offerings, particularly the larger birds. There are 3 options on the giant scale P-47. None would disappoint you.