Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Corsair upgrades

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Corsair upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:30 PM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Corsair upgrades

Evening everyone, I picked up a Top Flite Gold edition Corsair from a local flying buddy the other day. I am deciding whether or not to purchase this plane. It is 8 or 9 years old by now and has no more than a dozen flights on it. The top and bottom sheeting in the gull area of the wing has developed cracks top and bottom. The cracks on top are nearly identical and the bottoms are quite similar to each other also. My friend has decided he doesn't want to repair this wing and feels it may be close to failure. I've flexed the wing enough to determine if there is serious damage to the spar and found very little flexing which indicates to me the spar is still in good condition. I understand the sheeting is a structural component and that I may have to replace a good bit of the sheeting to make sure it doesn't fail. Is this a common problem in this kit or perhaps common to most Corsair kits? Next question, this plane flew quite well on a YS 91 AC showing no problems with inadequate power. The cowl has a diameter of 7 inches.Although I have a few YS engines in service now I don't get along with them as well as I do OS. Is there a decent 3 or perhaps five cylinder radial that will fit inside that cowl? I just think that would sound very cool on this plane. Finally is there a decent set of retracts available for this plane? I have used mechanical units when I was very active in pattern and wouldn't have a problem with mechanicals here but would prefer either electrical gear or pneumatic if I could find something like Spring Air units that would lower to the down position in the event of an air loss. The way this wing is built retracts are required. This plane is very well built and beautifully finished. Making the above repairs is not a problem, the worst part being repainting where needed. At least I know what kind of paint to use and what the colors are. Am I nuts for wanting to do this or is there some sort of twisted logic to it? Rick H.