Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

David Vaughan's P-51B Mustang rebuild -gear help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

David Vaughan's P-51B Mustang rebuild -gear help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:49 AM
Astro_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default David Vaughan's P-51B Mustang rebuild -gear help

Hello all,

I have not posted in here for a while, but I am after some help with a project I am undertaking. I friend built a David Vaughan 1780mm wingspan P-51B Mustang from scratch, but he installed his own retracts, which are Robart Air Retracts. Unfortunately since building the aircraft and having it stored, the undercarriage is missing. The story goes that the builder lent the Oleo, strut and Wheels to a guy to make them more scale like. Bad news is, while that guy had them in his possession, he moved house and my friend has lost contact with him, so the Oleo's and Wheels are missing.

I am now in the process or rebuilding this fine aircraft and returning it to it's flying condition. I however need the dimensions of the strut so I can order new ones from Custom Retracts here in Australia. I measured the distance from the retracts to where the centre of the hub is on the wheel, and I believe this to be 210mm. If anyone has built this model with their own retract system, could you please confirm sizes for me, and if possible the dimensions of the strut and Oleo length. Also what motor you used in the model.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Wall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15369120_1509510032396484_6475062588240701359_o.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	2193916  
Old 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrew, what is the diameter of the strut? Do you know the Robart part number of the retracts that are installed or were installed? Don't forget to include the part of the strut that goes into the retracts when determining the length needed. Dan.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:24 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Astro_ I do not know anything about this particular model. However the Robart website has dimensional drawings for their retracts.

Link to the #653L oleo for a .60 size Top Flite P-51 63" WS)

http://robart.com/collections/gear-f...-3-3-1-4-wheel

Link to the #622-5 retract for the Top Flite GS P-51 84" WS

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/033...622-5.pdf?3791

You can look at other Robert gear, maybe finding some useful info.

I guess its possible that the plane's original oleos were not P-51 style, just straight.

Brian