RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

what happened to Black Horse Models ?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what happened to Black Horse Models ?

Guys, has Black Horse Models stopped selling inside the USA ?

I can't find their War Birds inside the USA, I was looking at their 64" Tomahawk or their 68" Corsair

thanks !!

Jim
Old 01-26-2017, 06:41 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://americanpioneerhobbies.com/index.html
Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM
oriole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To Jim's point...No Warbirds Offered/Available on Website.

Oriole
Old 01-27-2017, 09:40 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They have P51s and Spitfires in stock, aren't they warbirds?
Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 AM
oriole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll give you that. Only Two Warbirds and the small .46 size. No selection.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:35 AM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just called Pioneer Hobbies, I was told they only have the Black Horse Spitfire and P-51, I believe the P-51 is a 60 size plane (glow), and the Spitfire is a 46 size,,

I was also told that there will be "no" Black Horse War Birds coming (to the USA) in the near future, he said something like "Black Horse holding back the decision to ship", ((as for me I am wondering if this has something to do with Black Horse's thoughts about what Trump is up to, as said "it's just a thought on my part"))..

boy this is very disappointing, I have a Zenoah 20 that has been modified for a Heli and I wish to put it in a Warbird (this engine is producing about 20% more power than a stock G20),

on the other hand, if you like and want a 60 size glow P-51 with flaps you can order one now for $145 from Pioneer

along with that low price of $145 and no Warbirds coming in you have to wonder ??

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 01-27-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: because I screwed up and I had to come back and save the world
Old 01-27-2017, 11:23 AM
dmyers0403

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was buying 50cc Black Horse products three plus years ago. They just stopped being available for the most part (with few exceptions) a couple of years ago well before Trump. Never found reason why. Good flyers but lightly built. Retracts were no good which made the price to high. When I had to add cost of replacement retracts they were no longer attractive to me. Could be why they lost out. Few left in inventory for a while.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:02 PM
Warbird AL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Same here... they stopped exporting their larger warbirds to the US a few years ago..I was lucky and found someone with a large 109 in the back of their warehouse about 2 years ago..BH exports them to England and the rest of Europe..again has nothing to do with current election.. this was awhile ago. Their larger planes fly well, but the construction is fragile compared to let's say Top Flite birds. For example, the 50cc 109 I fly it with a G38 at 4000 ft elevation and it moves along very well. I had a DLE 55 in it at first but it was way overpowered imho..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my 109 june 2016.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	2198546  

Last edited by Warbird AL; 01-27-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 PM
dmyers0403

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My 90" Corsair is very fragile and difficult to Handel. Once you add engine, retracts etc. the weight builds up and it becomes very easy to punch thru the thin sheeting when handling. Great looking but fragil.
I would spend the same money on the stronger TF and HH planes.

Last edited by dmyers0403; 01-27-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys for the info, it helps knowing the BH planes are rather lightly made

so what about Phoenix Model's, are their planes light built too, they have a 63" span Kittyhawk, and a 70" span Corsair,

actually, if you watch Phoenix Model's videos and Black Horse videos you may (as I do) think the two companies are one in the same

thanks guys !!

Jim
Old 01-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Growler84

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been flying the 89" Wyvern for almost 3 years now and love it. Yes it is fragile and the gear were an immediate throw-away but it flies really well on a Rotomax 50cc electric motor. It is too bad they are not available any more, I picked mine up here in Vegas after it sat on the shelf at Hobby People for over a year...$385!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0014.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	2199054   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	2199055  
Old 01-31-2017, 03:36 AM
jescardin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Problem with Black Horse model worlwide happened when they switched all the available models to tube joined half wings and removable canopy for access to batterias as all models could then be electric powered.

This production change brought a price increase of about a 20% which made the entire range overpriced.

In Europe there is no Black Horse models on Spain since 2 years ago and in Germany main distributor/shop closed last summer. Only RIPMAX in UK gives continues importing and distributing the full range and offering the new models. Not strange then than also USA reps gave up on Black Horse.

By the way I also love this brand and own a small Chipmunk and a JU-87 Stuka from them.

Best Regards.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:32 AM
drypipe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Unhappy

Black Horse Models is Dead in the U.S..... and to make things worse, it appears that Top Flite, Great Planes and Hangar 9 are slowly limiting production on all of their .60 Size Balsa ARF warbirds as well. Last night I emailed Horizon Hobby's Product Support and asked them if H9 will be developing any more .60 Balsa ARF Warbirds. I received a reply from Doug B. and he said : "The Hobby is moving away from wood ARFs in the .60 size because Foam Technology has advanced to such a degree that these Balsa Planes can be made from foam." He also said that there are now "less options for warbirds in .60 size lately and there are no plans for any H9 Balsa warbirds to be released before Christmas." Really ??..I think this is the same exact thinking coming from Hobbico because Top Flite and Great Planes have pulled back on producing more Balsa ARF' warbirds. I was hoping there would be a .60 size FW-190, to follow up on their Top Flite Giant Scale FW-190, but now I don't think this is going to happen. The Top Flite Giant P-40 is still around but Hobbico Pulled the Top Flite .60 size P-40 and the AT-6 Texan !
Then again, Sig Mfg. is having financial and structural issues, so you may See Seagull Models Back at Horizon.

I think Horizon's decision to switch from Balsa ARf warbirds to FMS/Dynam and Freewing Foam warbirds is Dumbing Down the Hobby.

Last edited by drypipe; 09-08-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:04 PM
tailskid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Drypipe, I wish you were totally off base, but sadly, you are probably correct. Guess it looks like scratch building may make a comeback if you want a "smaller" warbird.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 PM
BobH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's called "Market forces". When a product sits on the shelf to long it gets discontinued. Such is the fate of many 60 sized wooden arf's. I'm not surprised in the least.. I've been doing this stuff for 50 years and have seen lots of things come an go..
Old 09-08-2017, 05:58 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
The Hobby is moving away from wood ARFs in the .60 size because Foam Technology has advanced to such a degree that these Balsa Planes can be made from foam
Quote:
It's called "Market forces". When a product sits on the shelf to long it gets discontinued. Such is the fate of many 60 sized wooden arf's. I'm not surprised in the least
add the fact that they make a killing on foam so they are going that way

Jim
Old 09-09-2017, 08:10 PM
tailskid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My hobby shop has a couple of them.....Duncan's Hobby shop, Phoenix, AZ. I saw a large Cub and a twin (Aero Commander) and three other ones......602) 347-5518

jerry

Last edited by tailskid; 09-09-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:42 PM
the Wasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

drypipe
Quote:
The Hobby is moving away from wood ARFs in the .60 size because Foam Technology has advanced to such a degree that these Balsa Planes can be made from foam.
so you are saying these planes will all be electric ?? if so it looks like the engine manufacturers will be getting upset

Jim
Old 09-12-2017, 01:01 AM
drypipe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
drypipe

so you are saying these planes will all be electric ?? if so it looks like the engine manufacturers will be getting upset

Jim
Those are Horizon Hobbies words not mine.

Search this Thread