Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Century Jets ripped me off......

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Century Jets ripped me off......

Old 04-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Century Jets ripped me off......

Aloha,
I purchased a set of electric retracts from Century Jets over 15 months ago. The gear they first sent me literally fell apart on the test stand while I was test running the engine for the first time on the model. I paid $430.00 to receive Electrical retracts for a ESM Skyraider. The first set I was sent was not a C.J. produced set of landing gear, but a China made ESM second or third generation electric landing gear made for the ESM Skyraider. I was at the time doing the build on the Skyraider Brotherhood thread here on RCUniverse. I was contacted by Bruce at C.J. and he told me he was upset I didn't contact him first of my problem and was unhappy with me. I felt if I spent good money for an American made product and charged as such and instead received cheap junk...he deserved the write up. I set the gear back...and four months later I received a new set of gear from him. He requested and I sent him a detailed picture of my retract wheel wells and spacing for the gear I needed. I sent pictures and measurements by a dial indicator to him and a digram. The second set of gear I received would not fit into my mounting rails. The gear he sent the second time was well built and appeared well made. But I ordered electric landing gear to fit my ESM Skyraider and this second gear didn't work.

Both sets of his gear worked with my Airtronics radio gear. I use only 5 cell nickel batteries and I do not use any other type of battery.

His last set he sent to me came to me in and were what he called "enhanced" ESM electric landing gear. Both gear when hooked up to my model retracted just once...and locked in the down and landing position. The gear with my Airtronics equipment refused to retract and one landing gear had an excess of 15 deg. side play. One gear was acceptable and one gear had an excessive side play, besides refusing to retract. I sent this third set back to Bruce at Century Jet and requested a refund and that I no longer wanted his product and to refund my money. By this time over a year had passed.

Bruce stated there was nothing wrong with the landing gear and sent it back to me.

When the gear came back, I refused to accept the landing gear and sent it back to him demanding now my money back.

He now refused to talk to me, to refund my money and I am out $430.00 from him.

Just thought you guys should know who and what you can expect from Century Jets and Bruce. He had my original post about this removed...lets see if he gets this removed too.

This is the first American Company that I have lost money from and after over a year...my patience ended in dealing with this man and company.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 04-04-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You've got my sympathies Bobby. Unfortunately this story has an all too common ring to it.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 PM
oldtimer4759

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of air retracts off him for an ESM Spitfire, 72' wingspan, after a LOT of work I finally got them to fit, but the slop in the multi piece units was shocking, there was slop in the retract unit, then an adaptor to go to the strut, so that is 3 slop points, that was just the forward and back slop, plus the play where the ram pushed the legs out, I find a couple of very nice take offs and a couple of good landings and I have to pull them out to re adjust them.
at least you are in USA, I am in Australia, he didnt even answer my emails, about problems, he was very quick before I put the order in.
a Minus 5 stars for his product.
Oldtimer
Old 04-05-2017, 05:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
You've got my sympathies Bobby. Unfortunately this story has an all too common ring to it.

So true Chad, I've never used his products, likely never will, with all the negative reviews concerning his customer service, I'm surprised he's still in the hobby business.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly, I had a very similar experience with CJM last year. Never again. Poor customer service will end up being detrimental to any business in this hobby.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
The real show with this guy is that he takes your money...sends you gear that is of poor quality and when you ask for your money back...all of a sudden, you never hear from him again. I refuses to refund money and when you send back the junk he sent you...he keeps the gear and some poor guy down the line will get it. Sad way to treat fellow modelers.
Soft Landing Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I purchased my kit and landing gear through a company in Colorado over a year ago. I was charged $430.00 from the company for electric ESM Skyraider landing gear. The company chose Century Jets to supply my gear and after more then a year...and Bruce refusing to refund the money, I contacted the company that sold me the kit and landing gear. The company told me Bruce at Century Jets told them that I was filed legal case against him and his company and they had to hire a lawyer and why I was not refunded the money. That is Bruce at Century Jets lying again and covering up for his lack of integrity and his excuse for ripping me off. Several companies already know of how he treated me and other folks. I am now trying to receive my refund from the company that chose Bruce to supply the gear. If I have too...I will file with my Credit Card company. I do pray I do not have to go to that extreme to get what is due to me.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would file with the credit card company now and deal with the vendors later.
you bought on "good faith" so you lived up to your part of the bargain.
Now it's their problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would file with the credit card company now and deal with the vendors later.
you bought on "good faith" so you lived up to your part of the bargain.
Now it's their problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once knew a guy that ran a web site and sold RC products. Nice site, looked like his company was really big and professional. When actually he worked out of his garage. He would never list a physical address on his site. He boasted of having a huge inventory. When the truth of the matter was that he dropped shipped everything. After a while of doing business, he stopped delivering and what he did deliver was low quality junk.

When people started complaining and wanting their money back, he wouldn't respond. When people stopped ordering, he just changed the name on the web site and started over again.

I never order from a site that doesn't show a physical address. Before the internet when companies advertised in the magazines, they would have a physical address. Now with the internet, it's become a world mired in fraud.

Frank
Old 04-21-2017, 01:45 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hi Guys,
I purchased my kit and landing gear through a company in Colorado over a year ago. I was charged $430.00 from the company for electric ESM Skyraider landing gear. The company chose Century Jets to supply my gear and after more then a year...and Bruce refusing to refund the money, I contacted the company that sold me the kit and landing gear. The company told me Bruce at Century Jets told them that I was filed legal case against him and his company and they had to hire a lawyer and why I was not refunded the money. That is Bruce at Century Jets lying again and covering up for his lack of integrity and his excuse for ripping me off. Several companies already know of how he treated me and other folks. I am now trying to receive my refund from the company that chose Bruce to supply the gear. If I have too...I will file with my Credit Card company. I do pray I do not have to go to that extreme to get what is due to me.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Over a year later??, I doubt the credit card company will help you,, isn't there a 180 limit on CC Claims??
Old 04-21-2017, 03:10 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Over a year later??, I doubt the credit card company will help you,, isn't there a 180 limit on CC Claims??
Usually it is one billing cycle. That is why mail order like Hobby King asks you to wait so long before you file a charge back with your credit card company.

Dennis
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn
Usually it is one billing cycle. That is why mail order like Hobby King asks you to wait so long before you file a charge back with your credit card company.

Dennis
my first set of oleos were CJ after 100 flights on a landing one of the wheel yokes separated from the part that holds the spring. i some how landed without damaging the oleo further. I'm a ME working for an aviation company, whey had built the oleo backwards so as the press fit worked it allowed it to come loose. i took a zip tie and looped it around the scissors and the wheel yoke to limit the max movement of the oleo and flew the rest of the season.

removed it after the season and took it to the wrams show, waited to talk to bruce, and showed him what was happening. my oleos where several years old by then so i just wanted to show him how to build them so the failure point was inspect able and did not require total disassembly of the oleo. there was no discussion, he was totally un interested in anything i had to say. so while at the wrams show i bought a pair of robo struts and never looked back.

Joe
Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Propworn

Dennis
Well, I can go back 90 days though the capitol one web site and report a problem,, so I know it at least 90 days,,, what's in your wallet?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Bob Paris

Hi folks,
I contacted the company that I purchased my ESM Skyraider from...and gave her my experience with Bruce at Century Jets. She just called him...and refused to read this post or the one with Skyraider Brotherhood post. She just took his word for it...and you will be amused at what Bruce told her. Here is the email I was sent by ARFPros.

Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:43 PM
To: Robert Paris
Subject:

Hello Bob,
I wanted to let you know what Bruce is willing to do for you as he feels he has bent over backwards to help you out. I haven't looked on the RCU thread to see what you had stated. Below is what Bruce recently sent me: Ask your customer to retract the thread on RCU.

He then needs to issue a new thread saying he apologizes to my company for his inappropriate comments with a promise never to use my name on the internet, good or bad, under his name or an alias. Then he needs to go away, bury his head in the sand and I might issue him a $300.00 gift certificate. The year limited warranty date was up a while ago fyi. I just thought that I would forward what Bruce is wanting to convey. I haven't had any issue with his retracts at all and so I find this situation very unfortunate & I'm sorry things have turned out this way I really wish you would have come forward and filled me in on the 'play by play' so that I could've helped during the window of time that I had the ability but it does appear that Bruce did put out the effort to help you out more than once otherwise it would've seemed counterproductive on his part potentially.
It's getting late & I will close for now.

Sincerely,

__________________________________________________ _______

Are you ready for this.....
If I open a new thread and apologize for my Inappropriate comments about Bruce and Century Jets, he would be so gracious to return $300.00 gift certificate of the $430.00 he took for my retracts. Pocketing $130.00 of my money. To be honest I was surprised xxxxxxx would accept this from him...for she paid him $430.00 of my money. What on earth would I want you to sell me...really a gift certificate to Century Jet landing gear...? I just managed to go through a 15 month tap dance with you for your landing gear already...and now honoring me by a gift certificate of what you sold me...really Bruce.? He talks of a year warrantee on the landing gear...I had three different sets of gear in more then a year. I had to wait over 9 months for you to send me my gear to me...so tell me...what gear and when does the warrantee kick in Bruce? I would kiss a Donkeys Tail Feathers long before I would apologize to Bruce at Century Jets. Bruce is exactly what he shows to be...a man with a complete lack of integrity and he took dishonorably from me.

No Bruce...just take the retracts and use them for a suppository...your so backed up...You are in a serious need of a release...the horse manure is getting knee deep around you.

Now Ladies and Gentleman...this is about as nice as I am able to express my issue with Bruce at Century Jets.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Last edited by Bob Paris; 05-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 AM
oldtimer4759

well said Bobby, I just hope a few people who were thinking of buying his product read this thread first. a lot of us feel like we have been taken by rubbish product.
Oldtimer
Old 05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Bob Paris

Aloha Gentelmen,
I just received word from the folks that sold me the kit and landing gear. I was informed that Century Jets will not work with them to solve this problem. I was also informed that if I want to receive my funds back I may have to file a legal case against this company. I have informed the BBB in Hawaii and from the same state Century Jets is located.

As it is...Century Jets has serious questionable business practices and like with me...you have maybe if your lucky a slim chance to get your products sold by Bruce.

Soft landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Zeppelin1275

Been sitting on the fence on this one for a while, I have to ask, Is there any photos of the product in question that back up your description ? I would be interested to see what is so bad about a set of retracts that can cause so much fuss ! ?
Regards
Ben
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM
moparbob498

Holy smokes Bob, I don't even know what to say, that's so messed up, - that situation would definitely have me fouled up for a considerable amount of time....
And this is not the first mention of cj gear problems that I've run across, & I'm a noob---
Good luck Bob
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM
paladin

Originally Posted by Zeppelin1275
Been sitting on the fence on this one for a while, I have to ask, Is there any photos of the product in question that back up your description ? I would be interested to see what is so bad about a set of retracts that can cause so much fuss ! ?
Regards
Ben
they used to make you buy them with the ARF's and they were junk. I have a version of china 1's, and china 2's, and china 3's that came with kits. I did put the retracts that came with my KMP Hurri into a 40 size sport plane (the only pair that did not leak badly) and they only lasted a couple of flights cause they were made of T0 aluminum.

in bobs case I have to wonder if anyone told him to increase the ATV for the retracts cause a lot of times it takes 104% throw to get the retracts to realize you want them to go up or down.

Joe
Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by paladin
t,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

in bobs case I have to wonder if anyone told him to increase the ATV for the retracts cause a lot of times it takes 104% throw to get the retracts to realize you want them to go up or down.

Joe
I've never had that as an issue with any electrics I've had,, but wouldn't that be the job of the manufacturer if that was a possible cause of them not cycling?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:36 AM
paladin

nobody in the usa makes the electrical part of the retracts. china mixes the epoxy to the correct recipe then makes the components. rather than aging the components then checking them china just ships them. they call this boat aging. used to give us fits when IBM still actually made stuff.

now all the electronics are made and assembled in china, that means the components are manufactured and put onto a circuit board and brought to specs for that circuit board, then put on the shelf or boat where all their components age and drift. so when the customer gets it, it could require bringing back into spec.. which I would assume nobody outside of china would understand, being that chinas return policy is forget you there is no way to bring circuit boards/electronics back into spec.

the way I assume electric gear work is it looks for some signal to tell it to go up or down. I know that the signal is varied between 130-210 (idk the units) so the retracts are looking for 135 and 205 (for example) to tell it to do something. only some of the components drifted so now its looking for 127 and 197 it will only move one way. exactly what the stated problem was.

I don't have any retracts that exhibit this but do have several speed controls that do. every time I turn on the tx has a conniption because the throttle is set at 105% of travel. I have to return the travel to 100% to get the tx to unlock the ESC, once they hand shake, return the ATV to 105 or the motor will not shut down once I advance the throttle. so it sits on a shelf only to be used in dire circumstances.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:07 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you're dealing with all this Bob. I already had a low opinion of CJM, this just reinforces it
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 PM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I have been asked to show photos of the issues with my retracts with Bruce at Century Jets. I had taken photos of the parts lying on the ground with the Skyraider Brotherhood, but that was removed some how by Bruce or one of his buddies, here at RCUnivers. Since this happened...you will notice that the Skyraider brotherhood post is no longer used on RCUniverse-I wonder why ? My Dell computer went south and purchased an Apple in August of last year, and I was not able to transfer any of my pictures and lost all I had published here on RCUnivers. So I just had to let this be a $430.00 loss and realize that Bruce at C.J. is a company with no integrity and let it go.

I have lost funds with only two companies in the hobby, one Nitro Planes and Bruce at Century Jets. Both companies have no customer service, do not answer their phone, refuse to refund moneys from failed product delivery.

Hay Bruce...may the flies of 1000 camels infest your private parts.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hay Bruce...may the flies of 1000 camels infest your private parts.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
How about the black fly's of Northern Canada instead LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.