Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Dad burn it, some one snagged my idea, and it's a beauty

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dad burn it, some one snagged my idea, and it's a beauty

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 05:43 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Dad burn it, some one snagged my idea, and it's a beauty

yee-up, some one went and did it and it came out rather nice. see the new Model Aviation mag, page 52, 2nd photo at the top of the page.

it's a very nice P-37, you don't see many of those to mile

Jim
Old 04-29-2020, 07:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

When you consider there was only 14 built, one a modified P-36 and 13 P-37s, it's not a surprise that it's a relatively unknown aircraft. Curtis was also working on the now classic P-40, very much the same as the P-37, but without the drawbacks of the P-37. When you really look at it, the same thing happened with the Grumman F4F Wildcat. The original F4F-1 and F4F-2 versions never saw anything but prototypes as they weren't ordered by the Navy. it wasn't until the -3 came around that the Navy actually ordered them. The F4F-1 were both biplanes and were never really presented to the Navy for trials as they were just reworked F3Fs with improvements. The F4F-2 prototype was given to the Navy and was rejected as it was out performed by the F2A Buffalo. Fortunately, for both the US Navy and Marines, as well as the British Fleet Air Arm, the Navy told Grumman to work on it some more and come back. The end result was a plane that could go toe-to-toe with the Japanese Navy's best and have a chance of winning it's share of engagements.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Hydro Junkie, thanks for the reply, thanks for the info too !!
you know I saw a P-37 on the net that had an open cockpit. I think it was used for racing, not sure tho. but I can't find it now to link it.

Jim