RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Phoenix 50cc Spitfire ARF- New???

Reply

Old 08-04-2017, 11:42 AM
  #1  
RICK9303
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (171)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , NY
Posts: 255
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Phoenix 50cc Spitfire ARF- New???

Does anyone have any feed back on Phoenix warbirds? THIs arf at Tower is selling at a great price for it's size and it comes with retracts. Is there a buyer beware attached to these Arf's from Phoenix models? I like the size, but how are they built? Video looks great of plane flying off grass, do they come out heavy and what kind of covering do they use. Any feed back would be helpful.
Thanks Rick
RICK9303 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM
  #2  
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Alma, AR
Posts: 672
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Have one ordered but not much info. Appears to be a bargain but time will tell.
dmyers0403 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 AM
  #3  
Robert Bishop
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brampton, ON, CANADA
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have written this page on my site-The Phoenix Spitfire 50-61cc 1:4 3/4 scale ARF
I have tried to gather all the facts, on this model,in one spot for convenience. Any comments(Positive and negative) would be appreciated!
Robert Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 AM
  #4  
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Talamanca de JaramaMadrid, SPAIN
Posts: 461
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Robert Bishop View Post
I have written this page on my site-The Phoenix Spitfire 50-61cc 1:4 3/4 scale ARF
I have tried to gather all the facts, on this model,in one spot for convenience. Any comments(Positive and negative) would be appreciated!
Mr. Bishop, excellent review!

With such quality work I understand why R/C printed magazines are going down!

Thanks and Best Regards.
jescardin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:04 AM
  #5  
Robert Bishop
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brampton, ON, CANADA
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thank you very much for the kind words!
Robert Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 AM
  #6  
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sun Valley, NV
Posts: 2,391
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by RICK9303 View Post
Does anyone have any feed back on Phoenix warbirds? THIs arf at Tower is selling at a great price for it's size and it comes with retracts. Is there a buyer beware attached to these Arf's from Phoenix models? I like the size, but how are they built? Video looks great of plane flying off grass, do they come out heavy and what kind of covering do they use. Any feed back would be helpful.
Thanks Rick
I've owned several Phoenix models and have not been disappointed with any of them except their instruction manuals. If this one is built like other Phoenix models it will be a bit heavy for its size, but built well, and will fly well.
Desertlakesflying is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 PM
  #7  
Warbird AL
My Feedback: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 125
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hey Robert, awesome review! I enjoy reading reviews on new products whether or not I am in the market but always a warbird fanatic. I am curious about where it says minimum 8 channels required. I see it is a standard 6 channel plane at the least.. then if you add a remote engine kill 7... maybe it should be noted minimum 6 channels with recommended 8?
I am not criticizing I have just noticed that a lot of these larger planes have been saying that. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks again for your review.
Warbird AL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:51 PM
  #8  
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: West Chester, OH
Posts: 6,574
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

FYI,
Tower shows it in stock.
Should be getting my reserved one by next week

Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas/EP ARF 95" | TowerHobbies.com
samparfitt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 AM
  #9  
kenair
My Feedback: (10)
 
kenair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: winnipeg, MB, CANADA
Posts: 854
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by RICK9303 View Post
Does anyone have any feed back on Phoenix warbirds? THIs arf at Tower is selling at a great price for it's size and it comes with retracts. Is there a buyer beware attached to these Arf's from Phoenix models? I like the size, but how are they built? Video looks great of plane flying off grass, do they come out heavy and what kind of covering do they use. Any feed back would be helpful.
Thanks Rick
I would think a 55cc gasser on a 96"ws Spit would be a bit shy on power, I find the YA Spit and the TF Spit do ok on the DLE 55 and those airframes are at around 84" - 86" ws.

The big question is how the supplied retracts hold up, after the first landing will the retract frames or struts be bent and also whether the C of G is accurate in the manual so that the intial flight does not end up in a ball of sticks and covering, and how much lead is required in the nose to balance?

The Phoenix Spit review site is not a flying review, its more an assembly of information from other sources with a bunch on ads thrown in, nice layout but so many ads.

Look forward to see a report from someone who they at least a 1/2 dozen flights on this model. A model this size will not be plug and play but will required tweaking to get it right.
cheers - ken
kenair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM
  #10  
Robert Bishop
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brampton, ON, CANADA
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Warbird AL View Post
Hey Robert, awesome review! I enjoy reading reviews on new products whether or not I am in the market but always a warbird fanatic. I am curious about where it says minimum 8 channels required. I see it is a standard 6 channel plane at the least.. then if you add a remote engine kill 7... maybe it should be noted minimum 6 channels with recommended 8?
I am not criticizing I have just noticed that a lot of these larger planes have been saying that. Any thoughts? Am I missing something? Thanks again for your review.
You are absolutely correct! I have changed the radio requirements to 6 channel min, Thank you!
Robert Bishop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 AM
  #11  
TJC333
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Novi, Michigan
Posts: 52
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by kenair View Post
I would think a 55cc gasser on a 96"ws Spit would be a bit shy on power, I find the YA Spit and the TF Spit do ok on the DLE 55 and those airframes are at around 84" - 86" ws.

The big question is how the supplied retracts hold up, after the first landing will the retract frames or struts be bent and also whether the C of G is accurate in the manual so that the intial flight does not end up in a ball of sticks and covering, and how much lead is required in the nose to balance?

The Phoenix Spit review site is not a flying review, its more an assembly of information from other sources with a bunch on ads thrown in, nice layout but so many ads.

Look forward to see a report from someone who they at least a 1/2 dozen flights on this model. A model this size will not be plug and play but will required tweaking to get it right.
cheers - ken
The Tower add says it will weigh about 25 pounds. Top Flites 85 inch wingspan warbirds usually weigh about 23 pounds using 60 cc engines. This Spit is only 1-2 pounds heavier so my guess is a DA60 will result in a very fast Spit.
TJC333 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM
  #12  
Shaun Evans
 
Shaun Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,131
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yeah,

Whether or not the gear are crap would make a HUGE difference as to the value of this package.
Shaun Evans is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:52 AM
  #13  
TomCrump
 
TomCrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have seen the assembled model. It wasn't ready to fly, however.

From outward appearances, the landing gear looks to be strong enough to withstand the loads that will be placed upon it.

If I were in the market for an ARF Spit, in this size range, I would give this model strong consideration.
TomCrump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:41 AM
  #14  
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: West Chester, OH
Posts: 6,574
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

FYI,
Looks like this batch is sold out. Next due date is late October.
samparfitt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM
  #15  
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: West Chester, OH
Posts: 6,574
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

UPS notice: shipped yesterday, will arrive tomorrow
It's nice to live close to Tower!
90 lbs, that's one big box!
samparfitt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM
  #16  
TomCrump
 
TomCrump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 7,490
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by samparfitt View Post
UPS notice: shipped yesterday, will arrive tomorrow
It's nice to live close to Tower!
90 lbs, that's one big box!
Tower seems to have stepped up their game. I've been getting three day service, too. For awhile, there, it took them three days, after ordering, for them to ship, and then the three day travel time.
TomCrump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 AM
  #17  
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)
 
CaptRKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: KEMAH TEXAS
Posts: 405
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Any updates?

Just placed and order, I have seen 2 fly now and they are good flyers, the quality is much higher than I expected, and of course the price cannot be beat....almost under $600 shipped to my door! I paid more in Retracts and wheels for my H9 Corsair!

Looking for a build thread.....

RKO
CaptRKO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:06 PM
  #18  
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)
 
radfordc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lansing, KS
Posts: 1,571
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Ask and you shall receive....

Spitfire arf 95" phoenix assembly
radfordc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy