RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Servos

Old 09-27-2017, 09:15 PM
flyingpiggy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servos

Hi Guys
Despite the fact that I'm a futaba man at heart, I have no problems with using 3rd party servo such as Hitec.
In recent years there has been an explosion of choice in the servo market. I find myself doubting the reliability of these but logic tells me that they can't all be rubbish.
As scale modellers we put our hearts and soles into our creations and are reluctant to put our models at risk unnecessarily.
Soooo what "new" brands of servos do we trust and what ones should we avoid. Your input please.

Dave
Old 09-28-2017, 06:24 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow. Asking for favorites on this forum is like standing in front of a bull with a red flag. Lots of negativity going to happen.

A word of advice, everyone's experience is different. You best bet is to try a few and see what happens. I, for one, am perfectly happy buying Turnigy from HK and saving a ton of money.

An additional thought, rebranding Chinese parts is rampant in this industry. So is counterfeiting. You spend you money and you take your chances.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 AM
hsukaria

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know if I would call Hitec a 3rd party, they are a huge servo brand. Traditionally, servos have been Hitec's strongest product line.
I have tried off-brand servos with good results. However, there is one particular servo that must have had a bad production batch that is being sold by Tower Hobbies and I experienced 4 failures out of a batch of 8 or so that I bought. Otherwise, I have not had any failure in any other low-price brand servo so far.
But nothing is failure proof unfortunately.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:40 AM
TomCrump

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

While I have JR and Futaba servos, Hitec is my go to brand for servos. I don't consider them 3rd party, either.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:07 AM
Hemikiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec has been around since the early 80's and became a major player after getting out from under the Polk's Hobbies / Aristo-Craft label. Their 645MG/625MG is pretty much the "standard" for warbird and giant sport servos around here.

I've also used Savox and have been very happy.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Calil

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Savox only here
Old 10-03-2017, 12:56 PM
radfordc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Despite the fact that Hitec is a well known and respected name I've had two Hitec servo failures this summer. Both were the lower priced Hitec servos. One just died and the other one went full throw to one end. I have used many Power HD servos, but have also had some fail.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:24 PM
EloyM@twc.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dave. You have already been flooded with "expert" servo advice, so I will spare you mine.
Actually, I am writing because I see you are in ChiChi, a place I have great memories about. I was there for a couple of tours when the "Globies", the Ci24 Globemaster !! was the plane that few down to the ice and the pole itself. I made the trip many times, and was always glad to get back to NZ, its warmer weather and its great hospitality. Shared many a "cuppa" with Kiwi friends, many orders of fish & chips on the banks of the River Avon. I even survived driving a rental "Mini" on the wrong side of the street.
Every trip from the US down included a dealer box of balsa from Sig Mfg, intended for retailers and being a variety of sizes. The local club kept strict control of the contents - a member had to show plans and a list of what he needed before he was allowed to buy the wood, and had to show a completed airplane before he could buy balsa for the next project.
I am also a ham radio operator, and had many friends in that club. My last farewell party with them was probably more dangerous than flying down to the Pole. Eloy Marez.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 PM
ram3500-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like to use JR servos. The 8711 is powerful and reliable with excellent quality metal composition in the gear train. They last a long time and just do not fail in my many years of doing this. I have had a couple 8411s fail over the years. Never in a 'hard over' way. Never lost a plane to a JR servo. I have used nearly every brand out there in over 47 years of doing this, and use Hitec, and Savox on some less expensive planes and in expensive ones on secondary functions, but on the main control surfaces, my first choice is JR high end.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:05 AM
Lifer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've experienced an uncomfortably high failure rate with HiTec servos, particularly with the 485's. Their lower end servos have been a problem as well. I've had only one TowerPro fail, and no problems with GoTeck which a friend imports himself directly from China.

Agreed, the 625's have been flawless and an old Airtronics standard servo which has run reliably since the mid-80's.

Search this Thread