RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Nosen P-51 lives again!!

Old 10-09-2017, 02:22 PM
308jockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nosen P-51 lives again!!

Afternoon everyone,

I just finished the major work on a refurbishing of a Nosen P-51. I got it from the estate of a long time local flier and it was one of the first large scale planes in the area. It needed a lot of TLC and took quite a bit more time and effort than I expected. It had a lot of hangar rash, much of which has been taken care of and things like the wheel well covers still need to be re-installed. It of course needed new batteries and I replaced the World Engine servos, current at the time, with new high torque digitals. Updated it from channel 48 to a current 2.4 system, replaced the ancient fuel tank and fuel lines, rebuilt the Robart retracts. There is still much to do but it is ready for an engine test run and then a couple of test flights. I plan to debut it at our warbird fly in on October 28. I've wanted a large P-51 for a long time. I could have put together a Top Flite ARF which seems to be quite good. It could have been done more quickly though at substantially higher cost. I enjoy projects like this and it seems appropriate to honor an old club member with it.

Rick H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIC_0002.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	2240724  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Warbird AL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice!! can't wait to see more !
Old 10-10-2017, 07:54 PM
308jockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We tried to test run the engine today and got nowhere. I was using a high torque starter that I normally use on 50cc engines and it works with ease but today it would barely turn this engine over. I'm fairly sure I heard the engine laughing at me. I think since it hasn't run in a few years it needs to be loosened up a bit. I wonder also if there was any spark. Time to look over a few things again and see what the problem is. We also decided the tires need some firming up. The weight of this plane is causing them to flatten more than I would have expected. I think a harder tire may be the answer. Back to work.....

Rick H.

Search this Thread