Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Giant Top Flite F6F Hellcat coming soon?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Giant Top Flite F6F Hellcat coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 07:05 AM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Fellows:

For those interested in the ARF version (TOPA0716), looks like (web page) Graves RC in Orlando Florida are showing in stock (one left).
No in store shopping or PU, just on line shopping. 10% off re shipping.

Randy
Old 04-18-2020, 09:13 AM
cgcrc

Hi Fellows:

Just finishing the covering process on the rudder and elevators. I was going to use Solartex or Planetex but had none in my stock.
I had a lot of Koverall ...so Koverall it was....

All went well, once I seal the covering I will then cover the weave with light silkspan. Then a few coats of thinned out nitrate dope and let it sit.
So far I have added 5 grams of weight to the rudder and 6.2 grams to each elevator. (Covering only so far).

Best regards
Randy

Last edited by cgcrc; 04-18-2020 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CAPT John (04-18-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 09:32 AM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MaJ Woody, I see you have added the small front gear doors. Can you post pictures of how you did this. I would like to add some to my Hellcat. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:43 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi.
I was planning to get good pics and post all my mods but I just have not been able to get around to it. I made the doors out of a couple layers of plywood such that the Dubro hinges were flush with the back side of the door and not seen from the front, They were filled and sanded before covering and once covered, are not detectable from the rear either. On the wing,I notched the spar so that the hinge is flush with the spar. This gives the best geometry for the tightest fitting door. I did not take photos of that during construction but you will get the idea from the finished photos.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:32 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Wing fixed!

Finishing up the repair to the wing. Not too bad, only had to reproduce one rib. The rest was just sheeting sanding and blending. I’ll sand the last of the filler and then cover the area with non-matching Monocote, Thanks Great Planes!!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:59 PM
cgcrc

Hi Chris:

Nice repair, glad to see it has worked out and it will be ready for flight again.....

Randy
Old 06-03-2020, 08:41 PM
shahzad haider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Sohm
Has anyone seen or heard anything about a new Hellcat giant scale coming out by Top Flite in the near future?
No
Old 06-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shahzad haider
No

Ha ha, that's funny right there.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Chris Nicastro

Thanks, looked worse than it was. I have to say they did use the cheap plywood typical of ARF’s. This wood just delaminates with very little effort. Just the peek I got to see inside the wing there is very little glue bonding the ribs to the skins and in general just very light application of glue. Not impressed and sad to see TF went so cheap on the last big ARF.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:55 AM
MaJ. Woody

Your repair looks great Chris!
Old 06-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Chris Nicastro

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Your repair looks great Chris!
Thanks, it’s done, had to fix the light too. As it turns out the LED was damaged so I replaced it. I’ve been cycling the batteries to get ready but discovered the tail wheel servo stripped. I put in a new servo and new pull pull cables with springs as a servo saver. Then I noticed the cross brace wing mount was totally loose! I epoxied a couple of blocks in there to strengthen it up some.

For those of you who are flying the Hellcat regularly please check the wing mount in the fuselage! It can come loose because the glue used is poor and so is the plywood and the application.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:35 AM
MaJ. Woody

Agreed on the wing mount. I beefed mine up with CF and goop gussets. Rock solid now.

I have 8 great flights on my Hellcat now and its an amazing flyer. A couple notes:
The plane handles incredibly on the take off roll with barely any corrections needed for a straight run. It lifts off wings level.

But with the drop tank on, the take off roll becomes squirrely and drops a wing on lift off. Maybe I need a longer take off roll with the tank on. In the air and with the tank on, it handles a bit differently. The engine sounds muffled due to the proximity of the exhaust. The tank drops clean and falls straight down and is very easy to put on target.

I dont think the recommended full flap setting is enough. It takes good momentum control in the pattern and a shallow angle on final to keep the speed down. I am going out with the Hellcat again today and may experiment with more flap. My servo installation has plenty of travel for a lot more flap with just some changes from the transmitter.

Other than that, this is a dream to fly. Excellent handling and gobs of power with my engine / prop combo.

Dom

Last edited by MaJ. Woody; 06-09-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:46 AM
MaJ. Woody

Update. I am at the field now and put 4 more flights on so far for a total of 12. I did not change the flap but instead continue to raise the nose to a 3 point attitude just inches off the ground. There is minimum wing rock and the plane remains stable and will touch down very slowly. Just an honest airplane. The maneuverability is amazing. Slow rolls, 4 pt rolls, large loops and I could not believe that inverted flight was hands off and super stable! I love this bird!
The following users liked this post:
Bryan McLarty (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:32 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting comments about flying with the drop tank installed, wonder what is going on there? I did notice that your tank is tucked up pretty tight against the belly pan, much tighter than scale. Maybe that could be causing some airflow issues? On my 64 inch span Hellcat there is no noticeable difference in flight characteristics with or without the tank that I was ever able to discern. Mine does share the same aerobatic capabilities though, with point rolls and slow rolls being my particular favorites. Good luck with your bird and I hope it serves you well for many years to come.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Could it be a little too much lateral surface area ahead of the center of pressure? That could easily reduce the effectiveness of the vertical stabilizer.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:25 PM
Chris Nicastro

This plane likes the headwind down the runway for sure but on a cross wind day you will do well to try and take off with the least angle to the wind as possible. The rudder and tail wheel do not have a lot of authority when there’s a cross wind condition. Depending on your airfield you may opt to take off diagonally or whatever is acceptable at your club. Just gunning it and getting it off the ground is a very bad idea even though the Hellcat is fairly docile, it’s still a warbird. Get the most throw you can out of the rudder and use it when you take off and land and be on top of it!

I could make short approaches and it looked like a carrier approach at times. I’m looking forward to flying it again soon!
Old 06-29-2020, 02:18 PM
Pilot_Tony
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fg60r3

Hey guys,

A little late to the party,but i just got one of these last month. My FG60R3 is at Ray English getting his mods and will be back soon. I was told that the motor is marginal for this bird and will be at 3/4 to full throttle the whole time. Is this the case for those that are using this motor? I'm using the Robart air retracts so it should keep some weight down.

Thanks
Tony in SC
Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 PM
Chris Nicastro

Tony this plane flies fast or rather should be flown fast. It slows down quickly and doesn’t carry its speed so I fly it at higher power settings when cruising around. During maneuvers I use the throttle as needed but in general it’s on the gas most of the time. The Saito 60 R3 is great and it’s a very nice match to this plane for the sound and power. If you want more power and speed then a two stroke like the DLE 55RA would have been a better choice.
I wouldn’t call it marginal power either. It’s better than you might think and the vertical performance is on par with my Corsair with the DLE 61 but faster in level flight. The DLE 55RA again for me is the best choice for many reasons across all of these war birds.

Out of curiosity what is Ray doing to your engine?
I’m wondering because I had him mod an FG84 and it lost performance over a short period of time. The 33, 60, 90 should already incorporate his updates shared from the 84 which I can vouch the 90 is a stump puller stock compared to the 84. I have flown all 4 engines or 5 if you count the stock and mod 84.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:31 PM
Pilot_Tony

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Tony this plane flies fast or rather should be flown fast. It slows down quickly and doesn’t carry its speed so I fly it at higher power settings when cruising around. During maneuvers I use the throttle as needed but in general it’s on the gas most of the time. The Saito 60 R3 is great and it’s a very nice match to this plane for the sound and power. If you want more power and speed then a two stroke like the DLE 55RA would have been a better choice.
I wouldn’t call it marginal power either. It’s better than you might think and the vertical performance is on par with my Corsair with the DLE 61 but faster in level flight. The DLE 55RA again for me is the best choice for many reasons across all of these war birds.

Out of curiosity what is Ray doing to your engine?
I’m wondering because I had him mod an FG84 and it lost performance over a short period of time. The 33, 60, 90 should already incorporate his updates shared from the 84 which I can vouch the 90 is a stump puller stock compared to the 84. I have flown all 4 engines or 5 if you count the stock and mod 84.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply and confirmation of what I fearing. I wanted to put a radial in the Hellcat for obvious reasons. I was told the FG90R3 is too big and the FG60R3 not enough for it. UMS 75cc is the only other choice,but way over budget. I want to stay away from single piston power also. I am now considering the EME 70 twin with electric start. It is 240mm wide and should fit in the cowl without any mods for the plugs.

As for my FG60R3, Ray's mods consist of:

modify the intake system, carburetor and , install new ignition ring, remove and replace front drive hub, reset ignition pick up, reset ignition timing, for improved transition and mid range.

Regards,
Tony
Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 AM
nswords

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the price for those mods?
Old 07-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Pilot_Tony

Default Ray English Saito mods

Originally Posted by nswords
What the price for those mods?
Email Ray: [email protected]
Old 07-07-2020, 05:55 AM
cgcrc

Hi Tony:

Was wondering if you could advise, have you measured and will the UMS 75 cc radial fit within the cowl?
I didn't know if the maximum radius was the Saito FG 60 R3.

The outside muffler ring measurements from both engine dimensions info is very close.

Don't know if the spark plug caps on the UMS are at 90 degrees or angled over the muffler ring.
If angled, of course, it will increase the OD limits.

Best regards
Randy

After further reviewing it looks like the engine spark plug caps are both 90 degree or angled. One way or the other it has the spark plug wire over top of the collector/muffler ring.
Looks like the OD on the UMS is the top of the rockers not the collector ring.

Sooo, could someone advise the max inside dia. of the cowl that we have to work with.
I can get close to "gestimating" with my RTC version, but don't have the cowling ring in place yet and any mods I will be making to the cowl.

Thanks again

Last edited by cgcrc; 07-07-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:29 AM
Pilot_Tony

Originally Posted by cgcrc
Hi Tony:

Was wondering if you could advise, have you measured and will the UMS 75 cc radial fit within the cowl?
I didn't know if the maximum radius was the Saito FG 60 R3.

The outside muffler ring measurements from both engine dimensions info is very close.

Don't know if the spark plug caps on the UMS are at 90 degrees or angled over the muffler ring.
If angled, of course, it will increase the OD limits.

Best regards
Randy
Hey Randy

I am undecided as to try the Saito FG60R3 in the Hellcat after hearing some accounts of those who have. Flying around at 3/4 to full throttle doesn't really appeal to me. The UMS 75 is out of the budget at $2K, unfortunately. I have bought an EME 70cc twin with electric start from Mile High RC and am going to use it. I'll report back and let you know how it fits.

Regards
Tony
Old 07-07-2020, 07:54 AM
cgcrc

Hi Tony:

Thanks for your reply, I look forward to your EME 70cc install report.

Thanks again.

Randy
Old 07-07-2020, 10:24 AM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the EME60 with electric start in my fiberglassed RTC Hellcat. I haven’t had the chance to maiden the plane yet, but I love the electric start and the smooth running EME60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D3F388DA-DA51-4497-8F84-ACA4CF43CCDA.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	2267796   Click image for larger version

Name:	6507262B-B3EC-4EAF-B3A4-A1F8A710C8FA.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	2267797  

Last edited by CAPT John; 07-07-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.