Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 01:38 PM
Jayme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Does anyone know is there is any kit or plans available for the Shinden anywhere? I know a kit is doubtful, but surely there have been plans published somewhere for the WWII Japanese canard-style interceptor. I've done some online searching, but the closest I've found is a PDF article from the mid-80s on a scratch-built project.

I'm just now getting back into RC after being away from it for more than a decade. I'm nowhere near the pilot needed to fly a plane like this (I'm relearning by going through the trainer cycle again) and am not the builder to take it on yet, either. But I suspect hunting one down is going to take a while, so I might as well start casting out my net now. By the time I do get it, hopefully I'll have worked my way up to it. I'm not going into this blind -- I know it'll be several years before I'm ready to even try and fly this one!

I've always been fascinated by this plane, ever since I first saw a photo of it in the old Time-Life WWII series of books. It's just so radically advanced, it captured my imagination. I've seen concept art of the proposed J7W2 jet-powered version, but I think that version loses a lot of the sleek romantic stylings of the original prop version, and don't have much interest in acquiring a jet version. But the original prototype? Oh, yes.

Also, does anyone have any suggetions on what might make a good canard trainer to learn on prior to tackling the Shinden? The Shinden will be hard enough to fly without having to worry about learning the quirks and oddities of canard-style aircraft at the same time.

Thanks for your input and advice!
Old 05-10-2002, 01:55 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default Shinden

Jayme, Go here to find info on shindens
http://www.j-aircraft.com/j7w/
Hope this helps
Evan Q.
ps. Is there a new hobby store on Broadway?
I live in Laredo and I have to go to hobby stores in SA to get stuff
http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/home.html
Old 05-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Jayme, I'm aware of two sets of plans for this airplane but it may be difficult to locate either one. The first was by Bob Thacker and was a .60 size bird. Bob himself admitted that it was a hand full to fly so take that for what it's worth. The other set was by an Italian gentleman, Massimo Zuffi, and was a giant scale airplane at 80+ inches. I have an article on this one in an old Scale RC Modeler but I have no clue as to availability these days. I can get you a copy of the article if you like. I know there has been another giant scale one flying on the East Coast recently but I don't have any other info on that one. Good luck, Chad.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Jayme

Colonel Bob Thacker's plane is the one I was able to download the PDF article on. Very interesting reading, and intimidating as well. His was scratch-built and the first one was utterly destroyed in a test flight crash. But he built another and got most of the bugs worked out and flies it successfully.

I'd love to get a copy of the article with the 80" Shinden. That sounds very interesting, and I'm hoping (maybe naively) that a giant-scale plane would be more stable in flight and avoid some of the problems Thacker encountered.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Jayme

FW90d9, I'm not sure if it's "new" or not since I've only been a resident of the Alamo City for about two months, but my handy Yellow Pages shows a "Jon's Hobby Masters" listed as being on 8134 Broadway, phone number 822-5854. Next week I'll be staying with some friends in Alamo Heights off Broadway, so I'll try and check it out then. Thus far I've only been to Dibble's Hobbies (great models and train kits, plus gaming stuff, but little in the way of RC planes) and the Hobby Center on Fredricksburg, which was chok full of RC stuff. There's still about a dozen hobby centers I haven't yet managed to to investigate yet. Since we won't close on our house until the end of June at the earliest, I'm not in any kind of a rush.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Jayme, email me your snail mail address and I'll get you a copy of the article. I agree with your assesment that a larger model would be the way to go with this bird. I have not read the article in a long time but I think Massimo indicated that his prototype was a good flier. Regards, Chad Veich [email protected]
Old 05-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Chief-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Shinden

Jayme

Go to thread Japanese WWII Warbirds originally posted 3/12/02.

I've been flying a large scale Shinden for about 4 years now. I sold it this weekend at the Joe Nall Fly-In in Greenville,SC.

Details are in this thread.

FYI no extraordinary skills are required to fly a canard. They fly very well and only need a realignment of your eyeballs as to which end goes to the front.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:17 PM
Jayme

Thanks Chief! Looks like I'm not the only one with a jones for Magnificent Lightning!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:30 AM
shindin
My Feedback: (5)

Default Dan's shinden

hey Dan... i wish i knew you were gonna sell yours, i would've bought it myself....
lennys/shindin
Old 10-20-2005, 08:30 PM
cparedes

Default RE: Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Hey friends,
any of you found a set of plans for a Kyushu J7W1?
if you have, please let me know at [email protected]
I live in Guatemala, Central America and sure would like to built one of those warbirds.
Take care
Carlos
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

here>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27129.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	341753  
Old 10-20-2005, 08:50 PM
allanflowers

Sorry, I posted the wrong canard.
Allan
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 AM
cparedes

Hello Allan,
Thanks Anyway. If I canot get hold of a set of plans for the Shinden.. I may just go ahead with the Curtiss XP-55. They are very useful.
If you happen to have something on the Shinden, please let me know
Take Care
Carlos
Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
allanflowers

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...754&PN=1&TPN=1

This is a thread on another newsgroup on the Shinden. There is a lot of discussion and information here. The site (RC Scale Builder) is a good site with very knowledgeable people but sometimes is frustratingly slow.
Allan
Old 10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
cparedes

Allan,
can you send me the plans for the Ascender at
[email protected]
[email protected]
The image I got from your previous messege is a little blurr.
Thanks
Carlos
Old 06-14-2022, 07:38 AM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi guys, I know this thread is been inactive nearly a decade. I am in the process of searching for Shinden J7W1 model documents to build an RC model. I have ordered the Bob Thacker plans from AMA plan services, they received as a donation Bill Northrop collection. I also ordered a set of plans from a guy in E bay for a 73" model. Have not receive the plans yet.
I read that also an Italian gentleman called Zuffi, prepared plans and build a 80+ inch model.

Any update on the acquisition of plans or the article on RCM by Thacker will be very much appreciated.

I love unusual planes and have built various of this models and flown them. As a matter of fact have on my unusual planes collection a ME 163B turbine powered 72" model..Plans by Saitta.

Also a Horten 229 82" model by Gary Gerheart.