Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRCModel FW-190

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:45 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
Looking good there PTDAN; has anyone flown thier's yet?
Mine is fully dialed in and ready to go. Was going to do it tomorrow but my luck. My truck started to act up today, Not sure why? fuel related I think.

Last edited by TimD.; 03-24-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:47 PM
tmaucher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ptdan

I would be enterested to see how you did the sliding canopy
Old 03-25-2018, 09:40 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys, I highly recommend cutting off the bottom of the gear doors. If not cut, they will either get damaged when the struts compress or cause the model to flip over, especially on a grass field. The factory put marks on the doors to use as cut lines. These are scale marks too. Take a look at 3 view drawings to check for yourself. On the full scale aircraft, the door bottoms flipped up out of the way, best I can tell. This is similar to the Beech Stagger-Wing gear door mechanization. My 2 cents. This is a photo from the FW-190 I am putting together for a friend. Good luck. This is a great model.

The following users liked this post:
gixer47 (08-12-2023)
Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 PM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

I've done a bit more research using the Squadron book. It appears some models used a separate inner gear door. Which means the outer gear door did not have the small appendage on the very bottom. But, as to which models were like this and which were not, I cannot make any definite statement. But, at any rate, unless you split the lower half of the door and tied it to the moving strut (somewhat like the Zero), you will likely have some problems on landing, with the door like it came from Top RC.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 AM
ptdan

Default Open canopy

Hi
I Got The idea from my FW sist model, here is The pics

The following users liked this post:
mpharry (11-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 AM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

WOW Tim D looks great; where did you get all the accessories, guns, foot step, etc; it really finishes it off great.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys didn't mount your flap servos to the existing hatch covers did you? Just got my kit, looks awesome... Looks like I need to build up from the top wing skin for strength.... Gonna 3D print costume blocks....
Old 04-01-2018, 06:41 AM
TimD.

Here is where you can get scale detail parts. I used 1/4 scale. I made all of the guns out of 1/4" carbon tube old pushrod material I had lying around. The cowl guns I used the carbon tube and a nylon bushing. drilled the bushing so the tube would go in then using my shop sander to get the angled profile.

https://www.iflytailies.com/store/in...rcraft/fw-190/
Old 04-01-2018, 12:49 PM
DrScoles

I 3D printed the nose machine guns last night. This is with my filament printer, I will print with SLA and they'll be much cleaner. 15 micron accuracy with the SLA. Also have the antenna mount for the canopy... Gonna make the revi gun sight so that it will just glue on top of the existing hood.

Last edited by DrScoles; 04-01-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: photo
Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM
maddog-RCU

Has anyone flown their FW yet?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:20 PM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fellow club member here in Washington state has flown his. Power is the EME 70 with auto start. Sierra retracts.
He reports that it's and excellent stable airplane and land easily.
As for mine, I'm still trying to get rid of a nasty cold. I'm flying mine next week even if they have to get me there by an ambulance.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:56 AM
JFandL

Originally Posted by BigRetracts-RCU
We are actually using our 1/4 Scale FW-190 Retracts for this plane.
They used really long struts just like the Full Scale.
We made a slight Modification to the side plates to make them fit the plane better.
We are starting to ship them this afternoon
Better get your orders in now while we still have a few in stock.

Darrell Tenny
Sierra Giant Scale
Got my set Darrell, all I can say is wow and thank you very much for a real outstanding set of retracts. lol, now just in wait for the scale wheels to show up.

John
Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 AM
TimD.

Ok, so finally made it out today with mine . My setup : TopRc gear and Hitec 5645 all around Saito Fa90 Radial Biela 22x12-3blade turning 5300rpm's Weight wet 34lbs.
I opted to not use the Moki 180 and go with the FA90 instead. I have another Zero I will use it on soon. !! I'm a BIG Zero fan !! Love the one I have.

Got out to the field, set up and started to taxi out. Noticed the tail wheel did not want to cooperate. Went back to the pit checked out the problem and I found the tail wheel did not have a flat spot on it at the tiller arm. Not a big problem. I should have checked that earlier during assembly. One of my buddies had a dremel and disc/wheel "problem fixed". Taxi'd back out and powerd it up. The Plane tracked straight and ture even with the long gear. The plane flew to me the same as the Zero. Very stable and predictable. Nice presence in the air and BIG. Easy for me to see, that's good these days. I felt instantly comfortable with no crazy tendencies or habits. I flew for about five min. and I started getting engine over-temp warnings so I landed. At that point my brain just kicked in and landed it, instead of over thinking my final and approach. Amazing what can take the jitters away. Touched down at about 15mph with a 10mph headwind. Actually looked professional.

Upon landing I noticed the tail wheel spinning in circles again so I used quick blasts from the propwash to orientate the plane to the direction I wanted. In the pits after inspection again, the tail wheel tiller arm is made out of a metal that is too soft. The allen bolt's spun the material out (stripped).

CHECK your gear when assembling ! Loctite as needed and put a flat spot on the tail wheel.

All said "
ITS A WINNER"
Old 04-14-2018, 09:34 AM
maddog-RCU

Congrats on your maiden Tim; now all we need is some videos of these birds.
How did you like the Saito radial; I have been kicking around the idea of getting one for mine instead of the GT-80 I had planned on using; that is of course when the Saitos are available again.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:09 PM
jamessymons

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Tim

Congratulations on the maiden. Please could you post a picture of the Saito FG installation ?

Kind Regards

James
Old 04-15-2018, 05:41 AM
TimD.

Originally Posted by maddog-RCU
How did you like the Saito radial; I have been kicking around the idea of getting one for mine instead of the GT-80 I had planned on using; that is of course when the Saitos are available again.
The past few years I have been running the Evo 7-77's on this size bird with GREAT success! The Saito is a powerhouse. Strong and responsive, I like it and would say go for it versus the GT80. I have run nothing but Zenoahs in my Warbirds for 25yrs (true work horse) except for these radials.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Dave, Roberto and I should have our kits next week. Looking forward to seeing yours fly with the big block! I'm still leaning towards a Moki....
AND........

lol, hey Mike, hope your doing well
Old 04-21-2018, 02:48 PM
DrScoles

Hey Chris, How goes the Mustang? Did you finish it?

This wulf is a very nice ARF... hoping to have it done before summer.

Reverend, did you get my PM? Love to get a few of the fans from you.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Chris, How goes the Mustang? Did you finish it?

This wulf is a very nice ARF... hoping to have it done before summer.

Reverend, did you get my PM? Love to get a few of the fans from you.
Still working on it, mostly done now. Lots of work as you know!
Im curious how this FW goes, hope you post a video when you get there.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM
LtMash1A

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I 3D printed the nose machine guns last night. This is with my filament printer, I will print with SLA and they'll be much cleaner. 15 micron accuracy with the SLA. Also have the antenna mount for the canopy... Gonna make the revi gun sight so that it will just glue on top of the existing hood.
Can we buy these from you??
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 AM
LtMash1A

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What air tank or tanks, did you use with the Sierra Gear??
Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Just got the wheels to fit my Sierra retracts today and got the engine ordered yesterday ....gonna be fun 😃
Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 AM
DrScoles

Originally Posted by LBJ
Hi Guys, I highly recommend cutting off the bottom of the gear doors. If not cut, they will either get damaged when the struts compress or cause the model to flip over, especially on a grass field. The factory put marks on the doors to use as cut lines. These are scale marks too. Take a look at 3 view drawings to check for yourself. On the full scale aircraft, the door bottoms flipped up out of the way, best I can tell. This is similar to the Beech Stagger-Wing gear door mechanization. My 2 cents. This is a photo from the FW-190 I am putting together for a friend. Good luck. This is a great model.

They didn't flip out of the way like on the beech, the bottom portion slid along the outside of it. I agree with LBJ, if you don't make a fix, it will rip the gear doors off. here is a pic of the full scale, you can see the slide marks on the upper part of the door. I have cut mine, made a block for the bottom piece to hold onto and will thin out the detailed part of the upper door on the inside so the bottom piece can slide inside of it when the gear struts scissor. I also included a pic of where I cut it on mine.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM
DrScoles

A few other observations that may help others. Don't put masking tape near the decals! Using low stick masking tape, still pulled them up...

I saw that Dave (wingspar) had to do some surgery to get the Sierra tail wheel in, I think Darrell may have changed it??? Mine was easy. Just had to prop up the top attachment on about 3/8ths of ply. It was a pain to run those cables once the tailwheel is mounted! Main gear went in easy as well with a little kit that he sells with it. Way to go Darrell!

I made spacers to get the prop on the EME 70 about 3/16ths off the edge of the cowl. I just completely spaced the distance, if you need it, I can measure... I think it was 46mm.

My machine guns turned out well. :-).

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM
warbirdfan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n8622t

Just got the wheels to fit my Sierra retracts today and got the engine ordered yesterday ....gonna be fun 😃
Is this a new motor from UMS? Can't seem to find much info on it. Looks like it would be a perfect power plant for this and the corsair that TopRC is working on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.