Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

Hi guys... I got my ESM Stuka B model from Tomas a short while back, and it looks good! After looking around a bit, I am amazed that there are so many Stuka models available right now! It's crazy. Stukas, Stukas everywhere... and not a tank to drop!
So now I'm working on a fully functional, retractable displacement gear for the belly bomb, as well as a wing drop system for this model. I will be doing a slight conversion on my bird to the JU 87R-2, which is basically a B model with wing tanks. No repaint will be done. The supplied bomb is too big (I assume it represents a 500kg bomb) for the R-2, but no big deal really. Ordnance for this plane will include a new "exploding" scale belly bomb in 2 sizes, 50kg bombs and 300L tanks for the wings. 5 pylons total! I will be posting progress here from time to time as I work through the project.

I am a little worried about weight however... can anyone chime in on how this bird handles a bit of extra weight? I am also planning a 33cc gas engine, and this also contributes to the concern on weight. Also, does anyone know if the displacement gear (trapeze) on the full size JU 87 B remained down after dropping the bomb, or did it come back up? I hear that this part breaks often on model Stukas if it is left hanging. Any input that may help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

Default RE: ESM STUKA B to R-2 CONVERSION

I am very interested in how you like the quality of the ESM stuka. I would love to hear your coments both the positive and the negatives if there are any. A 32 CC engine would be my choice as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 AM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

Hi guys... I got my ESM Stuka B model from Tomas a short while back, and it looks good! After looking around a bit, I am amazed that there are so many Stuka models available right now! It's crazy. Stukas, Stukas everywhere... and not a tank to drop!
So now I'm working on a fully functional, retractable displacement gear for the belly bomb, as well as a wing drop system for this model. I will be doing a slight conversion on my bird to the JU 87R-2, which is basically a B model with wing tanks. No repaint will be done. The supplied bomb is too big (I assume it represents a 500kg bomb) for the R-2, but no big deal really. Ordnance for this plane will include a new ''exploding'' scale belly bomb in 2 sizes, 50kg bombs and 300L tanks for the wings. 5 pylons total! I will be posting progress here from time to time as I work through the project.

I am a little worried about weight however... can anyone chime in on how this bird handles a bit of extra weight? I am also planning a 33cc gas engine, and this also contributes to the concern on weight. Also, does anyone know if the displacement gear on the full size JU 87 B remained down after dropping the bomb, or did it come back up? I hear that this part breaks often on model Stukas if it is left hanging. Any input that may help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich
From what I remember, the R2 was an Italian Stuka renamed pichatello or pichatelli something like that, that had Italian markings and emblems painted right over the Luffwaffe markings. There were like 30 to 40 Italian pilots that went to Austria for extensive Stuka pilot training. I dont know for sure if the Stukas had any modifications, just the name and marking changes.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Firepower R/C

The Italian R-2s are an interesting option to consider... thanks for pointing that out! There were at least a few R-2s in German service as well. The main differences in the R-2 over the B model from what I researched were an increased internal fuel capacity, as well as the ability to carry the 300L tanks on the wings. This doubled the effective range, making it more effective at targeting shipping. Something else interesting that I read about was modifications performed to make the airplane float longer if it ditched at sea... up to 3 days in calm seas from what I remember.

I also had an idea about that Wolo siren... a gentleman named kwik here on RCU installed this siren into his KMP Stuka, and it is very cool. Nice work, kwik! Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qK5gbvCXI I want to use his idea, but I would like to use an ESC (might have to install a different motor) in conjunction with the rate control feature of my Hitec Aurora TX to control the spooling up & down of the siren. I am hoping that I can reverse the channel controlling the siren (ESC) and mix it to the throttle stick, while using a switch to arm the mix. Hopefully, that will evenly spool up the siren as I throttle down & roll over into the dive to deploy the bomb, and then back down as I add in throttle after the pullout. It just might make that siren sound a little better. Any thoughts?

Here is a pic of the stuka I would like to model, roughly:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55585.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1592231  
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
tunakuts3d

By displacement mechanism, I take it you're refering to the bomb "trapeze" that would swing down to allow the bomb to be released clear of the propeller arc? Looking at some drawings on the Luftwaffe archives site it would appear to me that the trapeze had a spring loaded mechanism that pulled the trapeze back up after the bomb fell clear of the trapeze. http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/arc...ffenanlage.pdf the drawings I refer to are toward the last few pages, so you must scroll thru the handbook.
Paul
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Firepower R/C

Yes, it is the "trapeze". Those diagrams are very useful... thank you for bringing them to my attention. I think I've got this thing all figured out now, so when I get home I'll add a few bits to the trapeze I already have and see how it works. I have seen about 4 different trapeze configurations so far... I suspect a few of these Stukas in museums may have "dummy" trapezes due to a lack of the real thing (see pic). The one pictured below looks a little too simple.

Thanks again!

Name:	Xv63173.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1592461  
Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
tunakuts3d

As far as I know ther were only two versions of the trapeze.The one in that link I posted is the earlier "B"style the later version was used on the "D" models. There are some pretty good photos here of the later "D" version here http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/arc...%20D5%20Bo.pdf
The later version is a lot simpler and cleaner looking , the one in the photo you posted is wrong for that model "D3" stuka.
Paul
Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Firepower R/C

That is kind of what I figured... it didn't match any other materials I could find! I may have to do both versions... who knows! Thanks again for your expertise on the matter.

Rich
Old 04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Firepower R/C

Well, work continues on the trapeze. I built a mock-up to do some more testing, and I think now I will make the trapeze spring to the down position. It will then retract with a scale-ish twin cable system to latch in the stowed position. Those Stuka manuals sure helped!!! Thanks again. I will post pics soon.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Firepower R/C

Mock-up trapeze is working well... during a simulated near-vertical drop, the bomb rides the trapeze until it is about 80-90 degrees to the wing, then it drops off. PERFECT! Now to build one on the plane. I am also going to make the trapeze removable with a break-away feature in case it gets snagged on something, or bumped during handling. Here is the mock-up:

Name:	Zx70824.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1593665  
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Looks great! What kind of material did you use to construct the trapeze?
Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Firepower R/C

This mock-up is made from aluminum, brass, and wood. When I am satisfied with the design as a whole, I will cast the trapeze out of resin.

Name:	Qn38495.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1593783  
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Black Drape

Hey Guys

I don't want to change the subject, but I would like to ask a question of you Stuka guys. I have come across an OS 160 Fx at a very reasonable price and was wondering if this would be a good engine for the Stuka? I will probably start putting mine together next week.

Firepower if you decide to mold the trapeese, I wouild like one.

Thanks
Ron
Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Ed

Excellent engine ! I don't know if it's an adequate size for this size aircraft, but it's an excellent engine.

ed
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Firepower R/C

I would like to think that an O.S. 1.60 FX would be enough for this plane, considering that ESM calls for a 1.20 four stroke. I was planning to install a Homelite 33cc chainsaw conversion into my Stuka, but now you guys got me thinking... I have an ASP 1.08 and a JBA 1.20 2 stroke looking for homes, too. Has anyone else put a glow 2 stroke into this aircraft? I would love to hear how it turned out. They would surely fit the cowl better. QUICK! SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF IT! I know that they are goopy, but I sure do love the smell of a glow engine running... it always takes me back to my younger R/C glory days
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 AM
irocbsa

I personally love 2 stroke glow engines. In fact, if I could do it all over again I would use a 1.60 FX on my plane. Running a gasser on these planes is a huge pain in the ass. The exhaust fabrication alone will make you pull your hair out. A 1.60 FX will be a great engine for this Stuka, go for it!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Firepower R/C

Black Drape, I will definitely be making some available... probably through VQ Warbirds.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

I personally love 2 stroke glow engines. In fact, if I could do it all over again I would use a 1.60 FX on my plane. Running a gasser on these planes is a huge pain in the ass. The exhaust fabrication alone will make you pull your hair out. A 1.60 FX will be a great engine for this Stuka, go for it!
oh 2-stroke gas engines arn't that bad ... plus I use cherry scent for a very pleasent smell. no longer smells like fuel,
just cherries!

http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.ne...?productID=145
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
irocbsa

If only they made the same power as a glow engine! I haven't been very happy with the gassers I have. They are definitely cheap to run, but they are a pain to install in cramped cowls. They also introduce levels of complexity that aren't there with a two stroke glow (ignition boxes, extra wiring, choke linkage, etc). To each his own I suppose, but I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy that they use a gasser in the ESM Stuka.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Firepower R/C

irocbsa, tell me more about your muffler/ exhaust drama...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
alanc

LOVE your trapeze bomb relaease, but all this talk of engines of massive sizes, my out of the box standard kit is flying very very well with an OS108 BX up front, with a pitts style muffler, home made, it ambles along at half throttle, looks scale, and is a nice combnation, if you perfect your bomb and release, i will have one off you if the price is right, you will have to ship either to cape coral florida, or send it to me direct in the UK, could you do this???
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Firepower R/C

alanc,

I will ship to UK! I am working on the trapeze right now, may have some good pics later tonight! I am now very tempted to go with a glow engine, but I worry about the stock fuel tank position. It seems too far back. Did you move your tank forward?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 PM
irocbsa

If you want to maintain a scale appearance, you're going to run into huge issues with mounting a gasser on these planes. The cowl is much tighter than it initially appears. It is especially tight on the lower front end under the exhaust stacks which happens to be where a rear carb gasser's muffler resides. Of course, a rear or front carb configuration is the only one that will fit. Unless you want to hack the cowl to pieces, a side carb engine is not an option. I tried three different aftermarket mufflers, all of which would require cutting off half of the cowl up to the exhaust stacks to fit them. The closest I got "out of the box" was the Keleo "in cowl" muffler for the ESP P-51 that VQ Warbirds sells. I ended up sticking with that one and significantly modifying it to fit in the Stuka cowl. The modifications resulted in a significant muffler volume reduction that might result in decreased power output. I'll be taking some of that data this summer.

So, fitting a muffler inside the cowl essentially requires a scratch built, custom made muffler unless you want to pay $80 for a Keleo and then hack it to pieces to make it fit the Stuka's cowl. Of course, making a custom muffler requires aluminum welding skills. I'm lucky in that I have a friend who has those skills so modifying the Keleo didn't cost me more than a six pack of beer. If you have to pay for it though, you're looking at $150 at least in labor to either modify the Keleo or scratch build one from aluminum stock. None of those are good options. IMHO, buy a two or four stroke glow for this plane. Leave the gassers for planes with bigger cowls.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 PM
alanc

i used a dubro 12oz tank, i didnt pay too much attention to where it fitted, i just shoved it down as far as it would go, used thick wall tubing, used three lines, pressure, fill and feed, had no problems, the OS would suck fuel from the moon, great engines, shame you are not ready to ship yet, i am in florida from the 27th april, to the 11th may annual vacation, and making sure our relatives are behaving themselves in cape coral
Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Neo gold

I have a ESM Ju87d..& it used to run  a glow 4s 120, now there's a DLE20CC snug inside with NO cowl hacking...i'm just waiting for my exhaust from J-tec...should be here very shortly!!..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.