Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need input on batts and servos for TF giant P-47

RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need input on batts and servos for TF giant P-47

Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 AM
gregandhollie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need input on batts and servos for TF giant P-47

I'm putting together my first giant scale plane, a Top Flite P-47. I've flown Futaba almost exclusively for almost 20 years and am leaning toward 3305 servos as recommended in the manual. I haven't ruled out Hitec (645MG?) though, but I don't have any experience with them. My receiver will be a Futaba R617fs.
Officially Futaba recommended the 3305 servos for use only with Nicad, but I see that was because early Nimh batteries couldn't deal with the current draw well.
Top Flite recommends a minimum of 1000 mah on Nicad.
I contacted Futaba to see if they could recommend something specific for a Nimh or Lipo size and they just said to not let it fall under 6v.
I plan to run two batteries, two switches into two separate inputs on my receiver. I was looking at two 1400 mah 6v Nicads:
https://www.maxxpacks.com/product_in...aj12e3aip65pe7

...but the company returned my email and recommended either of these batteries:

I've done quite a bit of reading on this and some digging in old P-47 threads, but I'd love to hear what servo and battery setups have been successful in this plane specifically or similar setups.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What engine are you using? Do you have enough channels with that receiver? For quality batteries look into NoBs batteries. Dan.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will love the Giant TF P-47, I had one of them and flew it for 4 years until it fell apart after I skipped it off the ground in a low pass.

I started with HITEC 645s running on NiMh (2 X 1500 mAh packs). The 645s hung in there for about two years, then the pots wore out and they would not hold center and started jumping around. I replaced them with HITEC 5645s (digital version of the 645) and those were working fine right up to ground impact 2 years later. I also switched the batteries to LiFe 6.6v 3200 mAh (overkill in terms of capacity, but I fly a lot).

I quit using HITEC for no particular reason a few years ago and now I use MKS servos. For your application, use MKS DS1210 servos if you want to stick in the HITEC 5645 price range (around $35 each). If it were me, I'd use MKS DS1230 or 1220 servos ($79) on the flight controls, they are much more powerful, precise and they are designed for 6.6v applications. A-Main, Chief and MKSUSA all carry MKS. Again, I fly a lot, which is why I would choose the more expensive servo option. There is nothing wrong with the less expensive servos I've mentioned.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:46 PM
gregandhollie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, guys!
The engine will be an EME 60 with it's ignition on a separate battery.
Thanks for both of your suggestions. Hopefully someone will also chime in on the 3305 servos. The Hitec's are pretty enticing right now because they're available and I'm itching to get this thing in the air this fall.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are the reviews from the s3305 at the Tower website. Dan

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDWF8&P=7
Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Chris Nicastro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Go with the 5645ís, been on my GS Corsair for years with zero problems and still going strong. Great servos for the price.
I use 2S 2700mah Thunder Power packs, one for Rx and one for ignition. The Rx is a Spektrum 12 channel. I use a JR voltage regulator I had in my cache of gear to regulate the voltage to 6V.
In the past Iíve used LiFe packs too. Either type works just fine and the reliability is solid.
Keep the capacity at or above 2100 to 3500 and you will get three to four solid 8 minute flights before recharging. Iíve seen 300-400mah use for the ignition pack and around 1200mah for the Rx pack.

All the flight surfaces are small and donít require super high torque or high speed so solid reliable servos are all thatís needed.

Forgot to add that the Hitec customer service is top notch. If you have an issue they are fast and very generous with repairs and replacements. So for my money, confidence and past experience I use Hitec servos even on larger very expensive projects.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 08-07-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:00 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been flying my kit TF giant 47 since 2003 with 70 oz servos on the elevators, 615 (old) on the ailerons, and std airtronics servos (42 oz/) on flaps, rudder and motor . Engine is a g-62 running a 21X10 prop with speeds clocked at 108mph. Well over 100 flights. I did have one aileron servo go bad, replaced it with a 42 oz std servo at the event and flew with no problems. My conclusion is that the recommended servo strength for warbirds is a throw back to the original IMMA recommendations in the late 80's early 90's when no one knew what they were doing and everything was overkill. I always thought that if I could fly a pattern plane like a Banshee with an elevator as big as one half of the 47's on std servos at speeds approaching 100 mph with no problems then why should I not be able to use std servos in a plane like the 47? A well engineered plane with tight surfaces should not require brute force servos. Some think because a plane is heavy it takes more force to move the surfaces in the air, not true. That same plane flew for many years on 72mhz with a 4.8v 700 mah nicad pack. Now on 2.4 I use a 2000 mah 6v nihm pack.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2 LiFe 2200 packs to the receiver with a TechAero IBEC to power and radio kill the ignition