Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMPro 71" Fw-190 kitbash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMPro 71" Fw-190 kitbash

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CMPro 71" Fw-190 kitbash

Hey everyone,

I thought i'd start a thread on my kitbashing of the CMPro Fw-190. Now i know that many people like this ARF, but i cannot stand the paint scheme and the shape as many issues. I know it's meant to be based on the WAR FW-190 but i'm sure that aircraft was based of the real Fw-190 so i hope to bring it back to were it looks a little closer to the real thing.

Firstly i have flown the fw-190 a few times and i have to say it flew really nicely, with the landing speed being very low. I used the model to break in an O.S. 1.20 FS pumper, but found her to be a little underpowered, and i'm sure the fixed gear and the 800grams of lead up front didn't help either.

I started the kitbash by removing the canopy and making a plaster of paris copy. the canopy is one of the first things i noticed that is wrong and it's relativily easily fixed. this is off getting a test pull done so i'll post pic's when it gets back. while the plaster was drying i scanned some 3-veiws drawings. I used the Kagero series of books on the Fw-190. There are 4 volumes and i have to say they are some of the best study of an aircraft books i have come across. I then took some pic's of the fw and when i put the three veiws over the top of the pic's the shape issues became all the more apparent.......

thanks

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52446.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	686696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80929.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	686697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45435.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	686698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72832.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	686699  
Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 AM
ticketec

Default RE: CMPro 71" Fw-190 kitbash

As you can see from the two picures below there are plenty of areas which require adjustment, but i have to say i was pretty disappointed when i saw how undersized the wing was in relation to the fuse. After thinking about it, the only real way to deal with this would be to build a new wing. this is beyond what i wanted to do with this kit so i will stick with the kit's foam core job.

where i plan to change is the flaps on the wing to the correct split flaps, correct the wingtip shape, and also correct the aileron shape.

I have been working with Lenny at shindin retracts to make a set of "drop-in" retracts for this model and they should be ready in the next few weeks.

for the fuse, i plan to increase the tail area, and build a new rudder, a new canopy, work on the gun blisters forward of the canopy, and if i get really excited, also reduce the size of the blisters on the cowl. The hozi stab will also get a little attention, to reduce it's size to a more scale size.

firstly i removed all the gear out of the model and stripped the covering off the wings and hori stab. came off too easy. then i sanded the paint off the fuse. REAL HARD work!!!!! i couldn't believe how hard is was.... should have used paint stripper

thanks

dave

Name:	Ki20622.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	686710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59531.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	686711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90550.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	686712  
Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck ticketec, im sure it wil look great when finished. It actually looks heaps better in you pics than any thing ive seen advertised just as it is.
I was reading along and I thought I recognised that Mustang.

Brad
Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

The hozi stab will also get a little attention, to reduce it's size to a more scale size.

That big oversized horizontal stab is one of the main reasons these CMP's fly so nicely and slow down for landings.
I too wanted to start bashing mine during and after the build because of the typical non-scale FW190-A series flaws. But I could see that I was heading into that never ending search for the "LOOK" that can never be from this plane. Don't get me wrong,,, I admire anyone who strives for more realistic scale features on an ARF. And what your doing is wonderful. If you can mold some extra parts I might be interested as would others i bet. This is a cheap plane mean't for flying. It will never be a scale contest contender.
When I open RCU from my favorites list this week and see my CMP FW190 photo on the opening page I should be proud of my work and my paint scheme, etc. But instead I just think about the kit and scratch built Wurgers I see the master builders doing. Such as Ali's new 190 and the others running the big radial engines with the scale struts , flaps, blisters and oil coolers. I even see some with working cowl flaps. Others are detailed right down to the Revi gunsights. I'd be scared to death to ever fly the thing after that much labor. The saito 150 flys this plane smartly and the rx battery and onboard glow plus 7oz makes the balance perfect. This is a great plane to put a 25 to 40cc gasser in.

Again,,, I'm not being a sad sack party pooper here. I'm just saying that after all the research is done,,, your looking at making molds for everything if you want true scale. Why not just build one from scratch? Probably the same reasons I don't tackle that job.
Keep up the good work and I'll be following along as you post.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:01 PM
ticketec

Hey Sturtz,

No, you are absolutely 100% correct. I would end up with a more accurate FW if i was to build a mister or something like that, but i guess i just want to make her look that little bit more like a Fw-190, without the effort of a full build. i'm only goning to attack the "easy" shape issues. I think that at the end of the day if i can make her look better and still maintain those easy flyig capabilities then it will be a good everyday hack a/c.

Acutally i thought i would be able to get a fairly respectable Fw till i realised how undersized the wing is.... well if nothing else, a new canopy and a paint job will transform her enough to fly around till i build a proper Fw... Sist FW ummmm yeah, just need those deeper pockets

thanks

dave

P.S i kinda don't like those airworld Fw's AKA: ali's.. they have some pretty noticable shape problems too, if only those big radials didn't look and sound so good.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Sturtz

Dave,,,, thanks for understanding me mate.
As some of us know and others don't want to even consider. .... These cheapo A8's ? really fly sweet and land like a trainer. My only problem is the foam core wing which recently I found out was the same with everyone who owns this kite. I was led to believe they had a built up wood wing version in the true CMP/GSP model which was a lie. So I rekon everyone has the same troubles as me. With all the mods I've done to the rail/spar area I can actually run my 74.degree Springair's with the heavier built RobinAire struts off my paved runway. I'd be afraid to try grass with this foam crap but but the weekend ain't over yet if ya know what I mean.

Please,,,,, keep up the good fabrications on this project and if you can make time to duplicate a mold or two. I'm a roo for 1 or 2 scale parts brother.

P.S. I've always wanted to visit Aussie Land !![8D] Any good deals on flights ?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 AM
ticketec

Hey sturtz,

I our club only has grass runways as do most clubs in australia that i have been too....

I did reinforce the landing gear area with 1/4" dowl, but i won't play with the mounts till i get the retracts from lenny. Foam core wings are ok, you just have to make sure you spread the loads out further than in a built up wing that all. Having said that, the polystyrene used in this wing is some of the lowest density i have ever seen[:'(], which doesn't help the cause.

Haven't done a whole heap because i'm still putting the finishing touches to my Mustang, but i did finish sanding the fuse and cowl, and have started gluing polystyrene foam to the fin/spine area to see if i will get away with enlarging that area.

thanks

dave

p.s. i do get good discounts on flights but can't pass the on, sorry

Name:	Yw67441.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	688699  
Old 05-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Sturtz

Your right about foam core wings. I guess it's just the idea of foam that seems weak.
This is a good thread you got going here so keep it up Dave. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Update: Flew at a Warbird Fly-in sat and took a few pics of the scratch built FW190-A6 sitting next to me in the pits. Glad I didn't take my 190. Would have had to look over at this sweet wurger the whole time. lol

Name:	Wu62076.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	688718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88712.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	688719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91161.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	688720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21822.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	688721  
Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

Ticketec,

I followed your P-51 build and enjoyed it very much. Good luck with the 190. I'm sure you've seen the following site, but if you haven't, its a must see for a 190 build:

http://www.tompierce.net/190/index.htm

Tim
Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 AM
ticketec

Hey Sturtz,

Is that butcher bird an IMP kit? the 1/5 scale gun kit in the nose of it looks familiar.... real nice looking, done a great job with it.

Hey oosiksmith,

Thanks mate, i did enjoy build the 'stang, but the final equipment installation is becoming tedious. waiting on some bits and pieces to arrive to finish it all off, then i can concentrate on the Fw more. I have seen Tom pierce's FW and it is an incredible looking model. I will be taking his lead and using WBPU and glass instead of resin to see how it works for me.... I would love to go to the level of detail that he did, but a not sure i have the patience, and b: not sure it's worth the trouble on this one.[]

The reshaping of the hori stab is complete, and don't worry sturtz i only really rounded the ends and removed 1/8" off the trailing edge of the elevators, and i built in the aerodynamic balance tabs on the ends of the elevators.

I have also rough shaped the foam added to the verti stab. a little more shaping and then i'll glass it once i'm happy.

Thanks

Dave

Name:	Ig13811.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	690497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63937.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	690498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40452.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	690499  
Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Sturtz

Dave,,, looking good !!! Are you planning to recess the vert stab at the top for the upper rudder tab ? This was another scale touch I never understood why they didn't do while drawing up the plans.
Keep up the good work,,,looking forward to your next post.

Name:	Lj22709.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	690524  
Old 05-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Jagdfleiger

Hey Dave.
Nice work. Can't wait to see how this thing turns out. I too am a charter member of "ARF Bashers Anonymous". Got an old (Czech)Dora 9 model in a swap meet. Plane was already built and painted quite nicely. Lines are pretty close to scale. But there it ended. I am totally redoing the wing - scale flaps, ailerons, retracts, the works. Taken alot of time, but I am now finishing up on the wing with 100% scale aileron actuation (topside of wing) and no external push rods. If you are interested in any of the details on how I went about it, be glad to share info - FYI my Dora wing is foam core as well. Other ARF Bash subjects in the queue include - MC. 200 and CMP 71" Zeke.

Keep up the good work. FYI, the thing that really turned me off about the CMP 190 were the blisters on the cowl. Getting rid of those will go along way to making it look more scale.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am Arf bashing a CMP hellcat and am nearly done. I have a Modeltech p-47 that is next on my list. I really enjoy bashing rather than building from scratch. I will be watching this thread with interest.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you should check out my basshing of thi ssame olane...go to nitroplanes fw-190 build to see the thread.
Say, Who makes that P-51B that you have in that photo ?

Tell me all about it, the size looks comperable to a 1.20fs..Also where could I find one ?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:53 AM
ticketec

Hey Kurt,

Yeah, I will glass it all the way back to the rudder hinge line and then cut back the rudders balance tab. I have to really start building the rudder cos it would make the shaping of the foam a little easier.. Talking of things they should have done right from the start would be the correctly sized fin/rudder and as jagdfleiger started the over sized cowl blisters. both very noticeable and both time consuming to fix.

Jaddfleiger, Yeah mate, go ahead and post the pics of your control setup. after all that these threads are all about and how we learn everyone elses tricks

Hey Gnirwin, I have been checking out the CMP Hellcat thread every once in a while and some of the guy's there have done superb job of the F6F's. Almost made me go out and buy one. seems like apart from the too long a wing, they got the scale outline pretty right with the Hellcat.... how come the cocked up the Fw-190 so bad [:@]

thanks

dave
Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 AM
ticketec

Hey NoFlaps

I have posted on your thread a fair few times already, but it was getting pretty long and busy so i thought i'd start my own

As for the P-51B, well you asked for it.

It's a Top Flite 1/7 P-51D gold edition kit with the "B" conversion kit. I acutally bought the Fw-190 to run in the O.S. 1.20 fs before i installed it into the mustang. She have a fair few modifications such as full depth cockpit, working inner and outer gear doors, "B" style gun ports, panel lines and duz fastners, etc... equipment list is a follows:

O.S. 1.20 FS pumper
Hi-tec Hs-85MG's on each aileron and flap (4 total)
Hi-tec 425BB for the rest (6 total)
Dual 4.8V 100mah Ni-Cd's on independant switches
Robart retracts, oleos, and dimond tread wheels
jomar gear door sequencer
working inner main gear doors
robart retractable tail wheel
Getstencils.com stencils for all markings
Tony Howard resin exhausts
Blue box "Doc Miller" pilot

One thing this kit taught me was to love Fibreglass fuses and foam core wings. they save so much building time!

Thanks

Dave

Name:	Zx72137.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	691037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15650.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	691038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48635.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	691039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71671.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	691040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24805.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	691041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp95413.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	691042  
Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 AM
NoFlaps

WoW!
that is absoloutely awesome!!!!

Great work!!
If you ever consider selling it...let me know!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:49 AM
ticketec

Thanks mate!!!!!

But i reckon the shipping costs to the US would kill you

thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 03:24 PM
NoFlaps

True-true! []

Old 06-01-2007, 02:16 AM
ticketec

I have been working away at it here and there as i get time to do it.

so far, i have sanded the foam down to the right shape, i also added some lightweight filler to the gun bilsters in front of the canopy because these were a little undersized.

I have new glassed over both of these areas with two layers of 3oz cloth, and sanded it back, i will now add the flow coat to the glassed areas before i move on. the tail area is already looking heaps better, but the change will be most noticeable once it's all painted in the primer.

I also used some filler on the panel lines to get rid of those so i can place them in their correct loation and a little more subtle

thanks

dave

Name:	Nk28047.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	695299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19065.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	695300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58115.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	695301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35491.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	695302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82867.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	695303  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:29 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

hey dave , CMP is good on feedback I hope you send them your work(photos) when you are done , they may release a new version for the rest of us smoes so we can admire ours next to yours but with out having to do all the great work you have done
Thanks
Lou
Old 06-01-2007, 07:48 AM
NoFlaps

Impressive work!
I see the bar has been raised!
It's inspiring to see such avid and creative means to make this plane better.
Great work !
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM
ticketec

THanks guy's and i'll keep that in mind LDM.

Again working on her slowly between 3 other projects and some repairs, but it wouldn't be an avid R/C modeller if i wasn't

I have glued some balsa to make the fillets between the fuse and the hori stab, added some filler and sanded. I will glass it all together when i glass the hori stab hopefully tomorrow. My composite technician buddies have told me that i need to make sure i glass while its warm and not while it's cold at night, and seing as it's 1am, it i'll have to wait.

I also printed out the three view drawing, rudder section enlarged to the same size as my vertical stabilizer. i have placed the kit's rudder over and under the drawing to see how far out it is..... hummm[:@]

It's basically of the same construction which is typical of these warbirds, i used 2 layers of 1.5mm balsa (1/16") ") glued cross grained for the crutch, followed by 8mm hard balsa for the leading edge and medium/soft 3mm balsa for the ribs. all i have to add now is the soft balsa block for the top and bottom of the rudder and she is complete, and ready for covering. as it stands now, my new rudder is 25% lighter than the kit one.

Over the next few days i hope to glass the hori stab and start on the tail wheel area followed by a decision about what type of hinge i'm going to use on the rudder and also wheather i'm going to use a pull-pull cable system or stick with the original pushrod setup.

I also poured another copy of the canopy because i wasn't happy with the adjustments i had made to the first one, this one looks better and i'll try and get a pull of it done next week.

thanks

dave

Name:	Ro41976.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	704463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95865.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	704464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49090.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	704465  
Old 06-16-2007, 01:16 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Nice wok Dave , the plane is really taking shape
Old 06-17-2007, 06:44 AM
ticketec

Thanks LDM,

I have been putting in some more work.

Firstly, i wanted to reattach the ailerons to the wing so that i can cut out more scale shaped ones. I sanded the leading edge flat and then glued on a piece of balsa. Once sanded to shape, i attached to the wing and sanded smooth. I once again printed out a full sized copy of the wing tip and then placed over the wing tip marked out, and cut.

I also realised just how big the scale sized ailerons will be and i reckon i'll have to half my throws.

Thanks

dave

Name:	Ec89884.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	705574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83133.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	705575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61087.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	705576  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.