Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite model kits

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite model kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:24 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scored a bunch of kits over the last three years .If anyone is interested I have the TF FwDora Kit .
I would be more then glad to sell it at American Greedy Capitalist price with zero guild above overcharging based on demand .
Now if you don’t have a sense of humor please dont PM me with comments !
Ebay is a wonderful place lol !
Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Pittscrazy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
I would love to know how many kits Topflite was still selling? There had to be a few making them money.

Everybody please trace the cut out pieces on paper when building these ! Might be smart to pour a plaster cast on canopies and cowls as well...
Like I just did for a .60 size mustang top flite kit that I picked up at a swap meet ? Plane was pretty much built but I did have to make the half cowling , belly scoop and now I am working on the spinner

Not too shabby for $50 !
Old 11-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Pittscrazy

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
True,, anything under 50cc isn't cool any longer,, I see a lot i might build if it wasn't for the soft grass runway at our club, when I flew from assault those were a blast
Hey , I love .60 kits ! I think in our hobby "bigger is better" motto has hurt us as much if not more than anything else . Why ? They become inaccessible to so many people because of time and expense . I have a couple of 50cc planes but I find myself liking the .60 planes a lot these days !
Old 11-18-2018, 01:57 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in that group where camo painted 60 size warbirds are getting harder to see !!!

hahahahahah
Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Pittscrazy

Lol ! I am only 40 so I can still squint !
Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 AM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was starting to drift into the much bigger planes until I realized that I’d need a trailer to haul more than one plane to the field. My Terrain can carry 3 or 4 .60-ish sized planes, and I find they still have enough “presence” in the air. So for me .60 is the “sweet spot”.

Wish I’d snagged some of the TF kits when they were available! I got into the hobby about the time they dropped the Sea Fury. That should have been the red flag to load up on the remaining kits...
Old 11-20-2018, 05:39 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must be the odd man out. I haven't built a Top Flite kit since my Jr. Nobler, in 1961.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:38 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CF105
I was starting to drift into the much bigger planes until I realized that I’d need a trailer to haul more than one plane to the field. My Terrain can carry 3 or 4 .60-ish sized planes, and I find they still have enough “presence” in the air. So for me .60 is the “sweet spot”.

Totally agree! Like most Baby Boomer driven hobbies, the bar on RC kept getting raised as us Boomers had more disposable income, so bigger became better. .60 - .90 sized birds are a great compromise of cost, transportability, ability to build with detail, room to store, etc. I have a few 80" planes, but they are more the exception.

Originally Posted by CF105
Wish I’d snagged some of the TF kits when they were available! I got into the hobby about the time they dropped the Sea Fury. That should have been the red flag to load up on the remaining kits...
I started to grab what were then the discontinued TF kts (like the P39, the Bonanza, the FW190, etc) 5 or 6 years ago whenever I could find a good deal. As I went along, I did pick up a few of the (then) current kits whenever I found an exceptionally good deal, so I have built up a fair sized collection. Noticeable exceptions are the Corsair, and the P40 (really kicking myself here). I have a Yellow Box Mustang, but not a Gold Edition.I also managed to score some good deals on a few old Royal kits and a handful of others too.

Since the complete discontinuation, the TF kit prices on eBay have really jumped. I bet that will pass in time, so I will wait and watch and eventually find reasonable deals for rest of my "collection". I do look at all of these kits a build projects in waiting though. In fact, I just pulled my TF Cessna 182 out of the stash and started construction a few months back.

Last edited by aymodeler; 11-20-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 AM
xxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grabbed a spitfire
Old 11-20-2018, 04:10 PM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I managed to get from a not so local hobby shop. I got all the TF kits they had left!
Old 11-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The old ones fly better than the gold editions.

Originally Posted by aymodeler
Totally agree! Like most Baby Boomer driven hobbies, the bar on RC kept getting raised as us Boomers had more disposable income, so bigger became better. .60 - .90 sized birds are a great compromise of cost, transportability, ability to build with detail, room to store, etc. I have a few 80" planes, but they are more the exception.

I started to grab what were then the discontinued TF kts (like the P39, the Bonanza, the FW190, etc) 5 or 6 years ago whenever I could find a good deal. As I went along, I did pick up a few of the (then) current kits whenever I found an exceptionally good deal, so I have built up a fair sized collection. Noticeable exceptions are the Corsair, and the P40 (really kicking myself here). I have a Yellow Box Mustang, but not a Gold Edition.I also managed to score some good deals on a few old Royal kits and a handful of others too.

Since the complete discontinuation, the TF kit prices on eBay have really jumped. I bet that will pass in time, so I will wait and watch and eventually find reasonable deals for rest of my "collection". I do look at all of these kits a build projects in waiting though. In fact, I just pulled my TF Cessna 182 out of the stash and started construction a few months back.
Although the Gold edition ones are more scale looking with airfoiled empanages, the ones that Dave Platt designed are better flyers.
Although, who doesn't want to have both versions ?
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 PM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by Multi-Engine Guy
Although the Gold edition ones are more scale looking with airfoiled empanages, the ones that Dave Platt designed are better flyers.
Although, who doesn't want to have both versions ?
Agree! I always keep my eye out for good deals on either GE or Red/Yellow box kits. Also look for deals on Royal and Skyshark kits too.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:38 PM
aymodeler

Originally Posted by ForcesR
This is what I managed to get from a not so local hobby shop. I got all the TF kits they had left!
Look like a great haul!