RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite .60 Warbird Set Up

Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Top Flite .60 Warbird Set Up

So, I have been building a TF P40 off and on, mostly off, since 2005. Since things have changed soooo much since then wrt batteries. I'd really appreciate some advice. This is the year the plane will be finished. I am committed to Robart 615s but I am torn between an electric powerplant or a DLE 20ra. I have both. My main question though is the RX set up. Are life batteries the way to go? If I go electric, should I use the BEC or have a seperate power source? I have a 100 amp ESC with bec. Should I trust the bec? It is from HK. Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Chris Nicastro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great plane. Use the DLE 20RA, nice engine, easy to use and very reliable. I’ve have one on the TF P-51D and it’s a perfect combo.
Keep the power supplies separated for safety. When I first took over this plane the previous owner used one pack for both the Rx and the ignition. Yes it’s lighter but it’s also more risk.
Whether you go gas or electric you should have a LiFe pack for the Rx and a LiPo pack for the ignition or brushless power.
Why the different packs? It’s not absolutely required but it’s the correct application of the types of battery chemistry. LiPo has a higher energy density and can push amps/watts while LiFe is more stable and is known for long term storage and lower power output applications. LiPo likes cycles it’s not a long term storage solution like LiLo and LiFe chemistry. Do not use LiFe for high power applications even in radio installations because it can’t push the amps. If you ever build a high amp draw radio installation with high voltage servos you will want LiPo for that. In this case you would be fine with two LiPo packs or one of each. If you’re using a high voltage Rx and high voltage servos then LiPo packs for both the ignition and radio works without a voltage regulator. If you use a 2 cell LiFe Rx pack you can just run it without the regulator.

For full brushless BEC installations you should consider adding a separate Rx pack when the model size is larger, heavier, higher performance than a park flier. The 60 size war birds like this should be set up with two packs. I have seen BEC’s fail, ESC’s fail and seemingly good solder joints fail, all resulting in the loss of the plane.

So my final thoughts for you are to go with gas, cheap and easy, works great, and use LiPo for ignition and LiFe for Rx. If you have a lot of experience with BL systems then go electric but use two battery packs to be safe, power pack and Rx pack.

BTW, still have the TF P-51/DLE 20RA, hauls the mail at 100mph+ and it’s a lot of fun

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 02-08-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Life packs are great for ignition as well as the receiver. Safe, reliable, and in my opinion the only option. If you decide to go with electric power, I would definitely go with a separate pack for the receiver. I have seen too many planes lost because of BEC failures.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:33 PM
RBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it's not too late you should put some washout in the wings and keep the plane as light as possible. I had a kit built TF P-40 with a DLE 20 and Century Jet air retracts. The plane weighted 12.5 lbs and was an absolute b----- to fly. If you pulled up too quick, turned to sharp, etc it would snap. Once on down wind the engine just quit. I left the gear and flaps up and tried to do a 180 to belly land on the grass runway. About half way around it could tell is was on the verge of a stall, snap. Had to level the wings and land straight ahead in the corn. Only minor damage. I had over 120 flights on it and don't know how I didn't total the thing. After that I took all the hard ware out and sold the plane for a display model.

I later got the TF 60 size P-40 ARF. Powered by the same DLE 20 with Lado electric retracts. It is about 11.5 lbs and has wing washout. Completely different bird. Flies much easier and better. No tendency to snap in what I consider normal warbird maneuvers. Lands slower and easier, but still need to land on the mains and keep a little power all the way to the runway.

Good luck with the P-40. Let us know how it is going.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:35 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies. I will now definitely split the power whichever way I go. Too late to add washout unfortunately. The wings were built some time ago. I have flown this plane before and know it is a beast. I lost one because the ailerons had the bellcranks and a lone servo and after takeoff I fought to center them but ultimately lost the battle. I'm hoping this one is light. It is glassed but I plan to only use a light primer coat and just enough paint. We'll see. All that is left is the painting and fitting of flight surfaces and gear. Hopefully this spring or summer.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you run each aileron servo to its own receiver port, you can program both ailerons to reflex up about a 1/4 inch when the flaps are deployed. I've been doing this for years and it pretty much eliminates any chance of tip stall.