Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Retracts Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Retracts Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 02:35 PM
mrcoolpop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retracts Phoenix Model 1:4 3/4 Spitfire 50-61cc Gas

I just assemble this beautiful warbird and I cannot get the retracts to hold so I can maiden it. I add pressure but it leaks slowly from the cylinder only when it up. After about 3 or 4 minutes the pressure is gone. Couple of question, do I need to replace the cylinder with a Robarts or change the current one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There are several cylinders in a retract system. Can you tell which is leaking?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 AM
mrcoolpop

Old 02-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

That would be the main valve. One option is to disassemble, clean and rebuild. You'll need a lube to apply to the o-rings when you re-assemble. Second option is to replace. Robart valves are fine, but I have bought valves from Hobbyking and got good performance from them.

Keep me posted. Send me a PM and I'll give you a phone number.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 AM
mrcoolpop

Ok, will do....thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 12:15 PM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Put full pressure into the system and test it with cutting airflow with pliers. That way you can isolate the culprit. Usually its the cylinder which has arm extended and a little sidepressure on it and it causes it to leak. The hissing sound usually comes from the valve which lets the pressure out . In my jets which have many more cylinders around the plane ( lots of gear doors..) the problem was always extended cylinder and sidepressure on the arm.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:28 PM
mrcoolpop

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Put full pressure into the system and test it with cutting airflow with pliers. That way you can isolate the culprit. Usually its the cylinder which has arm extended and a little sidepressure on it and it causes it to leak. The hissing sound usually comes from the valve which lets the pressure out . In my jets which have many more cylinders around the plane ( lots of gear doors..) the problem was always extended cylinder and sidepressure on the arm.
I did just as you instructed and it worked. Just about 4 clicks on the servo setting and it stopped. Thanks all for the good info. Now, I have one more question. With the Phoenix retracts system is there anyway to slow the landing gear down when opening and closing. Boy they slam open and closed.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcoolpop
I did just as you instructed and it worked. Just about 4 clicks on the servo setting and it stopped. Thanks all for the good info. Now, I have one more question. With the Phoenix retracts system is there anyway to slow the landing gear down when opening and closing. Boy they slam open and closed.
find the appropriate sized wheel collars for the air lines, slip them on and use the set screw to pinch the line to slow the motion.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM
mrcoolpop

I'm looking for any information on converting my retracts to electric. Does anyone know someone or information?

Thanks,