Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

royal spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 PM
MattCurtis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default royal spitfire

So I have a partially built royal spitfire kit and I am considering powering it with a 10 cc gas engine instead of a .60 glow engine. I think this will work and allow me to paint the plane with latex paint as the gasoline will not hurt the finish. Also the added benefit of lower operating cost. Opinons on this? I am starting with an evolution 8cc engine which I will mount on a Kadet mark 2 to learn how to run it and break it in. When this works I will reinstall it in the hangar 9 p51 to fly that airplane first. Then I will work with the spitfire after I have done this with the other 2 planes. that way I will know how to run the gas engine and how it works compared to glow .

Last edited by MattCurtis; 05-14-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: want to add to post
Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 PM
MattCurtis

Sorry to reply to my own post. The other thing I may do is finish building my great planes .40 sized corsair and power it with gas so that after I have done all this I will be ready to tackle that spitfire as it is going to be a difficult project.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 AM
spudandcat

I have an old one of these, I was going to put a 15cc petrol two stroke in it, I thought the 10cc may not quite be enough.
I the end, I just couldn't find a way to get a newer engine to fit as well as ignition, battery etc on the rails.
She got an old Magnum 91 FS today, and only needed a small amount of hacking to fit the rear mounted carby in.
Good luck with it, they are beautiful old kits!
spud
Old 06-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Vortrog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the spitfire ends up being anything like the FW190 A8 I just maidened, a 60 sized engine will not be enough to really enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 PM
MattCurtis

I have decided to build the Spitfire c/l instead of r/c. I have flown the p51 mustang mentioned earlier in my post r/c and it crashed due to a radio problem that I could not figure out why it crashed? I am rebuilding the p51 and will work with that first. I willuse the evolution 8cc on it to start with c /l. I think it wil be enough power. If not I will install a glow engine. I hope the gas engine is enough as I need the extra weight to balance the plane. With c/l I will be able to know if there is a problem. I will be using the r/c to control the throttle. If the radio quits working I wil be able to continue to fly the plane and land it. Since the control system for c/l is mechanical and I build it I will be able to tell if there is a problem? A friend of mine lost signal with one of his planes and it crashed and he does not know why? I refuse to not know why? An r/c plane that looses signal is not safe.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know why you would want to build a Royal spitfire as a control line airplane, keep your eye on eBay there's a guy in Indianapolis Indiana that has one completed and it set up as control line. A10CC gas engine is the equivalent of a 60 glow.
I suggest you go with a 15 CC. Also join the royal kits group on Facebook I'm the founder.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/170232020405624/
Old 07-01-2019, 05:15 PM
MattCurtis

The reason why I am going to build the spitfire c/l is because I will be less likely to crash it. I will be able to do touch and goes with it asI am going to have throttle control. My original plan was to do this. Since there is no way to really know if the radio will stop working flying r/c I would rather fly c/l so that if the r/c gear fails that is controling the throttle I can still fly the airplane. A friend of mine was flying one of his r/c planes and his plane lost all control and crashed and he dos not know why? He is very good pilot and builder. I want to know why I crashed something. With c/l I build the control system and know if something is wrong.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

He was probably flying spectrum also known as 2.4ghz this technology came to the market within the last 10 years. Buy a used 72mhz setup and you have a matching crystal set for direct linkage that never comes unbound. I love 72mhz radios people have used them for decades. Very easy to find.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 PM
MattCurtis

Yes I flew 72megahertz when it was in use and crashed a plane with that because the crystal wentbad in the receiver. No way to check the crystal to see. Ifit is bad? Crashed 2 planes without warning with an am radio after sending it back to the manufacturer to be checked and was told that the radio was fine but people were saying that am radios were more subject to interferencethan fm?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

You more than likely had a bad receiver. I've flown 72mhz am and FM with no problem. Am is less prone to interference. Been flying since 1997
Old 07-02-2019, 03:57 PM
MattCurtis

I flew 72mgz for years before 2.4 and only had those 2 problems mentioned. I still think it is hard to tell when radio gear will stop working?