Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Engine sizing on homemade Spitfire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Engine sizing on homemade Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Hollington37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sizing on homemade Spitfire

Hi guys! I’m fairly new to building my own planes so bear with me and my lack of knowledge. I have decided to go the route of 3-D printing a 3 foot 2inch (nose to tail) Spitfire. The model I used has already been proofed that it flys very well, but my project has been scaled up 200%. The only flying experience I have is with warbirds with electric motors ( I know... the worst to start out on ). My problem is I can’t find any solid information on how to size the engine for my bird. The plane weighs in at 3pounds roughly without guts. I’m thinking a O.S 65AX with a 12x7 three blade prop will get it off the ground but I’m really not sure and I know nothing about wing loading or any of those type calculations ( I actually am In the process of printing the wings ). Can some one give me a ball park guess if the OS 65 will pull it (possibly be hand launch capable) or do I need to go up in size. I’m just trying to get ideas right now. And I know what I’m getting into... I had to make several “first time a guy landed a warbird” landings with a P-51 before I got it down pat. So if my model fails... or I fail... this planes body only cost 40 bucks in filament... so I can modify/ replace my fuse. Thank you in advance