Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart giant Corsair / Hellcat retract problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart giant Corsair / Hellcat retract problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 07:51 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Robart giant Corsair / Hellcat retract problem

My new Robart Giant Scale Rotating Retracts are getting stuck in the up position because the latch that locks them up won't release. I had another set of these years ago in my Top Flight Corsair and they always worked great but I may have removed the locking latch on those. I can't remember. Has anyone removed the locking latch and spring? I have to think that the air pressure will hold the gear up. I I think I am going to remove mine for reliability sake before the maiden. Worst case is they dont stay up but having them stuck up can have dire consequences.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Nooooo!

I had issues with the brand new Hellcat retracts too. I took them completely apart and made sure the scissor links were smooth and free. After close inspection the scissor links were bound up so that was a big improvement right away. Then I took apart the air cylinders and cleaned out the factory lube and replaced it with thick silicone oil for RC buggy differentials. Put it all back together and checked them and now they are perfect. This gear operates at 10psi down and 23psi up and no locking issues. Make sure align the locking pin and lever and when you put the retract back together you must double check the mechanism is free and correctly assembled.

I posted about this fix before, let me see if I can link it here
Old 02-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Chris Nicastro

Default Retract Fix

Old 02-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Chris Nicastro

More explanation than photos to get the point across but let me know if you have any questions.
The main thing to look for is binding in the main scissor link assembly and between the frame and the pivots and solve it. The lower scissor links were fine on this set of gear but checked anyway.
Grease the spring with heavy grease like Bellray waterproof grease, it’s very tacky and works well in this case.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 02-06-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Chris Nicastro

In the photos with the red Allen key holder I’m showing how the stamped link end is not parallel. This was the source of the binding. I had to make the parts more parallel so they would be free.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:09 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Maj. Woody,
I had the same problem with the up lock not releasing in the Robart gear for a H9 giant Corsair. I never could figure out the problem, but removed the latch and spring as you are thinking of doing. I did not have a problem with the gear sagging out of the well even when pulling out of loops.
Chuck
Old 02-06-2020, 03:43 PM
MaJ. Woody

Hi guys.
Thanks for the replies! I too completely disassembled the gear, cleaned it, painted the upper and lower links white, reassembled it with the links facing forward as is appropriate for a Hellcat ( they come Corsair style facing rearward) and used locktite on all the screws. I lubed the key areas as Chris points out. The gear operate very smoothly but it's that darn locking lever. My theory is that the retract cylinder (which can float a bit on the pin) is jamming the lever against the retract frame. Although the lever is tapered, it still can get wedged in there. Glad to hear removing the lever causes no harm. I did not think it would and am almost certain that's what I did on my TF Corsair.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:58 PM
raaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI ALL.
Thank you for starting this thread the information here is a real help to anyone with retract issues..ive got a top flight GS corsair and a hanger 9 60cc corsair both with Robart elec retracts so far so good but will check for binding in the future..

cheers raaf
Old 02-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive had several sets over the years. I always just bend the latch out of the way.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:06 AM
MaJ. Woody

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Chris Nicastro

My TF Corsair is over 10 years old and the gear have never had an issue since new. I use silicone oil both light and heavy and the gear operate smoothly and at lower pressures. I add light oil to the air lines each season or so and that keeps things lubed for a while.
As for air I use as much capacity as I can put in the airframe. Usually that’s a large tank and medium tank or like in the YA P-38 it has two large tanks for gear and one medium tank for brakes. You cannot go wrong with more volume, it only improves performance and reliability in these retract systems. I also use air line restrictions for both up and down circuits so they don’t slam up and down to lock.
As far as the locking arm goes I have seen them misaligned but the main thing is that the air cylinder can move freely to actuate the locking arm. I suggest before someone removes the arm they make sure the cylinder does what it’s supposed to do and the arm is able to lock and unlock as designed. None of my Robart gear, Corsair, P-51, Hellcat, etc, have ever had a locking problem in the last 15 years. The most recent Hellcat gear are the first to be poor from the factory and I fixed them so maybe these count as the first bad set I guess.

Side note: I still have a full set of electric actuators and controller for the large Robart gear new in bag. I’m never going to use them so if you need a set let me know.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:14 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same style Robarts in my Ziroli P-40. I found that if you bend the little latch over just a bit until it just barely catches, it always releases. Once you have the right adjustment it works every time.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:02 PM
MaJ. Woody

I disassembled them and removed the latches, springs and aluminum tubes. They work great And at least on the bench, show no signs that they will sag. I am pretty sure I removed them on my Corsair years ago.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:46 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its been a few years since I had one of these but I was told to disassemble and deburr everything (in 1990) and found a tone of burrs. I did not use oil or grease because they tend to turn to gum if not maintained, and collect fod. the screw that holds the up and locked latch needs to be loose enough to allow the "hook" to move freely.

Joe
Old 06-10-2021, 09:57 AM
Aero D

Default Do you still have your electric acuators?

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
My TF Corsair is over 10 years old and the gear have never had an issue since new. I use silicone oil both light and heavy and the gear operate smoothly and at lower pressures. I add light oil to the air lines each season or so and that keeps things lubed for a while.
As for air I use as much capacity as I can put in the airframe. Usually that’s a large tank and medium tank or like in the YA P-38 it has two large tanks for gear and one medium tank for brakes. You cannot go wrong with more volume, it only improves performance and reliability in these retract systems. I also use air line restrictions for both up and down circuits so they don’t slam up and down to lock.
As far as the locking arm goes I have seen them misaligned but the main thing is that the air cylinder can move freely to actuate the locking arm. I suggest before someone removes the arm they make sure the cylinder does what it’s supposed to do and the arm is able to lock and unlock as designed. None of my Robart gear, Corsair, P-51, Hellcat, etc, have ever had a locking problem in the last 15 years. The most recent Hellcat gear are the first to be poor from the factory and I fixed them so maybe these count as the first bad set I guess.

Side note: I still have a full set of electric actuators and controller for the large Robart gear new in bag. I’m never going to use them so if you need a set let me know.
Hello Chris, I realize this is a pretty old thread. However, I am interested in getting electric actuators for my Robart gear. I'm using the Robarts for my H9 Corsair. Do you still have the actuators?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Chris Nicastro

I do! Still new in the package.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:53 AM
Aero D

Wow. Is it the Robart #150C 150 Series Electric Conversion kit? Do you have the tail retract conversion also??

How much would you take for it?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Chris Nicastro

I have the 150C and 160C tail retract conversion sets. From the Robart website they're $290 together. I'll sell them for half that plus shipping.
The 160C bag has been opened for inspection but its complete and new still.