Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Mk IX Spitfire Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Mk IX Spitfire Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:11 AM
Lee simpson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Mk IX Spitfire Build

HI Guys

So finally found the time to carry on building my Top flite Spit. First off this is my first ever build..... I know I know this is not a beginner build, let me start off by saying this project is more about the building rather than the flying. I will be buying a trainer to practice on in the coming months but goal is really to complete the build, the power plant and all other technical equipment will be transferred to another build after completion. My plan is to reach out to one of my local clubs and hopefully find a seasoned pro to take her for her maiden flight. that being said I do need some advice on the following. I've been following other builds and I'm very conscious of the need to keep the weight down. I have bought the OS 2 stroke power plant for it, robart retracts and pretty much everything else that top flite recommended for the build.

One of things I need help on is a muffler, the OS unit came with one but I want to use an in cowl one as recommended by the manufacturer, obviously top flite is no longer around so I need advice on which alternative use?

Second is the prop and spinner, I have zero knowledge of such things and was wondering what a seasoned builder would recommend?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Lee
The following users liked this post:
raaf (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:29 AM
raaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI MATE
Take your time do plenty of research..There are plenty of great threads on here to get plenty of info from.Im building a 1\5 scale spit soon and have started collecting parts ..

good luck regards raaf
Old 05-07-2020, 06:09 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what size engine you have, but the Top Flight wrap around in cowl muffler does not work well on engines over 61. You may want to look for a pitts style muffler that is designed for your engine. As mentioned, look for some build threads on your plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-08-2020, 05:59 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my TF Spit sitting in my rack more of a hangar queen these days I originally put a OS 91 4 stroke and needed quite a bit of weight in the nose for balance, I have had a bit of a renaissance with my RC hobby, best bit of advice is build the tail as light as possible to the point of sanding and lightening the rear formers and any areas you can without affecting the structure, there are some great threads probably at least 10 years old on the Spitfire here's mine when it was clean I need to dust the old girl and get it flying I plan on putting a 120 in the nose just for weight its a bit heavy at 10 lbs

The following users liked this post:
RickMunn (05-20-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:25 AM
Starwolf2

This is excellent! I am also starting an old TF Spitfire that I purchased about 10 years ago. I will be following your thread closely! I intent to make mine electric. What are your plans for the motor?
Old 05-18-2020, 07:02 AM
Lee simpson

David

thanks for the reply although I wish I has seen it sooner ! I managed to find muffler and header through a forum and they are on their way as we speak. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for a spinner and prop? im going to be running the OS MAX 75 AX.

thanks again

lee