Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

which airbrush setup should i get.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

which airbrush setup should i get.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Mr Hackney UK
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which airbrush setup should i get.

hello guys what airbrush setup should i get for best price for the dollar.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: which airbrush setup should i get.

I recommend the Paasche VL double action airbrush. This is a good quality unit that delivers outstanding results and should last for many years if properly taken care of.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with Steve, the dual action Paasche is a great airbrush for the price. I use mine for the detail work, ie, painting markings and doing weathering. However, for doing the basic paintwork on an entire airframe something that can lay on a bit more paint and has a wider spray pattern really helps. I use an inexpensive automotive touch-up gun. I got mine from Home Depot for around $30 and, as long as you take good care of it, will work fine and last a long time.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:07 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Paache H the vl is nicer as you dont need 2 hands to adjust the air and paint mixture. I got mine 20 odd yrs ago and still going. No need to spend the big buck on them fancy airbrushes as they all do the same thing and work the same way

Joe
Old 10-06-2003, 10:32 PM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

For about $20 more, you can get the Cadillac brand of airbrushes, an Iwata. I haven't used one, but I've heard great things about the Iwata Eclipse. I'm actually going to be buying one shortly. Check www.dixieart.com for some pretty good prices.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a few different kinds of airbrushes and I like the Iwatas best. They seem to be built a little more solid. I have the Eclipse and it's a great airbrush.

Jim
Old 10-07-2003, 07:57 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Testors double action, I think they are now sold as Aztec. Its great, easy to use, and very easy cleanup.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:04 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yardy, what you will find is that there are several air brushes that will do what you want. I have two Badgers, a model 100 and a newer 150. Both work very well and have different size needles and tips available. What is equally important is the person behind the brush. If you haven't used one do some practice first. They aren't difficult to use at all it, there is just a learning curve like most other things.. Oh, don't forget to get a decent regulator and water trap. These are two important things... BobH.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:19 AM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you used an airbrush before? If not, I too recommend the Badger 100 series. Although these are single action, they are easy to set up, clean, maintain, and spare parts are inexpensive and plentyful. They are also much more rugged than the Aztec and can endure many differnent mediums of paint and thinners.

If you really get into detailing, or want large coverage, then the Paache VL series are great. But they need to be kept in tip top condition and do require some practice.

Have you thought about air supply? As far as compressors, I do not use one, I bought a nitrogen bottle and regulator from a welding supply shop. Nitrogen is a dry inert gas. The bottle gives me constant air supply without any condensation, doesn't creat dust or noise, and doesn't require an electrical outlet. The entire setup cost me $60 and a tank will last about 3 years. You can also go with compressed air, but the regulator will cost more. BTW, lease the tank, that way you don't have to worry about having to pay for having it inspected and tested. My lease is $13 a year.

Scott
Old 10-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Demon

The Badger 150 was my first airbrush. I got it almost 20 years ago, and I still use it a LOT. The only thing I've had to replace is the small nylon tip gasket - and that was my own fault for losing it.

The duel-action trigger is nothing to fear. Some practice on a scrap of carboard or something would be advisable before applying paint to something important - but that goes for any airbrush you select.

Squadron Mail Order has the Badger 150 'on sale' at the moment for $69.95:
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=BG1501

D
Old 10-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Mr Hackney UK
My Feedback: (18)

Wow i am still kind of lost here. what i would like to do is get a setup that would be easy
to use by a newbie. It would have to be able to spray the whole model and do fine Detailing .Now i would like to spray all kinds of paints also 3 stage automotive paints and any thing else.Now compressors are another story i would like to get one that does not make that much noise and at a good price.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:31 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Scottrc, good idea on the N2 tank. I may have to look into that.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Demon

It would have to be able to spray the whole model and do fine Detailing .
I really don't think you'll find an airbrush that will give you a spray pattern larger than about 1.5" in diameter, so they won't work well for spraying an entire model. Unless you build small models (like I do), or don't mind numerous passes to cover large areas.

On the flip side, I don't think you'll find a "touch up" gun that will give you a spray pattern smaller than about 1.5", so they won't work well for small detailing.

If you can only afford to get one set up, I'd say grab an airbrush and a few different tips (HD or "Heavy Duty" for the large pattern spraying and an IL or "Illustrator"/"Fine" tip for the detailing). That will get you through until you can aford to get yourself an touch up gun.

I don't know about the other airbrushes mentioned here, but the Badger 150 can handle ANY type of paint/solvent. Be sure to clean your brush thoroughly imediately after use to keep it from clogging.

The N2 tank looks like a really good idea for noise-free, inexpensive operation. Just be sure to have a fresh air source to avoid depleting the oxygen in the room you're painting in - always a good idea when painting anyway.

HTH,
D
Old 10-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Ch0pp3r
My Feedback: (3)

haha Funny... you don't have to worry about oxygen depletion using a nitrogen bottle. If you released all the nitrogen in 30 seconds you would have to worry about a flying 60 lb. bottle though. If you have 3000 cubic feet of bottled nitrogen in a small shop like mine, 700 square feet, then you have about a 7500 cubic foot room. If you released all the nitrogen at once you would overpressure the room. There still would be the same amount of oxygen molecules. The room would escape gas, including the nitrogen. You would be fine. Not much different than being at 10,000 feet altitude, which is good for piloting an airplane without supplimental oxygen.

Anyway, painting through a badger would be no diffent than you farting while painting. Annoying yes, life threatening, no.