Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need held big time-Corsair/Saito Radial/on-board glow interference

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need held big time-Corsair/Saito Radial/on-board glow interference

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 09:55 AM
nauticom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need held big time-Corsair/Saito Radial/on-board glow interference

Need the experts on this one.
I have a Corsair Warbird ready to fly-except-on preflight checking at the field, discovered major RADIO INTERFERENCE with the McDanial on-board glow system on. On checking if I walk 15 feet away, all control services chatter big time.
INeed the experts on this one.
I have a Corsair Warbird ready to fly-except-on preflight checking at the field, discovered major RADIO INTERFERENCE with the McDanial on-board glow system on. On checking if I walk 15 feet away, all control services chatter big time.
I purchased the McDanial glow system as a plug and play system. It was all wired, ready to drop in. I had used it during the bench testing and run in of the Saito 170R3 radial. Ever thing seemed ok
My radio system is a JR 652, servo's are a mix of Digital (JR 811)'s and JR 537's. Receiver is a JR 700.
With the glow system disconnected, all servo /control surfaces function normal-rock solid, no hum, chatter.
I took great pains to route my wiring and radio installation away from the McDanial electronic controller. The radio receiver is about 7'' away(behind) the glow driver box.
The dual wing servo's do have long extensions(76' WS), Y connector, etc of about 40!QUOT!.
The interference/RFI is very noticeable on all control surfaces, worst on the wing-cannot fly the ship with these condition.
Is there shielding, servo line chokes etc that can solve this problem. I'm sure other people have used the McDanial glow system and have dealt with these installation /interference issues before.
I REALLY need your help guys-Over a year of work and big bucks to get to this point, only to be shot/shut down because of the RFI problem.
Thanks.
Bob Masterson
nauticom
Old 11-10-2003, 07:31 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need held big time-Corsair/Saito Radial/on-board glow interference

There are chokes available from JR that clamp around the servo leads. I would suspect a bad connection on one or more of the glow plugs. You are dealing with a DC circuit and does not normally cause interference. I would also send the control module back to McDanials for a check out. Also, I run a Satio 5 cyl. radial with the onboard glow on all the time. I use two 4000 ma. nicads in parallel with a quick disconnect and a inline on/off switch. This gives me over an hour of run time between recharges. No interference problems. The engine vibration maybe causing an connection to open and close causing electrical noise rf interference. Just my thoughts
Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I had interference with my McDaniel onboard starter as well. My problem was .I think, my receiver being mounted too close to the module. I haven't had an opportunity to fly that plane recently but I believe it to be ok. I did loose lots of my range check untill I corrected the setup..You should email MdDaniels.. they respond pretty fast to questions.. BobH.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:23 AM
ilike2fly
My Feedback: (23)

I had a problem with mine also. I moved my receiver farther away and it stopped. Good luck!!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:11 PM
nauticom

Thanks to all for your inputs
Some additional questions people have saked me about this kind of noise

First off re the lose connection thing. All this is happening under static conditions-no engine runnimg
The throttle servo is located right next to the glow system controller and uses a Golden Rod link for controlling the throttle. The throttle servo leads are thus quite close to the controller.
I have ordered some of the clamp on and ring chokes from JR as a possible remedy for long leads.
Lastly, I have been in contact with the McDaniel folks, who have been very, very helpful. I am sending the glow driver system back to them-they think I may have an old unit without opto-isolation on the servo interface.

Lastly, sad to say this--Bob McDaniel, passed away last month. I had enjoyed speaking with him in the past. The people at Sonic Tronics are going out of their way to help on this problem--great feeling you know we will get this resolved--somehow.
Having been an engineer(BS, MSE) I know noise issues are not simple.
Thanks again,
Bob Masterson
nauticom
Old 11-13-2003, 12:27 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of his death. I talked to him many times over the years, often in person at shows. He was a gentleman and a good designer.. He'll be missed I'm sure. BobH.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:57 PM
nauticom

An update on this noise issue with the McDanial Glow System.
Have had some more discussion with the McDanail /Sonic Tronics folks. They are still evaluating the unit I sent back to them. While I wait, I have moved the throttle servo back 6 inches away from the glow controller location. I got the JR choke kits, both the clamp-on and the ring units.
Big Question:1. where/which end of the servo lead do these things go? At the servo end or the receiver end?
2. On the ring type. Do I coil my lead around the ring, or just pass through it?
3. McDanial is looking into the use of the JR 811 Digital servo's in my configuration as possibly being more sensitive to noise.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 AM
BIOHAZARD

an old thread, but still informative.

I was doing some research when I noticed you answered in your post that you use a Saito 5 Cyl engine. Because this is under the BIG Corsair column, can you be more specific. Which Corsair do you use the Saito 5 Cyl. I want to use one in the TF Giant Corsair, but Tower Hobbies technical notes read. 5 cyl radial not reccomended.

Thanks for any info you can relay to me.

Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 07:38 PM
nauticom

BIOHAZARD:
Thanks for your question. It has been a long time off this thread--time flys when you spend most of your time Re building your errors/mistakes. Your question about my Saito radial--it is the 3 cyl 1.7 ci unit-very good engine for 120 size plane--around 14#. Your TF Corsair will likely be in around 28# and will likely need the a much larger engine then the 1.7ci radial. I am about to start a Siroli Corsair, it will weigh in at around 34#. My engine of choice there will be the Saito 3 cyl 450 radial--4.5 ci. I can not help you on the Saito 3.25 5 cyl radial. As for my above RFI interference--well that took a long path--of do's and dont's--probably the most improvement came from relocation of the FM receiver, busing the servo leads away from the antenna, keeping the antenna away from everything period. After getting the plane in a good RFI condition, yep, it went in on first take off from---you guessed it from RFI. A loose flap servo pig tail connector, swamped the FM receiver with RFI, causing the aileron channel to fail. The left flap deployed to an off position (down, it was the gear channel), asymmetrical lift, roll over and in is a heart beat. All of the above could have been avoided with a Parsons Clip and a S-PCM receiver. Plane has been completely restored and is in the process of final re finishing and painting touch up. Should be in the air by late August. What a journey.
Best of luck with your build. The Saito radial is the finest glow engine I have ever run/owned.
Good luck:
BobM
nauticom
Old 07-11-2005, 09:22 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

Hey what does QUOT stand for??
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

NAUTICOM.......Just experenced the same kind if interferance last Sat. on the test flight of my 1/4 scale Fokker E.V........

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3146294/tm.htm

What was your final solution??
Interesting on my test runs I had no problem, about 8300 rpm's with a 18/6 still running rich. (I did have my McDaniel's hooked up to my rx but no servos.
Sat. the best I could get was 6800, Did you experence any reduction in RPM's also??
When you sent it back did they say anything was wrong and what were their recomendations??
Any help and advise much appreciated.
Later

Del Johnson
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 AM
jasonp51d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an outside possibility- what battery pack are you using 4.8v or 6volt - I fitted a 6v pack to my Ziroli P-51 and had massive interference - with all the surfaces going mad.

Fitted a battery backer which brings voltage down by 0.5volts and everything is fine.

Good luck

VBR

Jason