Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best flying P47?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 05:17 AM
Tom Verstappen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best flying P47?

Hi,

In the future after my Taylor Spitfire project I was thinking about building a P47 with or without razorback.
Can you tell me what the best flying P47 is and most scale.

I would love to build from plans and not buy a glass one.
It should be in the 80 - 90 inch range. [sm=thumbup.gif]

So if you have tips and pictures of your beauty's that would be very helpfull for me.

Thanks
Tom
http://www.t-birds.be
Old 11-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best flying P47?

Hi Tom, Well my recommendation is a little larger than what you requested, but I personally think the Meister Scale P-47 is the best flying jug out there. It's big and very impressive both on the ground and in the air. Just this past summer at the WMWA Warbird Scale Classic, I spoke with Dean Di Giorgio, and he told me that the big Meister that he campaigned a few years ago was one of if not the best flying warbirds he's ever flown. Dean...if you read this post, please add your 2 cents!!!
I also like the old Nosen jugs a great deal, but they are without a doubt a tougher build, and a heavier bird when finished. To see some pics and get info check out http://www.meister-scale.com/index.html Also, you can probably find some pics from Top Gun, I forget the exact year, but it was I think within the last 5 to see Deans Jug...an awesome bird to be sure! Also, I've attached a couple of pics of my newest still in the bones, that was built for me by my good friend and master builder, Fred Menna. Anyway, just something to think about if nothing else!
Happy flying,
Rob Bailey / Pickupsticks

If you like giant scale warbirds, check out my website www.warbirdbuilder.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54885.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	75351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72150.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	75352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98879.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	75353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55930.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	75354  
Old 11-17-2003, 10:18 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would have to concure about the Meister Jug. Although nearly ALL Jugs fly well the Meister with its flat bottom air foil flies like a trainer. The vailly jug is wood and fits the bill. I'm sure its a good flier too. The TF Jug flys well but not as scale looking as some of the others (IMHO). Several choices in that range and they all fly well. The jug's wing lends itself to being well mannered in flight so you can pick a plane for some other considerations as well. BobH.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the YA razorback (built by Memphisbelle) and love it. 'glas fuselage, yes.

I also own a Meister Scale 100" Corsair, and if their Jug is anything like the Corsair, I'm sure I'd love it, too. The Corsair flies like a trainer, in many ways.

The YA razorback is more scale than anybody else's offering, though. Go figure.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 11-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Tom Verstappen

Thanks for the reactions...

What about the Ziroli???
Is this also a good one, is she scale?

Rob that are some great pictures!!![sm=thumbup.gif]

Tom
http://www.t-birds.be
Old 11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have see a few Ziroli Jugs fly as well and they too fly nice. You really can't go wrong with any of the larger P-47s as the all fly well. Pick a size and project (plans, kit, etc.) your are Comfortable with and have fun..! BobH.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:36 PM
p-47d-25

Tom, I am building two Ziroli Jugs (slowly). I really like the way both of them have built. I am also building a Vailly FW-190. I love Vailly's plans. The readability is excellent. So.... I would assume his Jug plans would be the same. I hear that Vailly's wing for the Jug is more scale than the Ziroli. I have even heard that some guys strap a Vailly Jug wing to a Ziroli Jug fuselage.

I guess it is like the old Ford/Chevy war that has been going on for a while. I personally beleive that the Ziroli outline is scale, therefore I like the Ziroli. Some like others.

I do not think you can go wrong with a Ziroli, or Vailly. If you want a sport/scale Jug, then build the Meister.
I have flown a Ziroli Jug before and fell in love with it. I wasn't hard to fly. I just really liked the idea how scale it was.

Nick
Old 11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the first R/C P-47 which I observed fly at an event called Tangerine held in Orlando back in 68, I have yet to see or hear of a Jug that didn't fly well. Top Flites 1/7 and 1/5 P-47 'razorbacks' fly well with excellent handling characteristics through out the flight range and really shinemines aluminum...when your setting up your approach my experience has been of one stable performer at slow approch and landing speeds with no tendency to stall ,when using full flaps set in accordance to the T.F. manual.. Have fun!

Name:	Lj24119.jpg
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	75427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73926.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	75428  
Old 11-17-2003, 06:35 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

What is this stuff about a "sport scale" when talking about Meister Scale p-47. The outline is correct. The only difference is the airfoil. It makes it flier friendly. Once again, ask Dean DiGiorgio. He flew one at Top Gun several years back. The static score was very good with no mention of a airfoil problem... Too many people get hung up on the scale airfoil thing!!!.

Ty
Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Tom, I have a nearly finished 70 inch Ziroli Jug and I have enjoyed working with the Ziroli plans. I'm sure his bigger Jug plans are just as well done. I think the Ziroli is much better in outline than the Yellow or Top Flite kits and is probably just as good as the Meister and Vaillancourt. It certainly looks like a Jug should. I've got lots of pictures that I took while building if you want to see them.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

I built the Ziroli P47 two winters ago and have been flying the heck out of it. I think the outline is very good and it is very impressive in the air. It's one of the easiest planes to land that I've ever had. It slows down really nice with flaps in a nice 3-point attitude. Mine is the bigger one and at 28# works very well with the G62. At 92" it is pretty close to the size range you mentioned.

Jim

Name:	Db86070.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	75478  
Old 11-18-2003, 06:47 AM
Tom Verstappen

Hi guys,

The reason why I asked about the Ziroli is because I got those plans.

Richard and Jim that are some very nice pictures.
Chad yes please send me the pictures if you want, do you also have a scale cockpit for it?
The one for the 1/4 and 1/5 looks very very very nice.
Or is that a future project maybe?

Thank you all for the information!!!

Cheers
Tom
Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with Ty. In 3.5 years, I've never had anyone tell me the airfoil or "lines" were off on mine. Matter of fact, I was watching an old video of Dean D. fly one at Warbirds Over Delaware 96' that convienced me I needed to build one of these babies.
He leaves people mesmerized on flying this one at the various Fla. events.

Name:	Hf99287.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	75571  
Old 11-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Dr. Bud

Tom, You have the right plans in your hands. Stick with the Ziroli if you want an exact replica of the P-47. It is up to you to make it scale by scaling out the details. The outline, the airfoil is all there.

The flat bottom people speak of is just that. It is a big trainer that looks a heck of a lot like a P-47.
Does it fly like a P-47 should? I don't know. I've never flown a real P-47 to tell. I do hear they fly well, like a trainer.

I have never seen a Meister Plan set because he incorporates flat bottom wing. But I can tell you the Ziroli plans are great. I built one about 7 years ago. I still fly it a lot. I have built about 8 of the Ziroli planes and I really like his style. Vailly is great also. I have built his Typhoon, and Hurricane. His plans are very easy to read.

If you build a Ziroli, (actually any of the Top designers) go slowly. I found several discrepancies (not to worry) in a couple of areas. Make sure you read, and re-read the plans until you are ready to start building. When I built this a while back I found these issues. He probably has since redrawn the plans. These discrepancies are very minor, but will leave you sort of boggled. If I had over looked them, the plane would have turned out fine.

In my opinion, Ziroli and Vailly, are the Mercedes of designers.

Bud