Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Scale corsair

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 10:01 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale corsair

What you guys need to know about scale competition is the simple rule:
THE PLANE MUST MATCH THE DOCUMENTATION, that's it. It really doesn't matter at all what Dion, or anyone else for that matter, THINKS is scale. I'm not saying he's wrong, but that's not the way scale meets are judged. So, if you can find the 3-views and you build your plane TO MATCH YOUR DOCUMENTATION you can do well and even win. The irony of this is a beautiful museum peice like Dion's Corsair would fail miserably in a scale meet IF IT DIDN'T MATCH HIS DOCUMENTATION. So, while Dion's entitled to his opinion on what HE deems scale or not, in competition his opinion and anyone else's don't amount to a hill of beans.

Mark
Old 12-05-2003, 11:59 AM
scaleMan
My Feedback: (92)

Others state their opinion's alot nicer than he does...
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 PM
kram51

The funny thing is even factory drawings can be shown as inaccurate when you take into consideration mods done in the field. A really simple example would be an F4U-4 with a F4U-1A framed canopy. As long as you can prove that the plane you're modelling actually had the canopy then you are more accurate than the factory drawings where a scale judge is concerned!
Dion does seem to have a "thing" for Ziroli in particular. I've spoken with Nick jr. about their plans and asked why the plans aren't 100% scale. He told me that 99.9% of the plans they sell never get built for competition. The mods are relatively easy to make them more scale, at least the planes that I've talked about. They figure if you're building a scratch build kit then you have the ability to make changes/mods to obtain the level of scale you desire.

Build what makes YOU happy!

Mark
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
thehoker
My Feedback: (193)

I can shed a little light on the meister/zeroli question, I have had both, the meister is a little better(easier in the low speed department),flyer but not much, not as much as you would think the flat bottom airfoil would provide.
The flaps arent shown on the miester plans but are very easy to put in, just cut off the wing behind the secondary stringer in the section you want the flaps, then cut that piece into the individual flaps, its really not hard at all(I agree that the corsair,any corsiar needs flaps for that lookShame on hanger nine not even offering flaps on a hog).
The weight isssue?
The meister will not biuld up any lighter than the Z, especially if you go for the three piece wing option(belive me a wing at 102" with that cord is huge one piecs).
I like the size and presents the meister has at the field, but the flat bottom possed a problem with the viewing of it from certain angles,you can hide some of that with shading though.
I have seen really nice models of both, and in the air , they all look even better.
I would stay away from the century only because it seems to be a lead sled, hearing weights of 50 plus pounds ehhhhwww.Matter of fact theres one for sale in the warbirds section now for a deal, but even the seller states the plane will be HEAVY.
If your newer to warbirds go with the meister,otherwise go with wich ever you can find a deal on. they both are relitively easy to build.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:00 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi f8fbigbear!

Thanks,

Yes I will ignore the children, we don't know who these people are, all we know is that they have access to a computer! They have contributed NOTHING but negativity. Have one dork with 3 posts and he is already telling someone to shut up! Just more to add to my blocked list. I was just trying my best to answer your question and I was told to shut up and design my own plan (the first stone was cast)! Then when I defend myself the bigots come out in force, this time I am reporting all of them though, being on these boards is kind of like being in grade school again, weird!

Anyway, at one time I was going to build the Zioli Corsair but after getting the plans and looking them over I was very disappointed. It would not be a small task to correct this plan. I absolutely love the 1/8 scale Royal plans, so what I am doing is making only small modifications to them and blowing them up to 1/6 scale or 82" wing. I want to use the new BBI toys pilot figures! It's an easy task to make them whatever size you want, a 93" wing or more would be no problem. I'll add you to my list and when I get them done I'll let you know. I'm not looking to make money on this, it's just fun and I would like to see more scale Corsairs around! Looks like we have our galleries back so I can fill that with pictures, but for now here is a picture of my latest project:

Take care,

Luke

ORIGINAL: f8fbigbear

Dion,
When I stated that I had heard that The Ziroli's corsair had some scale discrepancies, I did'nt intend to mean that I had heard it from any one person in particular. That is why I inquired about the thread concerning Corsair scale accuracy(which by the way I found via your post, thank you.) I suppose winning a competition does'nt necessarily mean that a particular model is "scale" I guess it just means that the individuals who scored the event thought it was a nice enough model to win even if it was'nt "slide-rule"scale." I guess I have learned that scale accuracy is in the eyes of the beholder, and some people have better eyes than others. if I possessed the talent and knowledge that guys like Ziroli, Vaillencourt, Bates, Meister, Taylor and others possessed to design my own aircraft I probably would, of course I would be working for Boeing or Lockheed-Martin instead of an electrical contractor, therfore I will leave the designing up to the people that know how. I would like to see pics of your corsair. I am assuming that it would be built from your own plans, are these plans on the market and available for individual sale? If so I would like to have a set. Thank you to everyone for your input, especially "Dion" for his objective, candid, albeit "fiery" replies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73178.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	80483  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:09 PM
ad701xx

Now that's a Corsair! Luke, please add me to your list too whenever you get your plans done.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-07-2003, 08:00 PM
warbirdav8r
My Feedback: (11)

Something you ALL should keep in mind while you are just "stateing your opinion". We build models as a hobby. The designers or manufacturers you slam or " just state your opinion" on are trying to make a living. They are trying to reach a wide range of ability. I don't see any of them in here complaing about their customers lack of flying or building ability. Just my opinion, children. So don't you be offended either.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ScaleMAN et al

What it all comes down to is that some of us are scale fidelity freaks and some of us aren't. I can see that Luke is *VERY* talented and his confidence can be interpreted as "arrogance".

Have any of you ever met any naval aviators? I hear that they're pretty "arrogant".. it's all part of who they are. Not everyone has what it takes to be a fighter pilot, just as not everyone has what it takes to be a great RC pilot/builder.

I see Luke as a "Top Gun" type of guy when it comes to building and flying.. he's got the same type of mentality and skill as a fighter pilot because he rocks at what he does and he stands way above the crowd. I'm new to the hobby and he is someone I would definately aspire to be like.

Those of you who *really* want to call him arrogant, then ask him why he doesn't enter any of those Scale Masters/Top Gun competitions.. seems to me that he could take first place with ease if he wanted to.

Just because a person points out flaws and mistakes doesn't make him a jerk.. if it weren't for people striving to make things better and more efficient, we'd still be in the dark ages. And if you guys can't handle criticism, maybe ya'll should go back to sucking on a pacifier and waiting for mommy to come change your diapers

Booyah!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:54 PM
YAT-28E

Default RE: ScaleMAN et al

Stomper,
I agree....
Luke can make all the statements he wants...
we can choose to respond...
or react......[:@]
Seems like a few react
But I enjoy having someone raise the bar a little higher!
That stinks for me who is workin on his first real scale project!!
Not really ...
it is helping me spend the extra time to make adjustments to make the model
one step better!!

Keep going Luke!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:43 PM
jvolkes

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

you expect to market to the 'masses', then there's a few tradeoffs that need to be reconciled.
I already made that point.

The airplane was the best that was offered at the time
Not true.

and none have designed any models at all.
You just naturally know everything about everyone in this forum? (this may be a god folks!) So lets say I have never designed a model, would that mean that in an open forum I can never say anything about a manufacturers product? Put a stop to all those reviews, hiramboesky said we can't do that!

although there are a couple of guys here in this forum that are critical of the scale outline
I was just answering the question, you sound critical of me and I find that annoying. Learning is about getting different opinions from different people, personally I want to hear as much as I can from others, some just want to hear only those that they agree with.

Much ado has been made of the location of the cockpit and the lack of slope on the fuselage nose
I'm not making anything, just stating a fact. That's what forums are for aren't they? On the other had you ARE making lots of ADO-DO about nothing! You still haven't answered the question of this thread!

For the rest of us, you know, those of us that look at this airplane, fly it, and have built a few of them, it's more than close enough to scale.
So... you're the leader of everyone that has a Z Corsair? I mean you speak for everyone that has one? And now if it's good enough for you then we all have to be happy or shut up? (narcissistic?)

Having said that, and given that you said you're interested in the Ziroli, then IMO this is the best choice for you.
Great, you FINALLY got to your opinion after telling us all about what we need to think, write and do. He said he wanted a SCALE Corsair, not what you think he needs!

There are always guys that'll argue endlessly over minutia.
Again, IT WAS AN OPEN QUESTION ABOUT SCALE!!I was just stating the facts, you on the other hand are bringing argument to the discussion. Bringing statements like that into a discussion is just rude, get off your high horse dude. What you call argue I call answering a question and rational discussion. Some do find free speech and people with differing opinions aggravating, and that's sad.
Luke
Dion, if you don't like to be characterized as "arrogant" then why behave in a manner that unmistakingly is apparent to all that reads your posts that you are?

We know you're an accomplished modeller. We know you take great pains to "scale out" your models. We know you know a great deal about Corsairs.

We also know....you've never competed in Top Gun. You've never designed, and marketed your own model.

Why continue to make the horses pet-tooee out of yourself?

You make wonderfull hatches, guns, gear doors, etc., but you're not an accomplished and award winning modeller, nor are you a designer, builder, and manufacturer.

One needs to ask Dion, what do you know about flying, kitting, and manufacturing a model airplane? Do you have any first hand experience making molds, plugs, etc.? Have you ever designed your own Corsair model, free of all the scale innaccuracies you find so distastefull in the Ziroli design?

One also needs to ask if you're nothing more than a plastic modeller that transitioned to R/C, as you seem to be focused only on scale minutia, more so than other attributes?

Give it a rest dude. You're coming on as an arrogant *****................
but perhaps that's the image you're trying to project, who knows?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:54 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not all of us 'scale modelers' build our warbirds as scale as possible for the same reason. While it appears that many of them do so for the purpose of being able to compete in a scale contest (and hopefully win), others are not into it for that reason. I for one do not enjoy scale contests, because I would rather attend a Warbird fly-in with open flying, so we can get several warbirds up at the same time. At a typical contest, only one plane flies at a time (the one being judged). In other words, I for one don't build my planes to appease the judges, I build mine to fly with others. I get great enjoyment from flying my Corsairs, I don't need any trophies to make me feel better. And by the way, the originator of this thread stated that his reasons for wanting a scale was for his own personal satisfaction, NOT for competing in scale contests.

On the issue of 'minor discrepancies' in 'scale' kits: I think many of us (I know I do anyway) purchase a 'scale' kit thinking that it will be as scale detailed as the builder chooses to build it. That is, we buy a kit assuming that the basic airframe is there to build either a very detailed and scale kit or just a so- so scale plane, depending on our building skills and desire to add details. But we assume the the airframe is correct to begin with, and should not need alterations to make it correct. I find it alarming that so many of the so-called scale kits are not accurate to begin with. Of course, a classic case is the Top Flite .60 size Corsairs. So many people buy these thinking they are buying a scale plane, and no mods are necessary to make it have the profile of a full scale, when in fact anybody who has studied Corsairs can easily spot the mis-shaped wingtips and rudder. An un-knowing person could buy one, decide to scale it out by adding all kinds of details (machine guns, cowl flaps, pitot tube, etc., etc.,) and never even realize how wrong the kit is to begin with. I've seen such Corsairs at the Toledo show: expertly built and detailed, but with the unmistakable incorrect wing tips and rudder shapes of the Top Flite Corsairs. The builder took all that time to add the details, but failed to notice that the profile was wrong to begin with.

So now Luke has exposed other 'offenders'. My guess is the reason some of the people here feel as tho their toes have been stepped on is because they just now realized that the plane that they thought they built so scale authentic is not so authentic after all, and they don't feel too good about it.

All this is probably why the original question was asked, regarding scale authenticity of currenty available Corsair kits, and which is why Luke has provided the best answer yet. And I'm glad I read Lukes reviews before I spent the money on one of those kits. I was seroiusly thinking about a 1/6 scale Brian Taylor, but it looks about as scale as a Jack Devine ( no offense Jack, I'm comparing a scale kit to your sport scale kit), those wings, ARRGH!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:17 AM
shupack

wawawawawawaaa......... quitcher bickch'n....

someone asked about naval aviators, I know several, and when you first meet them they do come across as arrogant, but when you get to know them you realize that they know what they're talking about. a man (and a few women) that can fly an overgrown crotch-rocket and guide it to a postage stamp bouncing on a tennis ball floating on the ocean, and land in less than 150 ft, going from 200mph to zero in about three seconds, up to 5 times a day, is worthy of holding their head high. and that doesn't even take into account what they do on their missions or the rollercoaster ride from hell called a cat-launch. they didn't get there by waking up one day and walking out to a plane and launching, they do it by training, practice, more training, practice, training, weed out the week and meek, more training, more practice............anyway, what was the question? oh yeah, they're arrogant because the can do what most of us have dreamt of doing at one point or another. who hasnt' run throught the grass with bare feet, arms out like wings, going "zooommmm, whooosh bang bang, atatatatat...... " with their friends, and how many actually get to fly the real things? not alot. how many people say (or think) they wish they could detail as good as Luke? how many can (definately not me). I say Luke deserves to be arrogant about his skills, just because he doesn't have the stamp of aproval from a judge, he still has the adoration of (some of) the masses. attitude or not, most posts say "nice bird luke"
Old 12-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Glorystomper

Exactly

Now that's established.. let's get back on topic!
Old 12-10-2003, 03:02 PM
parabellum

is there any authoritative source for the dimension of war bird?
preferably from the government or aircraft manufacturer?

most scale/ non scale annalysis here seems to be based on photographs of aircraft rather than some sort of actual blueprint.

I hear most plastic model manufacturers rely on measurement from museum
display or photographs of them, rather than blueprints.

I guess blueprints of these planes were top-secret 50 years ago, but shouldn't
be too hard to optain these days, or are they still some sort of government
secret that no one can get to?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Shrky

Help, all you "bent wingers" There was a thread on here that included posts about who made an accurate scale corsair(besides Brian Taylors of coarse) that included some very accurate info regarding polyhedral angles, incedence angels, outlines etc. I cannot find it. I would like to do a Meister or a Ziroli. I like the Meister because it builds light the construction appears to be less complicated and it's BIG. I know that it is listed as "sport scale" but I have also heard that Jim's outlines are very accurate. The only thing that would stop me from building it is that it is not designed with flaps. I have seen them fly and it is obviouse that they don't need them, however a corsair without those flaps Just "ain't right" and I don't feel Like re-engineering another kit, believe me, I am just finishing up a TF giant P-51B. I like the tried-and-true Ziroli design but I have heard that they have major scale discrepencies. I don't plan on going to Scalemasters any time in the near or even distant future, They both "look" like a corsair. I guess I just have a very bad case of scale fever and would like to know for my own personal info. I have noticed by reading the posts, and replys on here that there are alot of very noligeable people out there. Just when you think you know something you find out you don't know !$%@?. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great holiday.
Lets go back and look at what was asked for?

There was a thread on here that included posts about who made an accurate scale corsair(besides Brian Taylors of coarse) that included some very accurate info regarding polyhedral angles, incedence angels, outlines etc.
Seems like he is very interested in what is known in the railroad modeling community in rivet counting. He specifically asked about details affecting the scale outline of a model.

I like the Meister because it builds light the construction appears to be less complicated and it's BIG.
Obviously an obsession with size. Making up for some personnel "short" comings (j/k)

I like the tried-and-true Ziroli design but I have heard that they have major scale discrepencies
Asked specifically about the scale fidelity of Ziroli plans. Seems that Dion's comments about Ziroli are 100% pertinant to the poster's question. Additionally Dion does NOT state opinion but has the facts to prove his remarks about Nick's plans

I don't plan on going to Scalemasters any time in the near or even distant future, They both "look" like a corsair. I guess I just have a very bad case of scale fever and would like to know for my own personal info.
Admits that even though his research is not for the purposes of competition, he has strong interest in scale fidelity. One can then assume that unlike most modelers he would not be happy with a good looking, good flying model if it has significant scale inaccuracies as the Ziroli Corsair does.

I have noticed by reading the posts, and replys on here that there are alot of very noligeable people out there.
Genuinely seeking noligeable (sic) people with information about the scale fidelity of the available kits/plans available. Well having followed his posts and contruction threads here on the Corsair, I don't think that anyone can argue that Dion is probably one of if not the most qualified to answer his questions.

If you think that Dion is arrogent and has a personnel axe to grind with Ziroli, it still doesn't alter the fact that his statements concerning the scale accuracy of Nick's plans are completely correct and on topic. And remember. It's not bragging if you can do it.

Scott
Old 12-17-2003, 05:14 PM
John in Boston

Default Invoke History, O Ye of Little Faith!

Wayyy back in 1939, long before Al Gore invented the internet, and the internet "forum" too was as yet a non-entity, the gang at Vought were fast afoot designing the F4U Corsair. That was just a few miles south of me here in Boston, down among the reeds and rushes of the Connecticut shoreline at the Vought/United Aircraft digs in Stratford. But the fact that I inhale the same air that circulated and emanated then and now from Stratford, well, that is unimportant. What IS important is this:

Far, far away, amidst the clouds and fire surrounding Mt. Olympus, an altar was erected to the Bent-Winged Royal .60-Sized Corsair Model Kit and its latter-day offspring The Bent-Winged Royal .60-Sized Corsair Model Plan.

As comely virgins from the four corners of the world willingly and expectantly climbed the lyrical heights to this Place of Great Reckoning, a certain disciple by the name of DionysusBacchus conducted the appropriate rites, and in time a stunning 1/8th scale model of George Hollowell's Pacific-Theatre F4U-1D emerged, resplendent in every tone and nuance of its big brother of WWII yore.

Behold, from over the hills and far away, the gods intone: When DionysusBacchus speaks ---albeit in tones that some of the uninitiated may deem discomforting--- LISTEN !!! Indeed, the wise man knows that there's really but one path to choose, and DionysusBacchus has taken this route. Is it difficult? Yes. Is it one thousand times more difficult than ASSEMBLING a production kit that is semi-scale at best? Yes. Does it get the eye of the girls on the beach? Yes. Do the flaps AND the arresting hook drop down as the plane approaches the carrier deck? Behold, they do.

Abandon thy complaining ways, O critical masses! In a world of myth, DionysusBacchus is THE REAL THING.

John Rood

Name:	Mk25694.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	83123  
Old 12-19-2003, 11:01 PM
YAT-28E

Default RE: Invoke History, O Ye of Little Faith!

as Olsen Johnson said in Blazzing Saddles:

Now who can argue with that?

I have to qoute from movies because I could never come up with any thing original!

Just remember,

I have been doing so much, with so little, for so long,

That I can now do anything, with nothing!!

I had to steal that from my old business partner!!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:16 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Dear jvolkes:

A) Ziroli ~= God. Deal with it.

A1) Meister, Bates, Smith, McCurry, Taylor, etc., etc. ~= God, either.

B) Despite the fact that you admit that Dion is an accomplished modeller, detail expert, and highly knowledgeable about the Corsair in general, you still insist he can't possibly be a designer on par with Mr. God (see above). This implies that you haven't taken the time to look at his Royal Corsair thread, since you wouldn't be insisting that if you had. If this is the case, drag your sad newbie "*****" over to that thread and become enlightened, then try again.

C) HUNDREDS of wonderful, highly capable and respected scale modellers plied their hobby for decades before there was a Top Gun, or even Scale Masters. Hundreds of respected and highly capable scale modellers exist today, without being involved in the contest circuit. Lack of contest experience ONLY proves a lack of interest in competing, NOT A LACK OF MODELLING CAPABILITY. Seems to me a certain very large modelling organization we all know about was formed just for those types...

D) As has been repeatedly pointed out, Dion answered the originally posed question, which as usual for him stomped on the image many "old hands" have of some of their favorite designs, which caused the (predictable) usual painful outburst of idiotic criticisms of his background and character. Factual criticisms of his propositions might be reasonably accepted, but obnoxious namecalling based on nothing more than emotional distress is just childish, counterproductive and off topic.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:33 AM
kram51

Are you kids done? Or do we have to separate you?!?!?!?!? [X(][X(]
It is amazing to me how we've gotten to this point. We are talking about MODEL AIRPLANES are we not?
For all the collective knowledge and energy expended on this thread, not to mention all name calling etc., you still need $2.00 to get on the train in the morning. Get real and keep the energy positive. We're ALL here for pleasure. We're NOT here solving poverty or cancer OR ANYTHING REMOTELY IMPORTANT. 'Nuff said.

I for one would love to dig through Dion's site but it's been down lately. Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks for playing!

Mark
Old 12-20-2003, 02:46 PM
John in Boston

Default Dionysus-Bacchus' Awesome F4U-1D Construction Site

To Mark, and all you guys who're interested in Luke's (aka DionysusBacchus) website,

I haven't visited the "RC Universe" in several months. Bad move, I agree. It's been my loss!

But I still WAS checking in every couple weeks or so to Luke's site, and I noted that his internet host company would shut him down fairly regularly. Why? Was it purely because of Luke's amazingly scale OPERATING TAILHOOK & FLAPS set-up? Nope. Was it purely 'cuz of Luke's lively and thorough documentation of what has to be one of the coolest scale model airplane builds we're ever gonna see? Nope.

Blame it on BANDWIDTH. So darn many bent-wing-bird disciples were entering the online gates to DionysusBaccha-Hoovius' Corsair build that site's hosting company would routinely get all jealous and shut DionysusBacchus down temporarily till all the bent-wing-bird disciples would turn back down the slopes of Mt. Olympus and call it a day.

Now, I have not heard from Mt. Olympus in some time now. Let's all hope that the gods will relent so we may again bring offerings to the temple of Bent-Wing Bacchanalia!

John
p.s. I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional tempestuous dialogue heard among fanatics of The Bent Wing Bird. She wasn't called WHISTLING DEATH for nothin'! It's all about the passion...the Agony and the Ecstacy. (Not to mention getting all those Corsair scale details CORRECT ;-)

Name:	Yw67874.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	83942  
Old 12-21-2003, 11:05 AM
RickVB

Default RE: Dionysus-Bacchus' Awesome F4U-1D Construction Site

John and Mark, I believe Luke mentioned that his monthly bandwidth was wiped out in one day the first week of the month, due to new fan following. So you have to wait until Jan. 1 to get back in...
Old 12-29-2003, 05:13 AM
flythe9

What is the web site address to view the corsair construction? It is missing from the first post.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:24 PM
voyager_663rd

The operating tail hook/tailwheel---->AMAZING DETAIL

http://home.earthlink.net/~mt.girl/
Old 01-01-2004, 09:20 PM
RickVB

Hmmm... someone really must have pissed Luke off this time... while the above *used* to be his web site, only a few of the jpegs remain, all the html is gone. And I note that he's gone and edited all references to his website out of all his past postings (though not recently).
Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 AM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

revoked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.