Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

In-line air check valve

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

In-line air check valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 05:36 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-line air check valve

Looking for a source for in-line air check valves for retracts--say a max of 120 psi rating. Anyone know of a supplier of such a thing? Robart no longer supplies them in their retract systems, they've gone to the "tire valve stem style" filler valve(Schrader-like).
Thanks for any leads!
Old 12-06-2003, 06:43 PM
BigRetracts
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: In-line air check valve

Why do you need a check valve for your Retracts.

I may have an old Robart Check Valve if you want it.

The Sierra Schrader Valves are a much better choice.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:40 PM
f4you

Thanks for the offer, but I'd really like to find a source for future projects, too.
I'm actuating a sliding canopy with one small air bottle and valve, and intend to make it a separate system from the retracts in case of loss of air from the "non-critical" canopy air supply.
Need a check valve in addition to the one in the filler to do it. I really don't care to have to install a separate filler valve for each system.[:'(]

Does Sierra have a separate in-line valve?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me see if I have this straight. You are going to have separate systems (two air tanks) and fill through the smaller system into the larger system through a check valve? Why not use two fill valves and totally keep the systems separate? Or, get a reliable air cylinder and control valve for the canopy system and hook the two together with a single tank. IMO the cylinders and valves from Robert are almost leak free. Two mains and a tail wheel take about 5 days to leak down from 100# to 60#.

Ken
Old 12-06-2003, 10:24 PM
f4you

Here is the whole scoop----
I have the "old" style Robart systems in my "fleet"-----they have a simple air charge port that has no check valve, as you may know. These systems use a separate in-line check valve just downstream of the filler port to trap air in the system/air tank. I intend to put a "T" in the air line just downstream of the filler port, and run both sides of the 2 open "T" lines into a check valve, then into the 2 separate air tanks. I can then fill through one port, charge both tanks at the same time, and if either one fails, it has no affect on the other.

Now, with a little luck, Ken, I got that explanation straight, and you'll see what I'm up to.

My main goal is avoid jeopardizing my landing gear system in the case of a leak in my canopy system. Don't care that much whether the canopy misbehaves, but I have a lot of work in my gear doors and landing gear installation on my Iron Bay Corsair and would be real upset if the canopy system messed up the gear system. My face would look like this [:@] if that happened. LOL

I've also had excellent service from my Robart systems also as far as leaks (or lack thereof) go, but I want to provide a little redundancy in this case.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tower still has a few of those check valves as a part of a kit. Go the manufacturers listings and look for them under misc pneumatic parts. Or something like that. [&:]
Old 12-06-2003, 11:50 PM
f4you

Thanks Doug D.
Tried that. What the photo shows for a # 168 "air filler kit" (or something like that) is the 2 filler fittings and the check valve I'm looking for. BUT if you go to the list of components, it only lists 2 items, the filler fitting and the filler valve--that pretty much tells me that you probably don't get what the photo shows, but you get the schrader valve (that I don't want) and the filler fitting of some kind. The Robart site does NOT show that item any more, and in fact they have discontinued making it (the check valve, that is).
I'm going to do some more on-line investigating and see if someone makes a good, small, check valve.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a search on Google for "air check valve" and found numerous entries. One in particular looked pretty good.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...=Valves&Page=1

This link shows just what you need, a mini check valve rated at 150 psi. However, they are pretty expensive $1.33 to $1.50 each.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...s+Check+Valves

Ken
Old 12-07-2003, 10:52 AM
f4you

Great lead Ken---thanks!! I found some also, but a bit more $.
I might just be able to handle $1.50 a piece.