Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pics of Pappy Boyington's Corsair?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pics of Pappy Boyington's Corsair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:18 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pics of Pappy Boyington's Corsair?

"Bottom line Pappy earned the Congressional Medal of Honor. Far be it for me to second guess the man 60 years later. "

Let's clear something up right now. It is NOT the CONGRESSIONAL Medal of Honor. The MEDAL OF HONOR is awarded by the President in the name of Congress. Let's take the politics out of the process because Congress does not deserve the credit for the individual earning the award. Congress approved the idea for the medal in 1862 but did not originate the idea for the medal.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:03 PM
SVX

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I don't know the man. However I do know where he came from.
Don't forget he was a Commanding Officer of a United Stated Marine Corps squadron. In an era that if you didnt get the job done you got a new job, and it wouldn't be a pleaseant one either. In my time a leader was held to a higher standard. The higher the position held, the higher the standand.
Now he most probably told superiors what he thought. that could make him unpopular.
As far as books go: well I was taught to believe nothing of what you read and half of what you see.
Bottom line Pappy earned the Congressional Medal of Honor. Far be it for me to second guess the man 60 years later.
Semper FI
Well said.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle was VMF 214's flight surgeon JM Reames. He liked Boyington, but my uncle was wild too. I know when the TV show was on, everyone got a trip to Hawii to be "technical advisors".
Old 04-27-2007, 05:37 AM
jetmech05

Hey RAmflyer It is often called the Congressional Medal of Honor. Yes the president awards it, who ever said anything about congress getting any credit for the act?
Did you know that a commsioned officer is an officer and a gentleman by act of congress?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM
BentMetal

Boyington is one of my favorites, he admitted to being drunk in the cockpit when he was shot down in #915. He also called 4 of the planes he shot up on the ground as part of his total kill score. He did this to make himself more desirable to the Marines. He would even center the stick with string trim the plane and sleep in the cockpit, so he said. His wingman said they always knew when the Japs were close because Pappy would fly with his canopy cracked open while smoking. They said that when they saw the cigarrette fly out and the canopy was closed they knew that the Japs were close by. He has my same attitude, screw the establishment. I'm going to build #915, I'll be sure and include the Beer bottle!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44982.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	673192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64428.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	673193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53863.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	673194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74789.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	673195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71738.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	673196  
Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

It is INCORRECTLY called the Congressional Medal of Honor. And NO, I didn't know congress made me an officer and a gentleman. Actually, my education and training qualified me to be an officer and I was commissioned in the name of the President of the United States. I am a gentleman because my mamma raised me right...
Old 04-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I met Greg Boyington twice in my lifetime. He was a gentleman and he and my son really hit it off. My son flies F-16's today. I believe he was inspired by men like "Pappy" and me. Live your dreams! BTW, medals and money can't be taken with you when it's time to go, but memories and friendships will last forever.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
pappy 883
My Feedback: (2)

To Pappy.............................

Name:	Xv62982.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	674801  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 PM
BentMetal

Pappy, Nice plane, very good job in fact. You are not finished with the markings though. #883 had "Martha" written on the left side above 5 kill markings. That was the plane that was flown by 1st Lt. Bob McClurg and Boyington, McClurg added his personal markings though. McClurgs name is also on the left side if I remember correctly. I can't find my color drawings of that plane right now though.

Luke

Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 PM
prop wash

Jetmech and Flak,I agree the "man Pappy" was awarded "the medal of Honor" Who are we to even think about questioning his valor.No matter if he was a drunk or a not so good C.O. My hat is off to him and your son Flak.Semper Fi.Tom
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

When I did this, I copyed a painting on the cover of Leatherneck magazine. I thought it was Lt. Richard Hansen's plane???. Ow well I'll blame it on youth. I was only 19 when I finished it. did meet Pappy at the Chino Airshow back in the 80's. my Dad made me. he was a Marine in the Pacific too.

Name:	Xv63141.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	719823  
Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Dean rcu
My Feedback: (5)

Bob McClurg shared 883 with Boyington. This is McClurg's Markings on my BT Corsair. Martha was Bob's mother.

Name:	Zx71911.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	728972  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Warbirdz01
My Feedback: (1)

GENTLEMEN....Lots of good info on Pappy....I have a Ziroli F4U with 328 flights on it that i started flying in Feb of 1998....it is ready for a new paint scheme and I like the #883 ....its on my list of 2 0r 3 schemes I have narrowed it down to......I would be the last one to try to make out the Personality of Pappy during the war.........I will say this though.....If I was 20 years old fighting a war in some God forsaken place with a bunch of other 20 somethings ( or younger).........I certainly would have consumed my fair share of beer and probably said a few things the higher ups didnt want to hear either.....It was all about survival.....kill or be killed......only 2 options out there at the time.......He....like all the other veterans....... did the best he could with what he had.......Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Chilipecker
My Feedback: (37)

Interesting thread!

Although it's kind of off the subject, at an airshow in Dallas, TX back in 1983 I met the Japan-knees pilot that shot Pappy down...Masajiro "Mike" Kawato... and managed to get his autograph in a copy of his book "Bye Bye Black Sheep". Definitley recommended reading if you're a Pappy "Fan".

He said he became friends with Pappy and they actually met on several occasions after the war. Go figure...
Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Johnnie Red

Well gentlemen,

Men like Gregory Boyington no matter what; they all made history. They were actual history. While our chat here is like the butterflies that live only in the springtime......
Don't matter how bumm, or drunk you are, if you make history by defining heroism.
We owe to these people and if we were in their shoes most of us we would be much less capable than them.
J.R.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We used to go to the Madera Warbird meet back in the late 70's & 80's . Sure enough there was Pappy on one end of the conession row and Kawato on the other, they would talk trash about each other all day . When the day was over and most of the crowd were gone they all piled into the same RV.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look

http://historiesart.com/aircraft_F4U...belle_page.htm
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 PM
hungover

In my search to find the value of a painting of #883 flown by Col boyington and which he also signed I "landed" here I met the Col in the summer of 1980 at that awesome and at the time overlooked flyin known as Oskosh. My father ran the VIP tours and as a 10 yr old boy I had the run of the flight line
I sat in many a warbird and had a great ride in FiFi the last operational b 29. More than the metal it was the men who flew them. I met Galland and Yeager and Pappy. At the pre airshow banquet Galland and Yeager were both picture perfect aces social and smiling...pappy was nowhere to be seen.  Two days later my father rolled up to me in a golf cart at the VIP tent and told me there was someone special he wanted me to meet, I was hoping it would be the crew of the space shuttle he said "no better!" and turned the cart AWAY from the flight line toward the tent city full of cheap junk and everything unimportant to a 10 yr old boy. We stopped in front of a large tent and walked between tables to the very back. There at a folding table between two piles of his autobiography was Pappy himself...in retrospect the picture in my mind is of a middle aged stone faced man who looked a bit tired and hung over. My father pushed me forward to the table with a copy a book. Pappy looked to my father smiled!? and signed the book. He said not a single word. The strange thing was there was NO ONE ELSE no line no nothing just a guy at a table and a pile of books me and my Dad. Highest scoring American ace in the Pacific and no one cared...not to mention the abuse as a POW the MOH must have been cold comfort no wonder he had a bit of an attitude. Like many warfighters I think peace was hell to him. I am honored to have met a true warrior, and in1981 there were many more asking for his autograph "Ba Ba Black Sheep" was on TV and everyone wanted to meet him...But I saw him before that and it is one of my most cherished memories of my time with my father..I write this here because I hope it will be preserved like others that we never forget what Pappy and so many others we admire sacrificed not just in blood but in sanity and survival so that we can enjoy their countless and sadly unknown and unsung deeds...
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I too met Pappy at Oshkosh, though much later than you did. It was mid to late '80s. He still sat stoned faced, and I thought he was scary looking, but as I went by and noticed him I raised my hand and said Hi Pappy, he looked up smiled and waved back.   I already had his book and had read it twice front to back, I just wish I had it with me had I known he was there.  My love for the Corsair came from Baa Baa Black sheep. 

Now that I look back on that day I wished I had been able to sit down and talk to him. You rarely ever get to meet someone like that. 

Later on I heard that he would spend time at an airbase near where he lived refurbishing Corsairs. 
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
rwright142

I know this is a very old thread but Iwanted to show a picture that proves the plane in question is Lucybelle and not Lulubelle.
I have a free forum dedicated to the Corsair and here is a thread where I show the picture:
http://f4ucorsair.freeforums.org/vie...php?f=11&t=167
And here is the picture:

Old 09-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

I also had the pleasure of meeting Pappy at Oshkosh in the 80's... I think I was about 8 or so and had broken my arm right before Oshkosh. My Dad was a volunteer doctor for the fly in, and was already there when I broke it. When the rest of the family got to Oshkosh, my Dad has a special treat for me- he cut off my cast and put on a new one, with a die cast Corsair sticking off a wire in the top! I was running around with my Dad "flying" my Corsair by the welding workshops & Pappy walked up to us. Of course, I didn't know who he was at the time... I was very shy, and my Dad & he talked for a few, then Dad tried to get me to talk to him. I Didn't say much.

I do remember Pappy saying that I had a neat cast, and then he signed it!

Maybe this is why I have 5 Corsairs