Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robart 615 Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robart 615 Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Antoinebobrob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Robart 615 Retracts

Hey guys, I need help. My retracts are loosing pressure whenever I test them at a high pressure. I don't know if this is a problem.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes you have a leak some where. Your retracts should hold pressure for some time.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Antoinebobrob

Hey guys, I need help. My retracts are loosing pressure whenever I test them at a high pressure. I don't know if this is a problem.
What do you consider high pressure? I generally pump mine up to around 110 pounds with no obvious leaks. Of course none of them will hold air indefinitely but mine still have some air in them after 3-4 days, maybe more. If you have an obvious leak, ie, you can hear it or you can readily see a drop on a pressure guage then you would do well to track down the leak.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C

The new Wingspan units do have a little play in the rotation mechanism, but the links are thicker than the Robarts, and they are straight (Robarts have a slight dog-leg in the links). Overall the contruction is beefier on the Winspan units. The trunion is also metal instead of plastic.

I will be trying them out soon in a Corsair ARF... I hope they hold up!
Up until now, there has been little criticism of the Wingspans' strength. However, they've established a strong history of retraction weakness and electrical problems.

Your actual use will tell the story if you've just recently purchased those units. Odds are they will hold up. Odds are unknown how they will work otherwise.

Did your installation instructions advise you to use a stronger battery than 4.8V? 6V? Did they advise you to use a larger capacity battery? Did they mention wiring your model so the Wingspans had their own dedicated battery? Any mention that you should not use heavy struts like Robarts? Or heavy wheels? Each one of those steps were required to ultimately get my 2nd set to work after they were upgraded a couple of times. They ultimately did work. Once.

I hope yours not only hold up, but work reliably and don't burn out. I might go to the effort of swapping out my Lado's for the 3rd or 4th time, to try my latest version of Wingspans if your's work more than a couple of sessions. So far, these forums haven't really had too many reports of successful use.

We await your report. When do you think you might be test flying? Honest, we really could use reliable 100degree/rotators. If the Wingspans have really had it's early problems solved, we all would benefit greatly.
Well, I won't be doing any testing at the flying field anytime soon due to a busy schedule, but I have now cycled them about 50 times with some temporary struts and wheels. One retract is slightly slower than the other (no delay set), but both have held up to my bench testing so far, which includes lots of stressing them while retracting & extending. I was using a Hitec 4.8 volt flight pack for testing. At first I thought that heavy wheels & struts were going to be a problem, but they have improved as they have "broken in". They now feel to be stronger during retraction than the Robarts I have. I am cautiously optimistic...
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Antoinebobrob

Hey guys, I really need some help in putting the robostruts on these retracts. I have never had a plane with retractable landing gear before. I am using the 350 robostrut on my top flite P40.60. Can somebody please show me how to do this or give me some tips? Thank you.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Antoinebobrob

Hello guys, I have an airleak on the cylinder shaft of the 615 robart retracts. Any ideas of how i could fix this leak?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used this to fix small leaks in air cylinders. It rejuvenates the "O" rings inside the cylinder.

http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...o51531obu0cd54
Old 10-31-2014, 05:53 AM
Antoinebobrob

Hey everyone, my retracts failed last weekend. The teeth mechanism of the retracts skipped a dent. This caused the plane to nose over. Damage is minimal but I can't be sure this won't happen again. Would shortening this metal rod help my situation? It will make the teeth jab into the dents more and make them more sturdy. However, Im not sure if the retracts will be able to fold and extend well if I do this. This is because the teeth will be more difficult to rotate. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_212342 copy.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2043723  
Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Antoinebobrob
Hey everyone, my retracts failed last weekend. The teeth mechanism of the retracts skipped a dent. This caused the plane to nose over. Damage is minimal but I can't be sure this won't happen again. Would shortening this metal rod help my situation? It will make the teeth jab into the dents more and make them more sturdy. However, Im not sure if the retracts will be able to fold and extend well if I do this. This is because the teeth will be more difficult to rotate. What do you guys think?
My opinion, the 615's are already very susceptable to binding and shortening that spacer will cause problems. However, there is only one way to know for sure! I would have a spare spacer on hand just in case your modifications don't work and you need to put them back to stock again.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there done that on the modification. Junk is Junk. Anything but a picture perfect touchdown on an asphalt runway will cause these things to collapse. Solved the problem with a pair of Sierra's and now another pair for my Hellcat. In my not so humble opinion they are the best there is.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:28 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried that. It worked for awhile but the retracts got sloppy again. Steel gears will wear the aluminium eventually. The only luck I had with the 615's was in a .40 sized P-40. They did not hold up on my Top flite corsair. Sierras will solve your problem. It is the best solution(although costly) out there.

Dave
Old 10-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Antoinebobrob

Thanks guys. I think shortening the spacer won't solve my problem... What do you guys think of the Robart 810RS pneumatic retracts? They seem more robust. Will they be a good match for a Top Flite P40 60 sized warhawk? They can handle up to 18 pounds. 8 more than the 615's. I also like the 100 degrees of rotation. Great for the V shaped wings of my P40. Sierras seem nice too but they look like they only rotate 95 degrees.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:44 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just asked the same Question because I need retracts for the LX 79" EPO P40 . My concern is that in the LX thread someone wrote a very long note on there disappointment of the new retracts from Robart and the Down and Lock eletronics inside the gear