Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hanger 9 Corsair ARF

Does anyone have one of these new planes? I am curious about the assembly and how they fly. I am thinking about purchasing one of these and I have not seen any reviews yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hanger 9 Corsair ARF

I was checking Horizons site last night, and came away with the impression that is has not been released yet...
    All I ask is for a chance to prove that money can\'t make me happy......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh yeah, they're out. Been in the hobby shop for at least a week, maybe two now. There are some pretty in depth threads in the ARF forum. I'd suggest looking there first.

Mark
    Mark
    Perfecting the one point landing . . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was checking Horizons site last night, and came away with the impression that is has not been released yet...
    Some have already been assembled, and some have already been flown. There were three on eBay a couple of weeks ago.
    http://www.WarbirdObsession.com/
    Tamiya Panther, Tamiya King Tiger(3), Tamiya Tiger I, HL Tiger(3), HL Panzer III(2), HL Panther, HL Pershing, HL Bulldog, WSN T-34/85, HE Leopard 2A5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Search Instructions:
    Go to the bottom of "Warbirds and Warplanes" page
    Type in "H-9 Corsair" into "Search" box
    Scroll to "Subject" in box below left
    Scroll to "Topics" in box below right
    Click "Search" button
    You will discover that this topic has been previously discussed, feel free to bring it back to the top by adding your own comment(s)
    Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I've just recently built one of the ARF's, great looking when complete. Now the bad news. I am disputing the quality of the kit. As I ran the engine to full power for the first time to set the needle valve, the firewall came off the model. Imagine a SAITO 100 running 11,000 rpm busting free. Anyway, Horizon is sending a new model. But there is a serious quality problem with the firewall mount. Mine was not glued appropriately, many voids can be seen. Plus the basic design is questionable. We as modelers could fix this when we build up the kit I suspect. BUT we should not have too. I've told Horizon I don't want another of these kits until they have done a production change to fix this problem. Sorry for the bad news.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82847.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	83571  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

maybe it broke loose because that motor is to big for the plane...over powerd motors means broken planes...im not tryin to me a d i c k but im just sayin what is a probability.
    SAM-RAI Racing

http://groups.msn.com/RCPylonRacing/yourwebpage.msnw

Go Fast Or GO Home BIATCH!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BluesBrother4Life

maybe it broke loose because that motor is to big for the plane...over powerd motors means broken planes...im not tryin to me a d i c k but im just sayin what is a probability.
    The Saito 100 is not too big for this plane or for any .60 size warbirds. In fact, this is the recommended 4-stroke motor for both the H9 Corsair and for the H9 P-51. The firewall on the H9 P-51 is notorious for failing in the past.
    Tamiya Panther, Tamiya King Tiger(3), Tamiya Tiger I, HL Tiger(3), HL Panzer III(2), HL Panther, HL Pershing, HL Bulldog, WSN T-34/85, HE Leopard 2A5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How are you JT ??
    Sorry to hear about your Corsair. I have had my eye out for one of these. I will for sure beef up the firewall with some lite glass and epoxy. But then I do that to all my ARF's .
    Still, I bet that was something. And not fun to see after a 250+ investment.

Good to see you out there flyin.

Joe A.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I got a wild hair this weekend called around and found a H9 Corsair ARF ready to go. Couldn't find one in the box new, but this one all up was hanging in a Greeley, Co. hobby shop. As we all know it's always better to do the Assembly ourselves, and make mods in areas we through experience know are going to be weak spots. So anyway I got it home Saturday evening and went through it as best I could do in a few hours, (wanted to fly it Sunday which I did).
    Weak spots found so far are:

1. Tail wheel control horn (nylon brass) set screw stripped. Be careful about choosing the correct screw and make sure you've ground a small flat on the Rudder/tail wheel torque wire. Don't over tighten!

2. During the Assembly of the main landing gear linkage system make sure you do something to make sure the small bolt that holds the bell crank in each wing is lock tightened, CAed, buddy nutted, something. Because in one short flight that bolt vibrated out. During the landing roll out that gear collapsed slightly allowing a small scrap on that wings tip. Shoot it's not new anymore. Of course I'm going to redo those now so that won't be a problem again.

3. As anyone knows that has adjusted the rotating gear all linkage throws must be correct! The ball link system is very light weight in design, but when adjusted so the landing gear will not tow-out when rolling forward it seems to work fine. A refined and improved gear system would be nice to see on the second batch.

All in all the aircraft flys great, mine all up fueled and ready to fly weighs about 9lbs (thats with fuel) 8 1/4 dry. Flight trims were almost perfect. The Satio 100 with a Master Air screw 13/8 three blade prop was perfect power even at my home fields elevation of 5,450 MSL (Chatfield Denver). I'm also going to be looking over and probably glassing up the firewall area. We are going to have a War Bird Rally in early June and a bunch of us are getting ready to fill the Sky's with war birds.
    Lee H. DeMary
    AMA 36099

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope the guy who's firewall fell off was an isolated incident. According to the plans, it should handle the Saito 100. I've built the kit and was looking to putting the 100 in mine.

Guess I'd better keep an eye on the forum for a while.

Gramps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gramps98

I hope the guy who's firewall fell off was an isolated incident.
    You might want to check out this thread in the ARF forum: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Hangar_9_60_size_corsair_arf/m_1141201/tm.htm[/link]

There were several firewalls that came loose, not just one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

man,,, another ARF war bird I can't buy !!,,, is there any ARF war birds in the 70 inch span out there worth their price ???

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ARF's worth the price ? Let's see........ I build 'model' airplanes for the Dept of Defense and they pay the modest sum of $20.00 per hour. If I were to build the H9 corsair taking let's say 40 hours. That's $800.00 and I have not even bought the wood yet. I'll never understand the *****ing and complaining that goes on with ARF's. If you don't like the way they're built, spend the 40 hours and $$$$ and build yourself a kit.

The H9 corsair, mustang 60, mustang 1.50 are beautiful planes for the money. They fly well and have great looks. I have had each of these and never a problem with the airframes. Sure the landing gear is wobbly, never failed though and they were part of the purchase price. Dollar for dollar you cannot beat the price------period. Sure we should not have to add fiberglass tape to the firewalls or maybe re-glue some of the hot glue areas. But if you buy a new car you should'nt have to take it back to the dealer for warranty or recall work-but you do.

From my stand point, when you build 'model' A/C all day long, it's tough to come home and build your own. I'm just finishing a Dynaflight Chipmunk that's been going for 2 years, got a Ziroli P-40 going on the bench, a Vailly T-bolt to refurbish, a Yellow Spit on deck and am looking to get a BT Spit as well. It was nice to go fly my H9 Corsair this past weekend thank's to break in the weather. I had maybe 12-15 hours in it building (I even bashed it into a Royal Navy bird) That's tough to beat. My firewall is still attached, of course my prop is balanced and my motor bolts are tight. Oh yeah, I added a little glass tape too. If a defect arises and it's destroyed, bummer I only had a little invested. And more than likely, H9/Horizon being as good as they are would probably replace the kit for no charge.

I guess the whole point is, if you are unhappy about the problems others are having with their arf's then give them assistance in fixing them. If you just want to *****, write a letter to the offending company.

To answer your question 'the wasp', yes there are plenty of 70" ARF warbirds that are worth the money. $250 + 12/15 hours and engine/radio gear is well worth it compared to say, a Topflight kit @ $150.00, retracts $100+, extra wood/material $20.00, glue $25.00, monokote $50.00 and a good 50+ hours building time.

I'll now get off my soapbox and allow others to speak.

S1
    \"What madness ? What secrets ? We Plunder,
    All failure, We learn from.... Discovery\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very well said, SpitfireMKI. I too take issue with those who question the pricing of ARFs. You spoke of labor costs to build a kit, even if one overlooks that, there is the costs of parts. A Simular size Top Flite Corsair kit costs about $150. Add to that the covering (2 ~ 3 rolls), adhesives, wheels, dummy radial, and fuel tank and you can probably tack on another $100 or so. Now add in the retracts, SURPRISE! The kit costs more just for the parts!
    I saw many H-9 P-51s last summer, and had the opportunity to flew one of them myself, they are absolutely fantastic flyers with the Saito 1.00. They all did have one problem: landing gear too flimsy, but it would appear that it would not be too difficult to correct/ replace, and one would still have a lot less invested timewise than if building from a kit.
    As for the Corsairs, they were introduced too late in the year for any of them to show up at flying sites in the great white north, but from what I've seen of them (in hooby shop), I would buy one IF I didn;t have 3 Corsairs already (and 2 more ready by summer).
    I am glad that the issue of the firewall has been brought to my attention, and H-9 SHOULD take immediate action on this issue (product recall/ apology/ make proper mods), but if they don't then making corrections shouldn't be too difficult. I would plan on doing something with the retracts as well, given what I have seen with the Mustangs.
    I build form kits, and I buy ARFs. I don't have as much time to build as I would like too, so ARFs fill a gap for me. My own favorite of all time ARF: the Great Planes AT-6 (SNJ-5). For under $180, you get a .40 size sport warbird that flies and looks great, is retract capable, can fly scale OR 3D ( with a Saito .72/ YS .63/ OS .70) if you're into that. My Saito .56 powered one has flown from hayfields, that short but sturdy landing gear will handle just about anything. I don't have any 'sportplanes' other than this one, why have a sportplane when you can have a sport warbird?
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Point is the state department does'nt buld arfs, Tibetan monks living in Cabinda , Angola after taking a vow of poverty do at about 55 cents an hour. Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I saw this ARF on eHobbies website for about $265.00 plus tax and shipping...anyone see it anywhere else for less?

I live in Southern California, so if any locals know of a shop that has it in stock, I'd appreciate a "heads-up" on that too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well said S1.[>:]

Jim
    If it flies in the air, maintenance put it there!

RC Specialties

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built a H-9 Corsair for another modeler and found a couple of things incorrect in the assembly manual. I tried setting up the retract linkage in holes 1" apart on the servo horn as called for, but the retacts would not go up or down all of the way and would not lock in either position. I had to set them at 1 1/4" then the retracts worked fine.

The balance seemed wrong at 5" back from the leading edge at the fuse. The wing at this point has a chord of 13" making the balance point about 40%. I made it at 4" (about 30%) and it flies great. This took about 2 1/2 oz of weight in the nose and a heavy hub to accomplish.

If I was to build one of these Corsairs for myself, I would relocate the rudder & elevator servos to inside the fuse to clean up the rear of the fuse. It is much too pretty of a plane to have those servos hanging out back there and it would also help with the balance.

One thing is for sure, the Corsair sure looks great on those low fly-bys...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I'm seriously considering one of these (Hanger 9 Corsair). I would completely re-finish it (tri-color, with red bordered national emblems), add flaps and retractable tailwheel, conceal those exposed tail servos, and in general kit bash it.

I have seen the posts about the lack of structural integrity of the firewall area in this and other Hanger 9 ARFS, so I would address that issue as well.

What about the retract areas: are the mounting rails/ wing structure holding up well? Or would I need to add some strength to those areas as well?

Those ones on EBay are getting darn cheap, and are calling to me. The Kyoshos just aren't selling anymore, and I thing the Hanger 9 is to blame. Cheaper, yet bigger, and it comes with the retracts. Just can't top that scale Kyosho finsh tho.
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got around 14 flights on mine. It's a pretty good flyer. The fuse is slightly too angular, and the tail feathers are paper thin. To me, it doesn't feel and land as nice as the Kyosho Corsair.

Coming in for a landing:

The CJ pneumatic retracts worked perfectly. So far no nose overs on grass.

I have a YS 110FZ in mine, and the firewall is holding up fine because I reinforced the heck out of it.

I chose to do the WWII color scheme below:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Richard
    Where did you put your Antenna??
    Did you leave all of it inside the bird??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Richard L: WOW, Great looking/ scale finish! U.S.S. Shangri La, right? If you haven't done so yet, you should post those pics in the 'show everyone your Corsair' post.
    I take you are satisfied with the retract mounts then. I have a set of CJs that would probably work. What is the all up weight on your's?
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep, U.S.S. Shangri-La, circa 1945. I tried to model my Corsair after the F4U-1C flown by Lt. Joe Robbins. I still need to add four cannons to the wing. I am satisfied with the custom CJ retracts for the H9 Corsair. They seem to be sturdy, and the spring rate in the oleo struts is just about right. I haven't put the plane on a scale yet, but I would guess it weighs around 9.5 lbs because I glassed the firewall and the inside front half of the fuse. I will put it on a postal scale later this week. If I had to do this plane all over again, I would use an RCV90-SP in it to swing a 16" diameter 3-bladed prop. The current 14" diameter 3-bladed prop looks slightly too dinky for my taste.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bought one.flew it 5 times.on the 6th flight the horizontal stabilizer broke off.crshed
    horizon said it was my fault,i cut too deeply when i cut thru the covering before glueing
    (uh huh(,anyway they sent me a new one.i think i made a bad choice.when i bought this plane.now i see the wings are breaking off.gez......................
    snortnrun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast