RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds hard to fly?

Old 12-28-2003, 08:13 PM
LDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Warbirds hard to fly?

No pics yet , as soon as I get the covering done I will post some pics
Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM
shreader327

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lets get something clear...I am 26 years old.. I have only been flying RC airplanes for 2 years. i started with a Carl Goldberg Eaglet. with a os .25 la engine. of course i ran RC nitro cars for almost 10 years so i knew about the 2 stroke engines and how to tune them. so i bought myself a flight box with all the necessities to start flying. Before i took the eaglet up all by myself the first time all these RC veterans kept telling me that there was no way i could teach myself how to fly... That you need at least 3 months of training on the sticks to fly these planes.. well i did train i used the Realflight simulator from great planes and practiced all winter for 3 or more days out of the week about 2 hours a day until i learned the flight characteristics. i studied avionics and how planes actually fly... after i took the eaglet up for about 3 flights flawlessly after i tuned it in BY MYSELF, i had bought a top flight P 51-D Mustang with retracts that i spent all winter building and flying on the flight simulator.... i set the simulator up with the same engine i had for the plane and Prop i learned how to approach my landings using the rudder and how to actually FLY the warbird in. and not float it in like a trainer.. i also flew the fastest and most difficult planes on the simulator to fly including helicopters. around spring i was flying every plane on the simulator (with all expansion packs) flawlessly. Now remember i had True terrain set to ON with the simulator so i had cross winds at natural speeds so it changed constantly.. I learned to watch wind direction and speeds along with keeping my speed up with tail draggers when landing... remembering to use rudder to compensate with the torque of the engine while taking off. after practicing for so long all these things come second nature for me.... SO i took to the field...there i was doing my pre check 3 times and making sure my Robart retracts were charged up and working properly.... while all the RC veterans are laughing at me telling me i will crash that pretty mustang before it leaves the ground with one A hole holding a paper bag and tissues i fired up my 1/5th scale beauty while the Saito 100 cranked over with the slimline muffler barking chills ran up my spine.. this was the moment of passion that ran through my veins. i looked at the veterans and smiled and said "doesn't she sound pretty"? they started laughing at me once again. i kept my chin up because i knew i had this.. after i checked the mixture while throttling up i adjusted the high speed valve 3 clicks counter clock wise to ritchen her up after all it was a hot day and o only ran 4 tanks of fuel through to break her in... here we go i taxi her to the runway.. get her straight inline... no wind at all... i throttle her up and she runs straight and true until the tail lifts up.. i giver her a little right rudder to compensate for the torque and she lifts off as she is about 10 feet off the ground i bring the landing gear up. and crack her open i bank left.. make her climb a bit... and trim her out then after about 3 mins of flying i call for a low pass flyby.. she howls as i bank her left to bring her in from the left side as banking left i give her a little right rudder and a little right aileron and she flattens out i let her drop about 10 feet off the ground and open her full throttle... she screams so damn loud she rattles my ears.... I loved it!.. and now it was time to land her.. i throttle her down and make 2 flybys to slow her down a bit... at about 1/4 throttle i lower the flaps and drop the gear.. i land her making a left approach.. i remember to keep the plane level so she doesn't stall when she is about 2 feet off the ground i cut the throttle all the way back and use a little up elevator she makes a beautiful 2 point landing once the front wheels touch and the tail starts dropping i give a little up elevator and bring the tail to the ground.. i taxi her in and then everyone starts clapping.... i just smiled, shut her off an refueled.... So do let anyone ever tell you you cant teach yourself... some people have better eye and hand coordination than others which makes them better pilots... and as long as you get a simulator and feel comfortable flying with the simulator set to expert and all elements turned on you will have the experience and confidence to fly.. also when you practice on the simulator make sure you practice dead stick.. when the engine stalls out while in flight. because this does happen often.... and don't let anyone ever tell you that it takes years of practice.... these people are usually the ones who see 14 - 18 year olds fly warbirds and are just jealous because they never learned to fly em or just don't have the eye and hand coordination to do it! This is a hobby that EVERYONE should experience and as for the newbies... BUY ANY DAMN PLANE YOU WANT TO FLY AND GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU TAKE IT UP AND TEACH YOU! Don't let these buzz kills destroy your dreams.. We have the technology to teach us now.... Live your dreams and HAPPY flying!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Scar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool. No posts for over 6 years, and the thread springs back to life.

Dave Olson
Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
kydude123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My opinion is to throttle running engines down to idle and find a safe place to land.Two engines running on one wing is a lot of torque
Old 08-08-2014, 03:39 PM
kydude123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I,m self taught,been flying 38 years now.Sounds like to me you needed to find some better quality people to fly with !(they must have been children in a mens body) I too have run in to people just like that,Loved to see ,em crash ! Congrats on your maiden flight,I wishd all of em could be like that
Old 08-08-2014, 06:39 PM
vertical grimmace

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, they are hard to fly
Old 08-09-2014, 03:04 AM
scale only 4 me

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have to ask, you're probably not ready.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 AM
LDM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow, oldest thread in History , I wonder if the OP is now flying ? lol been years .
I would answer this question totally differant today and that would be --depends on how you deine a warbird and wingloading .
I have 79" P40 made of epo, to call it a warbird as far as flying is humorous, its more a trainer , If I flew a Top Flight Giant Scale P40 like my 79" LX P40 it would crash hahah.
Its all about wing loading with me , nothing to do with how the plane looks, sure I know low wing and airfoil are factors but for me weight is the #1 element of flying characteristic .
Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

died in 2003

resurrected in 2010
died after no response to the resurrection

resurrected in 2014 with a puzzling post that appears to have been misplaced
Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Rogue Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Rock View Post
died in 2003

resurrected in 2010
died after no response to the resurrection

resurrected in 2014 with a puzzling post that appears to have been misplaced
Then it died yet again after no response, only to be resurrected AGAIN 3 years later by me!

....Sorry, couldn't help it.

Last edited by Rogue Pilot; 06-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Search this Thread