Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF Spitfire build

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: TF Spitfire build

Why not just buy one from Fiberglass Specialties?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi Roger

Youre not the only one who took Tuesday off , I did as well , after a med appointment . It was a great day to fly . Something we haven,t seen here in a few weeks . I was maidening a 120 size Zero with a JC-28 , it had tilt and die issues . So , I flew the Styker Q ,..... oh well , it was a nice day .

Sorry to here about youre engine , like you said , better on the ground than in the air . Sure hope you get it off before the season ends .
As for my Spit , I haven,t even started it as of yet , other projects going , teething on the Zero , FW-190 project with a DLE-35 RA ( this should be a rocket ), it has rear exhaust . And one other project to do a super dooper balancing jig , ( picture included ) .

Please ,....keep us in the loop .

Michel
Hi Michel, is you’re FW-190 a kit or ARF, what brand and what is the wing span? Looks like it requires a lot of nose weight, including the metal mount adapter plate, both batteries strapped to the engine mount extensions? Is your choke activated by a push/pull rod that is accessed through the cowl hot air exhaust hole? I sure like that aircraft balance jig, is that your design

I am just finishing off the assembly of the ESM Spitfire, 89†WS, with the new DLE 55RA installed. I have been pondering how to hook up and activate the choke; I have very little room in the fuselage to install a servo activated choke. I too will soon be the proud owner of a new TF giant FW-190, I take delivery on Thursday.

Roger

Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I have that option. However, I want to continue learning/practicing with laminating with FG. I know the cowl will cost me much more that buying from them. But I would miss the learning experience.

Pedro
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: prgonzalez

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

I have that option. However, I want to continue learning/practicing with laminating with FG. I know the cowl will cost me much more that buying from them. But I would miss the learning experience.

Pedro
Hi

+1

Michel
Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 PM
OldScaleGuy

Learning is a great thing. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Michel

Hi Roger

Both the Zero and the 190A are from CMP . Both are very tail heavy , and will have all the weight up front . I have very , " BIG " engines in them . Zero 28 cc , FW-190 35RA , these are 120 size models . The pics you looked at are the Zero , with the JC-28 , with tilt and die issues . For the choke levers , I always remove the choke shaft , and center drill a servo arm, to fit the shaft , install the arm , and position it where I want it , Bolting it to the choke lever , with a 2/56 , nut and bolt . And than I go straight up through the cowl . Yes , it,s a little extra work , but it,s worth it . And ,..................... NO ,............ the design is not mine , it,s a picture I found on another site . It really looks like it,s a winner .

This means you have the 50cc spit ,.............. thats going to be awesome . And with a DLE 55RA , I,m betting you have have a great match , ................ have fun . I think the TF is a D model , that also is going to be awesome .

I was meaning to start my Spit this winter with my DLE-20 , I have just too many projects going . As long as I,m busy ,............ I,m happy .

Hope you get to maiden youre 50cc Spit this year .

Michel
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Michel; you are correct, the Spitfire is the 50cc ESM model. I still have a few things to complete before thefirst flightso the maiden will be next spring.I would have purchased a Saito gas engine for the 50cc Spitfire but Saito does notmake a single cylindergas engine in the 50cc range, so I had to gowith the DLE 55RA.

The Top Flite is the new giant scale ARFFW-190A. I plan on installing the Saito gas twin FG-57T, expensive, butI love the sound of that engine. I hope to get a second and third flight or more this weekend on my TF kit built P51D. I did the maiden flight a few weekends ago, it flew very well with theSaitoFG-36 and it sounded great. I am very pleased with how the Mustangperformed and looks.

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22483.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1816242  
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Michel

Hi

Youre going to , " LOVE " that FG-36 , and I,ve got better news for you , it,s going to get better .

Roger ,..................... do you adopt stragglers QUOTE : I plan on installing the Saito gas twin FG-57T ( I,m jealous )

Hope you get youre flights in

Michel
Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
marco.m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello guys

I will start with the build of the top flight spitfire

Now I've learned a lot from the various bulding threats here on the forum

I think to use a moki 140 gas engine

are there people who have experience whit a gas engine in the top flight spitfire

let me would like gas engine because my dream its the mick reeves 1/4 spitfire
the top flight is a nice learning project on the way to the mick reeves spit

like to hear your opinion and let me know what I can do the best
thanks

sorry for the bad english writing
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Michel

Hi

Youre english is just fine . Study all you can about the spit . And youre right , the TF Spit is a good starter . and after you build it , fly it like you stole it

Michel
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Marco.

The Moki 140 might just be a little too much engine for the TF Spitfire.

Cheers,
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM
marco.m

ORIGINAL: Duplicator41

Marco.

The Moki 140 might just be a little too much engine for the TF Spitfire.

Cheers,
what do you think the dle 20 gas engine its a beter choice
And what its THE bet way for cooling

are there pepole flying THE tf spitfire whit THE dle 20 engine

Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Duplicator41

Marco.

I think that would be a better choice. You will have to open the bottom of the cowl around the engine head for good cooling. Ipersonally don't know of anyone using a DLE 20 in a TF Spitfire. It is a very good engine, I have one that will go into a Brian Taylor Mustang. I also prefer the DLE 20 because the carburator is in back of the engine and Idon't have to cut up the cowling very much.

Cheers,
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM
P-Y

The thing I learnt with the TF Spitfire is to keep the tail as light as possible.
The DLE 20 is certainly a good way to go and to counterbalance the tail.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
marco.m

Ithink I give it a go whit the dle 20 engine
I see the sizes or the engine and i think there are not to much problem whit the fire wall and the length off the engine

and for theretracts i go for the cj
Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Duplicator41

Marco, I would recommend That you use Robart 550RS 90 degree retracts and Robart 3/8" straight struts. Much better and lighter. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Old 03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Wedge K

New to this thread.  I have started building my Top Flite spitfire and I am using a blog to record the journey.  Would it be better to post it here as well to get input and advise?  I have been reading the threads here and have picked up an enormous amount of information as to what to look for and potential pitfalls in the building process.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Michel

Hi

Just 1 ,...................................... Have fun

Michel
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 AM
Wedge K

<xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>JA</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexscript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexscript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <wontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="276"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style>

Questions, questions, questions.  I have begun formulating lists of all the‘additional ‘ items I will need as the build continues.  First, what gear should I use.  I know I will install retracts, but now Ihave to decide on the brand.   TheRobarts are recommended, but I have contacted Century Jet as well and theystill carry a set for this kit.  Inaddition, they will be coming out with an electrical version soon so may waitand see what those look like as well.  Iknow weight is going to be an issue so will have to consider that as I choosewhich ones to go with.

Which motorto got with.  As of now, I have onlybuilt/flown electrical airplanes, and I believe I want this one to be eithergas or glow.  Just haven’t decided whichyet.  I am looking at the 91s Golden Knight from Saito.  Has anyone tried that motor on this plane? I know I want something that willprovide as realistic of a sound as I can, and I believe that will be a fourstroke motor.   Cowling….thetwo part version that came with the kit will be replaced.   I believe fiberglass specialties offer onefor this kit.  <o></o>

Covering…doI use monokote or fiberglass.  This willbe decided when the time comes.  I knowthere are a  few other choices out thereso will continue to research on my free time to help me with the decision.

<o></o>

I am surethere are plenty of other decisions to make that I haven’t even thought about.  Any suggestions from people who have already built this plane would be greatly appreciated.<o></o>

Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 AM
Michel

Hi

There is several questions , that , " I think are very important " .

How good are youre flying skills ? Are you good enough to bring in a tail heavy plane ?, or , a plane that is overweight ? Do you know how to use flaps ? Can you get the pro,s to help you at the field ?

I,ve crashed so many times , the glue company,s rely on my purchase for a profit ,.............. and that say,s a lot .

Michel
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 AM
OldScaleGuy

Decision making is part of the fun.

IMHO a 2 stroke sounds better in a war bird than a 4 stroke. I will be putting an O.S. 1.08 in mine even though it will fly fine on less, that is what i have readily available.

I purchased a set of Hobby King electrics. While the retracts function ok the hole and slot that is required in rib 5 leaves very little material left at the top of the rib, that concerns me about the integrity of the wing. So, taking a step back, i ordered the recommended Robart gear.

As far as film or fiberglass, that is a personal preference choice.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Wedge K

LOL...i have crashed plenty myself!!!  I started flying with a F4U Foamie which was not a good idea....way too much to start on but I eventually got the hang of it.  Most of my flying recently has been on a 3D Hobby Shop 330 Extra which I fly just fine.  I do have instructors at my field that could help me when the time comes.  This build I believe will take me the good part of a year. I just don't have the time to dive into it full time.  As for tail heavy, i don't anticipate that being a problem but the plane being heavy is another issue.  I do hope my personal flying experience will translate over somewhat.

Old Scale Guy - thanks for the input on Robart gear.  I was interested in the Century jet ones simply because they are going to be electric and that may reduce the weight.   Since this is my first kit, I have never covered or glassed, so this will be a project in learning....worst case...buy a new kit and start over!!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Michel

Hi

Quote :worst case...buy a new kit and start over!!

Yep,................... thats the spirit

Michel
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Cprl_lilhorn

Long time, no post!

How is everyone's build going? Every day I come through my garage and see my Spitfire in a state of half-way-built and it makes me sad. REALLY need to get back on the bandwagon and finish it, but I've got no time.

Wedge K - Like many others, I have the Robart retracts (forget the specific model, but it's the one everyone uses for this kit, and I believe recommended in the kit/instructions itself). I plan on using silkspan + water based polyurethane. 'Normal' fiberglass is pretty heavy, and I don't feel it's necessary for this kit. I hope to use this engine - DLE-20. I think it will have the most realistic sound and may counterbalance tail weight, should my tail be heavy. Also, the DLE-20 can turn a MIGHTY prop... another nice touch for a scale-ish kit. One thing that some folks have found very helpful, regardless of engine choice, is to use some form of 'forced air' to exhaust the hot air inside the cowl. This allows you to keep an engine mostly inside the cowl (or in some cases, completely inside) while still maintaining a 'cool' engine temp. Saramos used a small ducted fan - I think that's a fine idea. Others have used air boxes to direct the in-flow of air onto the cooling fins of the engine.

Anyway, glad to see this thread is still somewhat alive!!
Mario
Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Wedge K

As I am putting the upper fuselage together, I am getting ready to skin it with the balsa and had a question on the best way to do this.  I have been looking at other building threads and have tried to figure a few things out.  I believe it will be best to take the full sheet as far forward as I can which will mean a small piece in the back and a small patch just aft of the cockpit.  In the front, it will leave about 1/2 inch space prior to the stringer that is in the middle.  My question is how to patch the front?  Do I skin the other side the same and put a single piece between the full sheets?  Do I cut back and seam at the middle stringer on both sides to meet in the middle on the top?  Should I patch along a stringer or rib in the back or just seam it where the cull sheet ends?  I also plan on attempting to form them as best I can prior to glueing them with either water and pressure or isopropyl alcohol as the instructions say.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.