Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

A motor to keep an eye on

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

A motor to keep an eye on

Old 01-11-2004, 12:18 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A motor to keep an eye on

I was at the AMA show and got to see the Revolution motor in the flesh.
Rear intake, rear exhaust, motor mount keeps you from making cut outs in the firewall for the carb.
This is a scale modelers dream. I can hardly wait until the bigger motor comes out.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62692.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	89611  
Old 01-11-2004, 12:33 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A motor to keep an eye on

yep saw that as well Ray didnt see you however!

Todd
Old 01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ray, I have been eyeing that motor ever since it was first announced. Wonder when it will finally be availablet?..
Old 01-11-2004, 03:54 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

The only problem that I can see is the front of the engine is too long. Most new kits with glass cowls are designed with shorter engines. We looked at these to put into the Top Flight Giant ARF Mustang, and the engine is too long. It's over eight inches long and the model calls for the front of the cowl to be 71/2 to 73/4 inches from the fire wall. We ended up using the ZDZ 40 with the rear intake and exhaust set up. Motor screams, but puts out a lot of vibration. I guess you can not have an high compression engine and smooth running in a small package.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:21 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

I wonder if the engine could be used in the 1/5 scale Mustang kit not the ARF? Maybe you could make the clearance needed when building the plane? I am looking at building a new Top Flight 1/5 Mustang and I have been looking at that engine. Anybody with the 1/5 scale kit that could check their plans and see if you could make the room to install the engine? I would by one for my Mustang if it will fit the Kit plane?
Thanks Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Miloh

Ok guys I give up!! It's looks good but WHAT IS IT?????

Miloh.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:57 PM
viper21

Revolution 50cc gas engine with electronic ignition. The name of the company that makes its escapes me ATM. So I am sorry I cant give you that but I am looking at it for my P51 1/5 kit because I can make mods to the firewall if need be. I just dont have the plane hence the plans so I cant tell. Can anyone with the built kit please tell me if the engine will fit in the plane ?
Thanks Much Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 09:22 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

(CNC) Standoffs do the name thing regarding mounting the "rear inducted engine's carburetor" away from the firewall--- And they also offer a precision 2-piece machined mount which offers a larger mounting "foot print' when the engine is mounted to the firewall additionally; you can combine the CNC standoffs (available from 1/2"- 1-3/4" lengths enabling you to (adjust the length. You have to by the mounting bolts separately though.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:31 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: gary9648

The only problem that I can see is the front of the engine is too long. Most new kits with glass cowls are designed with shorter engines. We looked at these to put into the Top Flight Giant ARF Mustang, and the engine is too long. It's over eight inches long and the model calls for the front of the cowl to be 71/2 to 73/4 inches from the fire wall. We ended up using the ZDZ 40 with the rear intake and exhaust set up. Motor screams, but puts out a lot of vibration. I guess you can not have an high compression engine and smooth running in a small package.
Gary most "so called factory balanced,"propellers DO need to be balanced on both axis thus eliminating a lot of the vibration from any engine,what do you think..
Old 01-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: viper21

I wonder if the engine could be used in the 1/5 scale Mustang kit not the ARF? Maybe you could make the clearance needed when building the plane? I am looking at building a new Top Flight 1/5 Mustang and I have been looking at that engine. Anybody with the 1/5 scale kit that could check their plans and see if you could make the room to install the engine? I would by one for my Mustang if it will fit the Kit plane?
Thanks Viper
Viper,

Must be Mustang fever huh!!! I think it is contagious. Here is a pic of the T/F 1/5 kit version showing the distance between the spinner baking plate & the firewall. The distance is 8 1/8" and that is allowing for a 3/32 gap between the backing plate and front cowl lip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33876.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	89747  
Old 01-11-2004, 10:52 PM
viper21

Hi Countryboy, well yes I thought while I was building the 1/5 scale TF kit and I plan to build it as scale as possible. I was considering picking up a H9 Plane to fly while I build my big Mustang but I think I will pass on buying one as the real funny part is that I am putting together a new in box original EZ Dago Red with new in box original Supra retracts. So I think I will fly it while I build my big P51.
Thanks Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 11:28 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

What to do, what to do............
In every case of every plane that I have ever owned, where my engine of choice or financial means did not fit..............I modified the firewall. Plans are "old", and built around the engines of the day, damned if I would let a little thing like that ever keep me from putting in the power plant that will offer me the most reliable and powerful porformance.
Brison has never failed me personally, and I do not think this one will either. If I had a smaller plane I would be picking it up. But everything I own will call for the larger 80cc version. I will be happy to report on how it works, when it comes out.

Ray
Old 01-12-2004, 12:47 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Wow...one really exists!

Now, if they could just start producing them.