Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Who's got the best Hellcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Who's got the best Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 08:35 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who's got the best Hellcat

Corsair Jock' I am under the impression that the Finns were a co-belligerant and not part of the Axis. I could be wrong. My memory just plain stinks anymore. I meant that the Buffalo was an American (or allied) design. The Hellcat I believe was the highest kill ratio of the Pacific if not the Allied forces. BTW I love any plane that came out of the Iron works. Grumman rules! I also like the Buffalo because someone has to.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-08-2004, 12:22 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ramcfarland: simple maybe, but too time consuming for me right now. I would rather buy one from one of the other 1/6 scale Hellcat makers. There are several others out there (plans, cowl, canopies), I just wondered if anyone had firsthand knowledge of a good one for sale.
phread59: The Fiins became a part of the Axis for awhile, and it was mostly against the untrained Russian pilots (our ally) that the Finns scored most of the victories with the Buffulos. Later, thay did become out allies, and scored some victories agains Stukas. In the book I have, it states that the Navy credited the Buffulo with an overall kill ratio of 5:1. This was taking into account the victories by the Finns, and therefor allowed it to be higher than that of the Wildcats.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
jetfool

corsairjock

try bob holman. I am building bates and bh don lien hellcats. Both are excellent. Canopy is very good
Old 02-11-2004, 09:26 AM
phread59

Thanks CorsairJock, i didn't know about the side swapping bit. I like Hellcats an awful lot. As a matter of fact. In my pile of goodies sits a spanky new Jemco cat. I found it in the bargain basement of a local hobby shop. It's waiting for my skill to improve to the planes level before building. My piloting skills suck.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-11-2004, 10:01 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's odd that the Wing kit was only mentioned once. I flew one for two years and it is a great flyer. The problem I have absolutely no idea what scale it is supposed to be. NONE OF the external dimensions work out to anything near a constant scale. But it is a great flyer with a ST 75, Cent 90 degree retracts and flaps.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:49 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wing Mfg. web-site says: Scale 1-3/8" = 1' . This of course is not one of those easy ones, like 1/6 or 1/7, etc. There are a number of kits and plans by different makers which do not have the easy scale numbers. The Top Flite giant scale Corsair is an example: Top Flite lists it as a 1/5 scale kit, but it is closer to 1/6 scale and that would not be correct either. The new H-9 Corsair, which has a 65" span, is too big to be 1/8 scale, but that is what it is closest to. I think all the Zirolli kits/ plans are not an even fractional scale.

And as for the Finns changing sides: I think it was more of a matter of who was in control of them. Sorta like the Vichy French. Possibly too much of a simplistic statement.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Tempest-RCU
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

SO, anybody know where I can get a good looking/ scale accurate 1/6 scale Hellcat canopy?
Don Smith's Hellcat is exactly 1/6th Scale. You can get a canopy from him (www.donsmithplans.com)

Regards!

Paul
Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 AM
byrne1157

I just picked up a Hellcat in a trade, not sure of the Manufacturer. Sure hope some one can help. It has a sheeted foamcore wing measures about 55". If anyone knows who made this I'd to know, never know when I might want to replace the cowl. p.s. It has an o.s. .60 in it....

Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 AM
mirce

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Check my yellow Ziroli F6F on my web site: www.nsmodelers.rs

You will find there many pictures and building tips...

I made sets for finishing, details and paint masc...

Regards

Mirce
Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 AM
deatonbt

ORIGINAL: byrne1157

I just picked up a Hellcat in a trade, not sure of the Manufacturer. Sure hope some one can help. It has a sheeted foamcore wing measures about 55". If anyone knows who made this I'd to know, never know when I might want to replace the cowl. p.s. It has an o.s. .60 in it....
The Jemco Hellcat that is no longer in production has a 56" wingspan with a balsa fuselage and foam core wings.

Here is a source for a cowling.
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Brian

Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 AM
byrne1157

Thanks Deatonbt, for your quik reply. You guys are the best!!! And so are Hellcats!!!!