Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CAC Boomerang Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CAC Boomerang Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAC Boomerang Project

Bernd,

We do not have the whole book, only copies of the 6 pages I uploaded. They guy who gave the copies to me also did not have the original book. It is out of production and I have searched the world for it, but I have not found it. If you find any copies please let me know as I will buy them all.

Regards,

James.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 AM
jymster

Hi guys,

Some more pics of John's progress.

Regards,

James.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78410.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	457992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13463.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	457993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92900.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	457994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18216.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	457995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa31990.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	457996  
Old 11-01-2006, 08:55 AM
CAC_Boomerang

HI James,

How is your Boomerang comming along ?

I will build up my Wing this November.

Regards
Bernd
Old 11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
jymster

G'day Bernd,

Sorry about the lack of posting. This project has been put on hold for the moment, while other projects are completed. I will post some updates as soon as we start building again.

Thank you for your interest.

watch this space.

Regards,

James.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM
torana1968

Hi,
I was on this thread back in '04, having seen the date I wonder why all I have is a fuse and cowl!!! hows it all going? what was that about dodgey plans? whos doing laser cut wing ribs?
Roger
Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 PM
jymster

Roger,

Yes, it has been a long time for all of us. This project has had so many problems along the way that it has been put aside for now to make way for other projects. There were a few problems with the plans, mainly around the shape of the cowl opening, and more importantly the formers in the fuse. It seems that if made from the plans, the slots for the longerons in the formers were note aligned with each other in a number of positions causing everything to be misaligned. It also made for a really rough and bumpy fuse once skinned. A major problem was that at the tail post the longerons were supposed to be less than an inch apart, but ended up being more than 2 inches! All of these issues meant that we had to go back to the laser cutter to get everything checked again. Adjustments were made and a new set of formers were cut, along with a new ply crutch to hold everything together. This had lead to the project progressing to the stage in the images in the posts above. There have still be a few minor problems with things not lining up, but it is getting better.

The other issue, of the mis-shaped cowl, actually seems to have been resolved by Rod Hesslehurst at a later date. In our travels we have come across a drawing done by Rod Hesslehurst a year after drawing the plans, showing all new formers and cowl shape. This new drawing, however, has not been seen by the laser cutter, as he has had enough of this plan for the time being. Anyway, the adjustments that he has made to the laser cut parts have pretty much resolved the problems now, and the mis-shape in the cowl can be fixed quite easily.

Yes, the laser cut parts are available from Dave Brown of Model Draughting Services on 02 6353 1529.

Regards,

James.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
torana1968

James,
I have the updated drawings from the Mr Hasslehurst, I corrosponded with him for a while, he was aware of some issues and was in the process of updating the plans just before his unfortunate passing. I don't know why the issues wern't picked up as there were 2 built before the plans hit the streets! . I have gone my own way and made a fiberglass cowl and will be using the fuse as a mold plug. It is a little wobbly but nothing a little sanding won't fix. Is there an email address for Dave Brown?
regards
Roger
PS. you may find your wheel wells are the wrong shape, this was another problem , I forget exactly why but updated parts were available (but no more)
Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 AM
puma79

How are we all progressing?? Has anyone sorted out a fibreglass plug for the fuse? Im too scared to attempt the build of the plans now! and its some years later!! lol
Old 03-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck with these boomer builds guys, the boomer wa such an important piece of our aviation history so it would be nice to see a few of them flying.

cheers
Peter
Old 03-04-2007, 05:42 AM
torana1968

I wouldn't stress too much, I made mine ok, and Im not that good!, just keep an eye out for the obvious (fairly) errors as mentioned and you will be ok, I bought laser cut wing ribs from Model Draughting Services and can highly recommend his work.
Roger
Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 AM
tit

good morning.
I'm french so rexcuse me for my approximate english. I have the air borm plan of the boom. Very nice fly. I think I will be the first french to built it.
Do you have the web adress of : model draughting services ?

thank you

Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 AM
CAC_Boomerang

Hi ***,

nice to meet an other Boom friend here in Europe
Where are you located in France ?

Here som pics from my Boom Wing build up from cratch with Warbird colleagues from Switzerland. The size is 1:4,5 .

This report is posted in the German Warbird Forum.

http://www.warbirdforum.de/forum/thr...ight=Boomerang

Bernd
Old 06-04-2007, 02:48 AM
tit

Hi

I look if there is a short kit of the boomerang. The same research for the canopie and the cowl.

Thank
Old 06-04-2007, 03:33 AM
jymster

You can email Dave Brown from Model Draughting Services here: [email protected]

He will help you out. Tell him James Price sent you.

Regards,

James.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 AM
puma79

Has there been any more progress on CAC Boomerang builds?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 PM
jymster

Ben,

Unfortunately our Boomerang projects have been put aside for the moment. I have been busy with a new baby, and John has been busy with other projects. I think John still has the laser cut short kit you asked for, if you still want it. We never heard back from you.

James.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 AM
puma79

Thanks for the reply. Absolutely! I want the kit to get started. I was not sure if John would remember me. I have been exceptionally busy myself, but have some time now, so I am looking forward to kicking into the Boomer. Can u send me John's number, and I will drop him a line or just call me on 0412 133 622. Thank you again.

BEN
Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 AM
jymster

Ben,

I have sent oyur number to John. He can call you to work it all out.

James.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM
puma79

Thank you. It will be great to finally get my hands on the plans and formers. Has the laser kit been put together yet? I noticed there are a few responses with partial builds, however, I am really inteerested in exchaning some info with someone who has assembled it.

Anyway, I will await Johns call.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Bundy

Giday Boomer Builders

I've only just found this thread and it is great to find people building a similar project.

We - myself and Brian from Bundaberg Hobby World started building our 1/4 scale, 108" Boomerangs about 4 months ago from a hand-drawn plan Brian had started from a small 3 view and I had a homebuilt 600mm x 300mm CNC router to speed the cutting. When we found the Heslehurst plan we thought we had hit the jackpot - just scale it up, scan and cut but alas as others seem to have found here although this is an amazingly detailed plan, inaccuracies in the formers sent us back to drawing our own on AutoCAD. Being such a big plane we elected to build the wing centre section as part of the fuselage so it will always sit on its own wheels with plug in wing panels.

A few rebuilds later sees us at this point http://youtube.com/watch?v=1gJ__Xd8ObY

The retracts are homebuilt again on the CNC using a milling tip. They are of electric screw type, very much based on the KISS principle. Forks are cut from 5083 aluminium to fit 7" wheels. Another interesting facet of this build has been learning Alibre 3D CAD software which allows me to model a piece in 3D on the computer and then 'slice' it up to export the patterns to be cut on the CNC from 6mm MDF. This makes making the numerous plugs for the various fairings, cowl and the canopy much quicker, more accurate and perfectly symmetrical.

Brian is planning to use a geared G62 for his but I'm an electric convert. Mine has an AXI 5360 swinging a 30 x 20 prop powered by a 10s Lipo. As long as we can keep the weight in the 30 -35lb ranch this should make an excellent flying plane.

Now we have most of the basic design issues sorted and it is possible to cut a complete plane from 3 x 1800mm x 900mm sheets of ply in a few nights on the CNC, the local interest in this project has us looking at making a fibreglass mould once this first one has flown. This would allow us to build a lot of surface detail in right from the start and hopefully allow us to build a lighter, better detailed plane quickly.

We'd love to hear from anyone also building a Boomerang. We'd also love to hear from anyone who lives near Toowoomba and wouldn't mind taking a series of very detailed pics of the "Millingimbi Ghost" at Oakey. I'm planning a trip down there in March but some detailed pics sooner would be invaluable.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85129.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	865113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66106.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	865114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77976.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	865115  
Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck with it bloke, facinating project and a vital one in our aviation / military history.
cheers
Peter
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Oakey

great stuff there richard
i am trying to draw up plans for a 72 inch version for electric power. i have lots of photos of the ghost and matt dennings boomer from temora
there is also a third boomer being prepared in Qld for an adelaide flyer.
send me a pm if you would like a CD of the pics or something. perhaps i can Zip and email em. I am having lots of trouble with the shape of fuz and would appreciate any assistance i can get.

cheers

Craig
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
jymster

Richard,

You have done a great job, well done! Let me know if you need any documentation or photos, as between John and I we have almost everything out there on the Boomerang. We have several hundred photos of Matt Dennings Boomer, and the best set of 3-views around.

It would be interesting to see your CAD files. Don't suppose you would part with a copy? I have not used Alibre yet, but have just got a copy of SolidWorks and am playing around with it at the moment. Normally I work with ProEngineer for my work, but a little to involved for modelling use, though I do try.

James.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Bundy

Hi James

Great to hear from someone else interested in mixing computers into their modelling. I've spent 30 years balsa bashing and about 18 months with the CNC and I really think it offers so much to the average builder. Whether it can reverse the dumbing-down of modellers caused by ARFs I'm not sure but it does allow you build as accurately and quickly as anything you can buy but with the freedom to build what you want.

I'd be more than happy to share what we have done so far. It is just a collection of dxf files that slot together to make a 1/4 scale Boomerang fuselage and not a plan as such and it is a work in progress - I still have an enormous 'tweak' sheet of small mods after assembling this third version. Most are of the 1mm here and there type.

The wing panels are still very much under development in Profilli. I've produced a prototype but a lot of work is needed there yet. Do you have ideas on what wing sections would work best? We've used the full sized NACA 2215 for the centre section and are looking at copying the full sized NACA 2206 at the tips with scale incidence and washouts. It does make for an unusual looking wing section though.

I'd be interested to hear how you find Solidworks. When I bought Alibre it was compared to Solidworks ( and Inventor) saying it had the same functionality but at 1/5th the price. I'm very new to 3D software and use it purely on a hobby level so I'm interested to see how they all stack up. Alibre was cheap to buy - under $1000 - but they seem to make it up with charging for support, lessons and add-ons - here it is cheap but if you want to know how to use it you have to pay more. I've worked out how to do what I need but I'm sure it can do a lot more. I should use it more for general 2D CAD work and learn how it works but I'm still addicted to AutoCAD

I've built an 8" speaker into the front of this Boomerang and plan to hook up a Benedini sound card and 70 watt amp. As part of this I'd really like to capture that very distinctive whistle the Boomerang makes when flying. I think I can 'extract' this sound from general flying videos but I'd love to find a pure recording of it - any ideas?

Any pics you might want to share particularly of the close up external detail would be fantastic. What I would like to try is to build a Boomerang in 1/4 scale the same way as Harald has done with his SU27 here at http://www.su27.de/inhaltindex.htm I've emailed him a bit and can't see any reason why this wouldn't work and so the need for some very detailed external surface detail pics.

PM me with your email and I'll send you our dxfs as they are now if you like.

Richard

Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Bundy

Hi all

We are looking for some help to clarify exactly what wingtip airfoil section was used on the Boomerang.

Wirraway, Boomerang & CA-15 in Australian Service by Stewart Wilson says it was a NACA 2206.1 which surely must a typo error of some sort. David Lednicer at http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/aircraft.html says it was NACA 2209 and in the book Commonwealth Boomerang Described by Geoffrey Pentand it doesn't actually specify the tip section but shows a cross section drawing of it in the 3 view and it looks a lot more like a 2209 than 2206.

Can anyone shed any light on this? James??

Thanks
Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.