Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Messerschmitt bf 109

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Messerschmitt bf 109

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:27 PM
bridiXLT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messerschmitt bf 109

The standard German WWII fighter

i am thinking of getting the sureflight .40 bf 109 its a foam arf that needs to be covered..

i have a few questions

could i cover it with epoxy resin and fiberglass to make it strong enough to with stand a rossi .40 ?

if i get it it would weight in at about 5.3 lbs rtf

how well would setup work?

also i would be putting retracts in it with vq struts

anyone with some experance using epoxy resin and glass please let me know how it would work out ?

thanks

here is a pic of the bf 109
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92971.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	102361  
Old 02-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Schwoop

Default RE: Messerschmitt bf 109

I've got a Sureflite 109 that I've glassed with Minwax Polycrylic (to save weight) and have it in the primer stages. I've also installed some hobbico (I think... it's been over a year) mechanical retracts. I actually had to reverse them as they were set up to retract the wheels to the inside like a P-51, not to the outside like the bf109 or spitfire. It works well and of course is light weight. I have a TT 46 installed and just need to get a pitts muffler and finish the paint job.

Finally, my flying partner bought the spitfire last year and had a ball with it. The key is to build light as he used Zpoxy finishing resin and it came out a bit on the heavy side. It flew in a little hot for the landings. Keep us posted on your progress!

Craig
Old 02-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Default RE: Messerschmitt bf 109

Some years back, at least 12, stopped by and talked to the manufacturer in Lake Elsinore, CA because I was curious about foam. He told me a light but extremely strong covering was with butcher paper over cut (50-50 water) Elmer's glue. The paper formed well over the foam, dried overnight, and was easily painted. I never tried it, too much into balsa, but I have about 5 of his kits (?) up in the rafters. Maybe one of these days.............