Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
cometravi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: World Models .60 size P-51 Mustang--Petie 2nd version

There is another post on this plane which says that a 914S will be plenty but i took Dave's advise and went for a 120 4S. I am just waiting for a clear 2 day window to complete my plane. It isnt a long way off...next weekend maybe...i'll keep everyone posted..
Old 07-22-2004, 01:13 AM
bird-shots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys may not be interested in electric conversions, but I just got both the WM and Hangar 9 .60 size P-51s in the mail today, and both will be AXI / LiPo driven. The Hangar 9 will be for training and the WM will be THE ONE. I have the Century Jet retracts that are made for the WM already. They aren't advertised on the CJ website, but they do have them and they look great. The Hangar 9 will be assembled first and is getting a set of Robart 606HDs before it's first flight. The only thing I need to know now is the weight of the of each plane without the engine so that I can select the right battery pack.

Even though its a little heavier, I like the WM primarily because of the flaps. Quantum Models has them for $250 free shipping.

If anyone is interested I'll be posting some pics over in the Electric Conversion forum along the way.

geach
Old 07-22-2004, 03:33 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Geach, very cool I am defintely interested in your conversions I will read them. And yep I am buying my Mustang from Quantum Models they always have treated me right. Mine is getting an OS 91 Surpass and I am installing my Supra mechanicals that are awesome retracts and will be fitting them with Robo Struts so I have nice smooth landings
Viper
Old 07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
viper21

I just emailed Quantam Models and they told me they are out of the Mustangs but ordered them and they should be in around a week which means I will get mine in about two weeks. I am looking forward to getting my Mustang I have a choice between a Saito 91 or a OS 91 Surpass II anyone have an idea which would run better in the Mustang. I just need to order the correct Robo Struts now I am going to install my Supra Mechanicals they are smooth and made with an aluminum frame.
Thanks Viper
Old 07-22-2004, 07:19 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

We need some pics.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:43 PM
taildraggerdave
My Feedback: (1)

Here' one.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72362.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	156403  
Old 07-22-2004, 11:03 PM
viper21

Hi Dave, so you recommend I buy a 120 4 Stroke instead of my OS or Saito 91's that I have? I have other planes for the 91's I will just need to buy a new engine and a new retract servo. I am going to install my tried and true Supra Mechanical retracts made from aluminum. Best Mechanicals I have ever owned 10 years and never have folded on a landing yet I am going to install Robo Struts on the retracts do you know if I have to buy straight Robo Struts or can I use the more scale offset Robo Struts, Or if anyone else knows ? The offset struts would look better and I will be flying from pavement so they wont take a beating.
Thanks Joe
Old 07-23-2004, 07:38 AM
taildraggerdave

I'm a big fan of the YS line. A YS 1.10 would be really nice............I'm cheap and I had this Saito already. I do like this engine a lot as well. I think the YS line is a bit faster, though.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
viper21

I hear ya Dave, I have other planes to outfit so I am installing my OS 91 in the P51 it should fly it well just not ballistic. I really dont want to pop for a new 120 right now because I need to buy a new engine for my TF P51 1/5 kit I am building soon.
Viper
Old 07-29-2004, 01:49 PM
mnmills2
Banned

Ive had mine now for a week or two. I like the plane a lot...It went together pretty good. My covering had some wrinkles in it, but nothing that cant be taken out with a heat gun. I put a 91FX in mine. Im probably just going to use standard ball bearing servos in on all surfaces with a 6V battery. I saw one of the earlier posts had the fuel tank installed further back. As I was assembling my fuel tank lastnight, I had a similar idea. Just wondering what size tank that was and if there were any other considerations to installing the tank further back? Just like to get other opinions before I start glueing everything down.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM
viper21

Guys, I am glad you like the P51 mine is due next week sometime. I still havent decided on which motor to run my Saito 91 or OS 91 Surpass II both are new in box? I am also trying to decide on the Century Jets Retracts or the Robarts with Robo Struts? Any suggestions on which gear?
I am also installing ball bearing servos.

Dave, thats real nice engine install, I think I may run my Saito and cut the muffler like you did is there a large difference in RPMs and power now?

Mike, I am also considering using a Perry Pump as well so I may move back my fuel tank as well I wont know for sure till I get my airplane.

Thanks Viper
Old 07-29-2004, 02:56 PM
viper21

Well I just called Quantum Models and my WM P51D didn't come in yet, they said possibly tomorrow but I am thinking they wont get it untill Monday so I will get it sometimes late next week . I am looking forward to getting its any pictures you guys can post would be great to look at.
Viper
Old 07-31-2004, 08:38 PM
viper21

Cruz, I will post some pictures as soon as my plane gets here hopefully sometime next week but Quantum didn't have it yet when I called yesterday so I may not see it until next week.[] I am thinking about getting an inverted pitts muffler but I dont want to restrict the engine I am not sure which one to get?
I am getting the CJM gear for it on Monday its the simplest way to go as I get air retracts and struts and I already have a Robart adjustable air valve so I will use it. It should be a nice plane that gives me something to fly while I build my 1/5 TF P51D Kit its getting a gas engine yet to be determined? I want one that allows the least amount of cutting of the glass cowl I have for the plane.
Viper
Old 08-01-2004, 07:49 PM
mnmills2
Banned

I bought mine from Airborne Models...had it on my doorstep in 4 days. They are on the internet so you shouldnt have a hard time finding them.

I flew it for the first time today. The control throws are WAY to much. Luckily I set my low rates at half the recommended amount and it worked out good. It flys well once its all trimmed. My flight was only about 5 minutes long though. My new 91 FX died inflight...first landing was a deadstick. Seemed to land nicely. Still in one piece and ready to fly next week!

Mike
Old 08-01-2004, 08:25 PM
taildraggerdave

Did you get a chance to use the flaps? Not sure if you'd have the time with a deadstick or not. This plane flies so well. I use about 10 degrees of flap for takeoff and it makes the takeoff roll shorter and gives it tons of extra lift. On landing, I put in the 10 degree portion of flaps first on my initial braking turn, and drop to full flaps(40 degrees) on base. I use a high rate of decent, full flap landing and you can still put it on the runway nice and slow. Pull the flaps when the mains touch and the plane sticks like glue. Roll off at the center taxiway. Taxi back, in formation with your 2 other flying buddies, and the guys in the pit area smile as you taxi by..............
Old 08-01-2004, 08:30 PM
taildraggerdave

Also, for the guys just getting theirs........don't forget it is VERY important to add more epoxy to the retract mounts. Every Petie that I know has had the gear come out or torn out. No joke. I watched it happen to my buddies plane on the maiden. And I can name off each guy at the field that has had the same problem. I took my retracts out on the night after the maiden and added a lot of epoxy in the retract bays as far as I could get it to spread. So far, my gear is the only one that has not been repaired. Used to have to do it to the .40 size WM Mustangs as well.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:31 PM
viper21

Mike, I didn't think about buying from Airborne Models direct but I don't mind waiting too long and I have bought from Quantum before they are good people so I will wait a little while. I am glad that you got your plane back in one piece from the deadstick. I guess the plane glides decently or you where real close to the runway?

Thanks for the control surface setting heads up I will setup my dual rates also maybe I will dial out a bit of travel. I was going to ask about the flaps but it doesn't sound as if you had a chance to use them?
Joe
Old 08-01-2004, 08:41 PM
viper21

Dave, thanks for the tip on the retract mounts I had planned to work on them as well. I am installing the Century Jet retracts so I am not sure if I need to make any mods to the mounts. Is it possible to get some triangle balsa stock in there without cutting into the wing? If not can you get some 2 ounce glass cloth in there with some epoxy I am going to give it a shot?
Thanks Joe
Old 08-01-2004, 09:12 PM
taildraggerdave

Yes, you could get some triangle stock in there. Wouldn't matter which retracts you use, you would still need to reinforce/glue the mounting rails in the wing. It is basically a 2" square hole that you have to work with so you could cut some small pieces of tri stock and epoxy them in under the rails. I chose to wick a bunch of thin CA into the joints and epoxy over top of that. Here are some photos I dug up..........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71918.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	159724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17890.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	159725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52721.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	159726  
Old 08-01-2004, 09:52 PM
taildraggerdave

I was going back through the thread and found your question. I don't remember for sure but I think I used a 20 or 24 oz Dubro tank. Just chose whatever size tank will give you the amount of flight time you want and will fit within the fuse at the chosen location. I brought it back closer to CG so there would be less CG change as the tank empties. This usually requires a pump of some sort and I use a Perry pump with my Saito 1.20 Hope this doesn't come too late.........
Old 08-01-2004, 10:53 PM
viper21

No Dave, its not too late I haven't received my Mustang from Quantum Models as of yet I am hoping to get it this coming week but they had to order them as they where not instock. I should have bought it from Airborne Models they are just one day away via UPS [X(] Oh well no biggie its been kind of hot here anyway eo no major loss as I have yet to get my portable A/C for my shop.

How are the stock retracts holding up Dave? Do you think that there is room in the wheel wells for off set Robo Struts? I am leaning towards the CJM gear because of the struts?
Thanks Joe
Old 08-02-2004, 12:09 AM
taildraggerdave

The stock retracts are working great for me. I am using the new retract servo from JR and it is 260in.oz. of torque. The wire bends once in a while but nothing serious. Robarts would be nice. You may have to angle the mounting rails a bit and lower the wheel wells to get the entire strut to clear. If you don't mind them hanging out in the wind stream a bit, you could just bolt em in.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:17 AM
taildraggerdave

Edwin over at Hobby-Zone.Com in Glendale, Calif. has these planes in stock. He is a distributor for Airborne/WM and carries the entire line of planes. He has a really nice shop and stocks most items. I noticed that viper21 is in Orange,Ca. and that would be less than an hours drive........He also does UPS.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:26 AM
viper21

Dave, I will call Quantum models tomorrow and see if they got there shipment of airplanes in yet and if not I will cancel my order. I just don't want to buy two airplanes[:-] I think that I am going to get the CJM retracts and they come with struts so it makes it simple. I already have a new Robart adjustable air valve so they should work out well. I have heard good and bad things about CJM Retracts so I am going give them a shot. I think I will put the Sierra's into my Top Flight 1/5 kit I will build this winter.
Thanks Joe
Old 08-02-2004, 12:50 PM
viper21

Dave, I just called Quantum and they still don't have them so I cancelled the order. I will go online and check out your source Dave and if that doesn't work I will try Airborne its only in No Cal and a truck ride away.
Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.